It seems the “then Rector” Elliot of St. James Anglican Church in Carleton Place was in poor health in August of 1899. Did he go down south, or somewhere out of the way? No, he went to St. John the Apostle in Cacouna, and elsewhere east in Quebec. Why there? I imagine he went to the summer retreat called the Clergy House of Retreat, founded in 1891 that was located on the land in front of the church. It operated until 1952, when it became the house for the summer chaplains to the parish. In bad need of repair the Clergy House of Retreat was torn down in 1962 when a new parsonage was purchased. Rector Elliot came back in better health and brought back 14 new pounds on his body.
St. John the Apostle was a summer church, built in 1865, and donated to the Lord Bishop to serve as a church for the many English speaking families that had summer houses in the area. Rector Elliot came back to Carleton Place in better health and with 14 extra pounds ready to serve his congregation once again. Rector, Rev.Canon Elliot was the longest serving rector in St. James from 1890-1925
Cacouna is a municipality in the Rivière-du-Loup Regional County Municipality within the Bas-Saint-Laurent region of Quebec. It is located on the south shore of the Saint Lawrence River along Route 132.The land had been occupied since 1721, by a number of families. After the deportation of Acadians from Quebec in 1758, several Acadians established residence on the land, living as squatters.
At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, with the construction of the railway to Rivière-du-Loup and the Maritime provinces, several wealthy Anglophone families from Montreal and Toronto built luxury villas in Cacouna, some of which still stand today. In the summer, the village was as a site of beachgoing, celebration and relaxation for these vacationers, providing employment to villagers working in the service industry. The vacationers began to slowly leave Cacouna during the Great Depression.
St. James Anglican Church – Carleton Place, Ontario.
Other picture Linda Seccaspina
Newspaper clipping from 1899
Related reading. Reflections of the Old Parrish Hall (Elliot Hall)