Old Churches of Lanark County-from Rootsweb
“Auld Kirk” 1836
This stone church, an attractive example of an early form of Gothic Revival architecture, was constructed in 1835-36 on land obtain from John Mitchell, one of Ramsay Township’s earliest settlers. Built by the local congregation of the Established Church of Scotland it was also attended by Presbyterians from adjoining townships. The early settlers of Ramsay were visited by ministers from Drummond and Beckwith but in 1834 the first resident minister, the Reverend John Fairburn was inducted. In January 1864, during the ministry of the Reverend John McMorine (1846 – 1867), a new church was opened in nearby Almonte. Although little used since then, the “Auld Kirk” stands as a memorial to the pioneer Presbyterian Settlers.
This is the Old Baptist Church located in Drummond Township near Prestonvale, Ont.
Bethel Methodist Church – 1893 to 1942, located in Bathurst Township.
The church is no longer standing, but there is a picture of the church on the plaque in the upper left hand corner.
“Erected by the Bethel W. I. to commemorate their 50th anniversary in 1987”
Boyd Settlement United Church, located on lot 7, concession 11, Lanark Township.
Ramsay Free Church and Manse, located on lot 15, concession 8, Ramsay Township.
The manse is still being used as a private residence today, but the church has gone. You can see the church to the left of the manse in the picture. These buildings were built around 1840 – 1850.
Grace Church, located in the Village of Clayton, which no longer exists.
Guthrie United Church, located in the Village of Clayton and is still in use today.
St. James Church, located at Hood, Ont., was built around 1860, located at lot 16, concession 3, Dalhousie Township.
This church is no longer being used.
Rosetta United Church, located in the Village of Rosetta.
This church is no longer being used.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Almonte, Ontario.
This church is still being used.
St. Augustine’s Anglican Church, Prospect, Ontario.
This church is not being used regularly.
St. Declan’s Roman Catholic Church – French Line, near Brightside, Ontario.
This church is still being used today,
St. George’s Anglican Church, Village of Clayton, Ontario.
St. John’s Anglican Church, Innisville, Ontario.
St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church – Ferguson Falls, Ontario.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church – Village of Lanark, Ontario.
Prospect United Church – Prospect, Ontario.
Almonte United Church – Almonte, Ontario – 1861.
Baptist Church – Carleton Place, Ontario.
Baptist Church – Tennyson, Ontario.
Zion Presbyterian Church, Albert St. Carleton Place, Ontario, which was re-built June 1911, after the first stone church burnt in 1910.
It then became the Zion United Church in 1925 with the Union of churches.
Now is the Carleton Place Cinema and Fitness Centre.
Former Church at Black’s Corners, Ontario – not used anymore.
Trinity Methodist Church – “Dungarvon Company” – Almonte, Ontario – not used anymore.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church – Carleton Place, Ontario.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church – Perth, Ontario – 1818.
St. James Anglican Church – Perth, Ontario – 1818.
St. James Anglican Church – Carleton Place, Ontario.
St. John The Baptist Roman Catholic Church – Perth, Ontario – 1818.
St. Johns Presbyterian Church – Almonte, Ontario – 1865.
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church – Carleton Place, Ontario – First mass was on Christmas Day, 1884.
St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church – Almonte, Ontario – 1869.
Wesleyan Methodist Church. The corner stone was laid May 1888 – Carleton Place, Ontario.
In 1925 it became the Memorial Park United Church with the Churches Union and then became the Zion-Memorial United Church on the 1st of July, 1966.
Baptist Church, Reserve St., Almonte, Ont.
Reformed Presbyterian Church on Bay Hill, Almonte, Ont.
Photo taken 1959
Photos by Keith Thompson – Posted: 24 December, 2001 – Up-Dated – 7 February, 2002.
Last two photos by Fran Cooper, email@example.com
Baptist Church – Middleville, Ontario – Built 1886 – not used today.
The church has been moved over to the center of the lot and is being renovated as a private residence.
Congregational Church – Middleville – Built 1884 – not used today.
Trinity United Church – Middleville. They recently built a kitchen and an office at the rear.
Pictures by: Keith Thompson Posted 18 February, 2002.
The old church at Appleton, Ontario, now a private home.
Picture taken by Keith Thompson, 5 March, 2002 Posted 6 March 2002.
Knox Presbyterian Church (left side) and Manse (right side) at McDonald’s Corners, Ontario.
Pictures supplied by: Kelly Deering – firstname.lastname@example.org Posted 18 March, 2002.
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church under construction about 1890’s, Lanark Village.
Drovers who transported the limestone for the above church from the W. C. Stead quarry.
Church in Lanark Village.