The funeral of the late George Bradford took place on Saturday afternoon to the Auld Kirk Cemetery under ih e auspices o f Alpha Lodge LO.O.F. It. was largely attended. The service was impressively conducted by Rev. J. T. Blanchard, assisted by Rev. J McCrae. His passing after a very brief illness following a cold came as a great shock to his many friends.
Mr. Bradford, who was in his seventy-fifth year, was born in Darling in 1851, the son of Benjamin F. Bradford and his wife, Jean Watt. He was the only living member of his own immediate family. Three sisters, Jean, Mrs. J. Nicklol of Darling; Eunice, Mrs, W. James; Port Sydney, Ont.; Agnes, Mrs. P. Morriss, of Middleville; three, brothers, W illiam , Alden and Frank all have pre-deceased him.
The late Mr. Bradford was married fifty-two years ago to Miss Mary J. Beckett, daughter of Mr. M. Beckett, of Fitzroy, and leaven to mourn his loss, his widow, a daughter, ‘Dorcas’, Mrs. Herbert Black, o of Toronto, and one son, Mr. Sumner Bradford, of New Liskguard,. His second son Harold of Braeside died a year ago.
The passing of Mr. Bradford has removed from the community a gentleman whose quiet, kindly manner had endeared him to his many friends. He was a lover of the great out-door-Iife of the woods, lakes and rivers, and perhaps one of the nearest interests to his heart was hunting and fishing.
An active member of local hunting parties he will long be remembered. Less than a month ago he visited his camp at W hite Lake which he had built for his own pleasure in 1924. With such an inherent love for outdoor life seldom indeed can be found a man who has filled such a place in the bigger activities of life, leaving as he does so many splendid monuments to his skill and integrity as a mason and contractor.
Mr. Bradford served his apprenticeship to the late Robert Scott of Almonte but soon after finishing his trade as mason started to contract for himself. Most of his work is well known to the community and includes:
The C.P.R . Station at Almonte
The Extension to the Post Office at Almonte,
The extension to St. John’s Church,
The piers and abutments of both iron bridges at Almonte, the Rosamond Woolen Co. Factory and Office,
The residence of Mr. Bennett Rosamond, and residence of Mr. Archie Rosamond,
the residence of Mr. J. B. Wylie,
the residence of Mr. Percy Jamieson,
the Catholic Church of Lanark Village,
The R. C. church of Fort Coulonge,
the Presbyterian church White Lake
the Presbyterian church of Lanark Village,
the Presbyterian church of Perth,
fthe Presbyterian church of Clayton,
thePresbyterian church of Balderson,
the Anglican church at Woodlawn,
the Anglican Church of Smiths Falls, and the post office at smiths falls.
House of Industry at Perth,
the Railwaiy Station at Temagami,
the Office at North Bay
He was government inspector on the T. and N.O. from North Bay to Cochrane, and government inspector on the Long Sault canals near Montreal.
During the winter months he was manager of the Rosamond shanties for over 25 years. His last positions previous Smiths Falls, the McGllllvray Bank —to his death was inspector of the now power plant at Almonte.
St. Patrick, Fergusons FallsIn 1823 St. Patrick’s Church was built in Ferguson’s Falls and the area faithful traveled the much shorter route to and from services. Finally, in 1903. the current Sacred Heart of Jesus Church was completed on Princess Street. The grey limestone building was quarried just outside Lanark and each family was responsible for drawing a certain quantity of stone to the building site. The church became the local church for the residents of Ferguson’s Falls and McDonald’s Corners, those churches becoming mission parishes of Sacred Heart.
The planning and building was directed by Father Michael O’Rourke, pastor of Carleton Place. A Mr. Webster from Brockville was the supervising builder, Mr. George Bradford of Almont directed the masonry work and Caspar S. Speagle of Westport the carpentry, all with assistance from parishioners. The total cost of construction was approximately $6,000. The local quarry was closed immediately after the church was built, make the stone color of this church unique throughout the region.
And the Stone and Brick Masons Marched– Jennie Marshal Brian 1901
Putting a Face to Levi Brian, Stonemason, of Carleton Place
In Memory of Jack Wilson — The Mason’s Mason
The Mystery of the Masonic Rock – Pakenham
The Mahoney Legacy Ends–Masonry Runs in the Blood