This is Ben White. Some of you know him as Blair and Teri White’s son. A few of you recognize him as the nephew of Bill and Bob White. I know him because he is my neighbour, Joyce White’s grandson. It doesn’t matter how you met him, you should be aware that the High-Schooler is an up and coming triple threat to the Food Network chefs. Ben and his brother Emmett share my Celiac disease, so all Ben’s recipes are gluten-free. His Mother has also set up a Facebook page called Go Gluten Free so everyone can share their gluten free recipes. As he told his father, local plumber, Blair White,
“Dad, you fix peoples pipes, I fix up people’s taste buds!!
Ben loves hockey, and did I mention he really loves hockey? You can also see him “out and about” with his Dad when his mother, Swirlicious owner, Teri, presents her spectacular fashions at our local events. His vivacious mother just loves coming home and finding Ben making the family a roast beef dinner. Ben, if you get bored with “your people”, you can always come over here, and leftovers are always welcome.
There is no mention of Ben’s age on his Facebook page, only that he was born Sept.23, so ladies, I say it’s ‘open season’ on Ben. Word ‘up the line’ is he also makes his bed in the morning! What do I love about Ben White the most? The fact that he appreciates that he comes from a small town. No matter what you do in life, ‘home’ is always the place you can come back too.
Next Sunday it’s Ben’s recipe for Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cups..
- 3 large (and I mean large) dill pickles, cut lengthwise into 4 spears each
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour, divided
- ½ cup water (plus more for thinning as needed)
- ½ cup gluten-free vegan bread crumbs
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oil in deep-fryer to about 375°F, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Arrange three shallow dishes with edges in a row. Place ¼ cup of the brown rice flour in the first dish. Whisk the remaining ½ cup of brown rice flour with water in the second dish. Add more water by the tablespoon as needed to thin to a pancake-batter consistency. Mix gluten-free bread crumbs and garlic powder in the third dish.
- Roll the pickle spears in the brown rice flour until they’re just lightly coated. Dust off any excess.
- Dip in the batter. Don’t let too much drip off as it may come off in big dollops.
- Roll gently in seasoned bread crumbs to cover the batter completely.
- Place gently in the hot oil. Fry until just lightly browned – about 5-10 minutes depending on your deep fryer.
- Remove and let drain on to a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve hot.
For the Facebook Group:
- PLEASE JOIN US!
- Remember the old newspaper Social Columns? If you have events submit them to the Facebook group Carleton Place Social Scene– but if you have tidbits you would like to share like: the birth of a baby, birthdays, someone passed, someone visiting, etc, just PM me on Facebook and we will include them on
If you have photos that’s great too!