The township of Ramsay’s first lady school trustee is Mrs. W . A. Gilmour. At the annual meeting of School Section No. 5, Ramsay, held on Wednesday, Mrs. Gilmour was elected to fill the position for the next three years.
Mrs. Gilmour has a high reputation as an educationist, and there is much satisfaction that she should be tendered this appointment and that she should accept it. She is a daughter of the late Robert Yuill at Ramsay, and was married to Mr. William A. Gilmour, one of the most prominent agriculturists in Ramsay. Both Yuills and Giimours were amongst the first settlers from Scotland in this part of the area.
S.S. No. 5 Ramsay – Galbraith School
Daniel Galbraith purchased land on the West half of Lot 11, Concession 5 in Ramsay township in 1855. He sold half an acre to the trustees in 1870 for $1.00. The first teacher was Nell Forest. Ratepayers became enraged when the Ramsay Township School Boarded voted to close the school, so in 1958, S.S. No. 5 became a separate school section. Ratepayers donated two cords of wood per family. A new piano was purchased and a music teacher was hired. In 1969, the rural pupils were bussed to Almonte or Carleton Place. .
S.S. No. 5 Ramsay – Galbraith School—Daniel Galbraith purchased land on the West half of Lot 11, Concession 5 in Ramsay township in 1855. He sold half an acre to the trustees in 1870 for $1.00. The first teacher was Nell Forest. Ratepayers became enraged when the Ramsay Township School Boarded voted to close the school, so in 1958, S.S. No. 5 became a separate school section. Ratepayers donated two cords of wood per family. A new piano was purchased and a music teacher was hired. In 1969, the rural pupils were bussed to Almonte or Carleton Place. The school was moved across the road to become Bert Hazelwood’s cabin in his bush. Read-Recollections of Bert Hazelwood 1973
August 21, 2021 · It’s almost back-to-school and we’re going through our school books collection! This copy of ‘Vitalized English’ was used in the S.S. No. 5 Ramsay school – called the Galbraith School. The land (Lot 11, Concession 5 in Ramsay Township) was purchased in 1855 by Daniel Galbraith, who sold half an acre of that land to school trustees in 1870 for $1.
The school operated until 1969 when the Government of Ontario mandated the consolidation of county school boards, and students were bussed to either Almonte or Carleton Place for their education.
She is probably the oldest resident of the north riding—known by the familiar name of Mrs. Eliza Smith, who resides with her son, Mr. Thos. Smith, of Lanark township. This lady has attained the remarkable age of almost one hundred years.
Mrs. Smith was born September 15th, 1799 (only nine years alter the Rev. T. Wesley died), in the county of Carlow, Ireland. At a glance one will see that the period which this lady’s life covers stretches over one of the most important eras that ever dawned upon the world. Born twenty-one years before our gracious Queen, she has lived to see the greatest development in the way of science, commerce and invention that ever transpired.
She crossed the Atlantic (via Quebec) in the year 1820, at the age of twenty one. The voyage then was not accomplished so expeditiously as in our day. Her lot was cast in a time when it took a couple of months or more to cross over to this country. Steam power was then practically in its embryonic state) and was made little use of to propel the ships across the sea.
Accordingly she was nine weeks in crossing the ocean, and with the poor facilities obtainable in those days she and her parents (Mr. and Mrs. Tennant) made their way, as best they could from Montreal to Upper Canada, and settled in North Lanark, where they resided.
After a brief stay in the township of Ramsay they took up their abode in Lanark township, and hewed out for themselves a home in the dense forests that then spread over this vast continent. Soon after her parents had settled down she got married to Mr. James Smith. The nuptial ceremony was performed in the city of Ogdensburg, N.Y., by the English church clergyman stationed there, he being the nearest available clergyman.
Her husband died her and the marriage was blessed by the birth of fourteen children, eight of whom were sons. In. the order of their birth we give their names/sons: George, Joseph, Richard, James, Thomas, John, Robert and Charles. Names of daughters : Ann (Mrs. Young), Sarah (Mrs. John Smith), Eliza (Mrs. Anthony Woods), Mary (Mrs. Chas. Finlay son), Frances (at home), and Catherine (Mrs. Robert Watchorn). Four of the sons died early— George, Richard, John and Robert; but all the daughters remained living.
The number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren is remarkable. In 1898 she had fifty-nine grandchildren, and forty-three great-grandchildren— in all one hundred and sixteen children (including those of the third generation). Her oldest great-grandson was twenty-six years of age, and lives at Micksburg, in Renfrew county. So far as nature is concerned, another generation in this wonderful family might easily have been represented ; and who knows that even yet the-fifth might be represented before she closes her eyes in death.
The eldest daughter is seventy-seven years of age. One very interesting thing about the old lady is that, even at her great age, she is able to read her Bible and Prayer-Book without the aid of glasses, and can take a better morning’s walk than many twenty years her junior. She has the use of her faculties to a surprising degree, and so far as appearances go the venerable woman is likely to see the dawn of “the coming century”.
The writer is informed that only one day before the “centenary party” of this lady was held a month or so ago, she hemmed a handkerchief by hand and without the aid of glasses, and did it as well as any young woman could have done.
For fear, however, that a breakdown should be nearer than is expected, the centenary party mentioned above was held to commemorate the hundredth year of this old lady. Over one hundred relatives and friends were invited to it.
An immense table, richly spread with dainties of every kind, was erected in a building adjoining the house, and there the gladsome crowd satiated their tempted appetites. Mrs. Smith was able to sit at the head of the table, to participate in many of the good things, and to cast a matriarchal glance down the ranks that lined the table.
After the repast, by special appointment, Messrs. Benoit & Richards, photographers, Carleton Place, took a portrait of the centenarian. A portrait of the entire group (about 120 in all) was also taken, after which, at the request of Mrs. Smith, there was some singing, and prayers were offered up by her clergyman, Rev. J. Fairburn, who, together with his wife and daughter, were among the invited guests.
The old lady and her family are devoted members of the Church of England. At one time (during the Rev. Mr. Boswell’s and Rev. Mr. Mulock’s times) she and her family used to attend St. John’s church, Innisville, but subsequently they attended the old St. George’s church (alias the Bowland church). At present they belong to Grace church congregation, Clayton, to which church the family now comes.
Mrs. Smith is the oldest member (by many years) of this church, and whenever a new church is built at Clayton we doubt not but that a handsome memorial donation will be given in her behalf. We cannot conclude this little memo of her life without wishing her the very best of Christmas joys, hoping that she may be spared longer.
Elsie Scheel was crowned the perfect woman by Cornell University in December of 1912. Before photoshop was even a thought The Times called Scheel “the most nearly perfect physical specimen of womanhood.” She also consumed beefsteak, never drank tea or coffee and was interested in cars, horticulture and was a suffragette.
Scheel, who was picked from a group of 400 Cornell women was 5ft. 7in. tall and weighed 171 pounds. It is safe to say that culture of 1912 held a very different ideal of female physical perfection than the one we see promoted today in the majority of women’s magazines, and in movies. In January 2010, blogger Kate Harding calculated what Scheel’s BMI would have been. She wrote:
Miss Elsie Scheel’s BMI would have been 26.8, placing her squarely in today’s dreaded “overweight” category. At Banana Republic, to pick a random contemporary store, she would wear a size 8 top, a 12/14 bottom, and probably a 12 dress with the bust taken in.
I wonder how being labeled a “perfect woman” in the newspapers affected Elsie’s life. Back about the time Ms. Scheel was born, Lillian Russell (American Actress and Singer b. 1861 d.1922) was considered the most beautiful woman in America. At the height of her fame Russell was 5′ 6″ and weighed 180 lbs. Remember that, in 1912, “thin” equaled “sick.” The inference would have been that if someone was thin it was because they suffered from tuberculosis or some other incurable wasting disease. Fifteen years after that, the ideal woman was shorter and completely flat chested. Fast forward to 2012 and the general consensus among the “experts” would be:
“Poor girl. She desperately needs to lose at least 40 pounds”!
In my opinion the problem with some women today is that they all want to follow that “model body” or “teenager body” regimen. They aren’t even fat, yet, they feel they need to look like match sticks. In reality every woman is perfect and it doesn’t matter what your body size is. If you go to My Body Gallery and type in your weight and height you will see what normal women looks like.
Back in 1912 they didn’t have magazine covers with photoshopped women to create unreal expectations on men and other women. I honestly can’t wait to see “Miss Perfect 2015”
Will she be a size -5?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After all, even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own images.
Legend has it that in the sleepy village of Appleton, Ontario there is a house that was once built in the 1830’s for an affluent husband and wife that has been haunted for years.
When the couple found they had extra room in the house they invited the husband’s sister to live with them. She was a spinster through and through and life was fine until their brother passed away leaving twelve children behind to raise. Her brother and sister-in-law told the children to call the spinster: “Mummy dear”.
In time the children slowly drove the spinster to insanity, causing her to have a premature death.
The spinster’s soul never left the home and in 1970 a young family bought the very same house for a “song”.
They were never told that the house was haunted but were enthralled that the home came complete with a cemetery with seven graves.
The family started to see things out of the corner of their eyes and noted a constant cold spiritual presence when their young daughter was in one of the rooms.
They assumed that the spinster was none too happy about another child coming into the home after being driven to an early death by 12 others.
Her heart was cold and she could not let a single child’s voice disturb her further in her never ending unrest.
As years passed, she left the family at peace when she realized she would not have to look after their child. Some nights they can see her spirit roam through the hollyhocks and hear the swish of her skirts. People swear they can hear her repetitive angry whispering as the ghosts of twelve children follow her calling her “Mummy Dear!”
True story told to me this weekend and parts can be found in the book Ontario Ghost Stories by Barbara Smith.
Some people imagine Victorian women to have been prudish, reserved, and submissive to men—but many of the ‘spinsters’ who entered that competition were anything but. They were witty, irreverent, and proudly independent. I thought that was worth sharing.