Tag Archives: The Tannery School

Tidbits About Ramsay S.S. #9 The Tannery School

Standard
Tidbits About Ramsay S.S. #9 The Tannery School

35656766_10155829581791886_3394977579390730240_n.jpg

Photo 1981 thanks to Lorraine Nephin- Bruce Sadler’s vintage Canadian/Almonte newspapers

 

1.Built in 1856 the one room school house was on the 8th line of Ramsay and after it was closed it was converted into a private home.

2. The youngsters played games in the schoolyard and had nature walks along Wolf Creek.

35530723_10155829591591886_3786558938997063680_n.jpg

Photo 1981 thanks to Lorraine Nephin- Bruce Sadler’s vintage Canadian/Almonte newspapers

 

3. Edna Scott attended S.S. #9 before the turn of the century and grew up in a house just up the hill. Miss Edith McKecnie was her teacher and yellow flowers grew around the school.

4. Did you know Wolf Creek once overflowed its banks that the water was so high up on the road that some students had to be driven to school as it was waist deep.

5. Miss Edna Lowry (Gardiner) taught part of a term at the Tannery School as it was known in the Spring of 1916.

6. Mr. John C. Sutherland was once school master from 1923 to 1928 and  the first male teacher. There were 5 scholars: John Waddell, Graham Simpson, Jean Naismith and Charlie and Harold More.

7. Mr. Sutherland was paid 80 dollars a month: $50 savings, $20 for room and board to his mother and that left him $10 a month for spending money.

 

35542718_10155829581796886_6736555851865128960_n.jpg

Photo 1981 thanks to Lorraine Nephin- Bruce Sadler’s vintage Canadian/Almonte newspapers

 

8. From 1928-1938 Miss Winnie Lamrock taught school. One of her former students Logan More kept a dollar coin Miss Lamrock gave him for work well done at school. Mr. More was once Ramsay Township’s road superindent.

9.  Lila Corkery was the school’s last teacher. She taught there for 12 years from 1958-1970 when the school finally closed and she was bussed to Naismith School in Almonte.

Dawn Jones said.. It was Lily Corkery not Lila.. Thanks Dawn~

 

 

historicalnotes

9848772 (1).jpg

S.S. No. 9 Ramsay, 1898 – Courtesy of Edna Scott & Jean Macpherson. Seated: Dan Barnes and Wilfred Barnes Standing: Gertie Allen, Eva Shane, Hanna Coon, Julia Burke, Lillian Scott, Eva Coon (in front of Lillian), Edna Scott, Pearl Allen, Orville Allen, Annie Burke, Bertha Craig, Mary Burke, Laura Scott, Alfred Ragsdale, and teacher Edith McKechnie beside her bicycle

S.S. No. 9 Ramsay – Leckie’s Corners, School, Hillside Public School or The Tannery
1953 Ramsay Con 8, Almonte

Built in 1856 of local limestone on the 8th Line of Ramsay Township just west of current day Almonte, S.S. No. 9 Ramsay is an excellent example of a mid-nineteenth century rural schoolhouse.  It remained in continuous service as a school and meeting hall for the residents of Leckie’s Corners and surrounding area for 114 years.  In 1917, the school inspector, Willis Froates wrote that the school should be condemned, but not much was done to improve the situation. In the 1940s, music teachers, Hector Dalimore and later Dana Featherstone, travelled to the different schools in the area. Teacher, Miss Winnie Lamrock gave each pupil, who did well, a silver dollar in 1937 when King George VI was crowned. Mrs. Lillie Corkery began teaching in this school in 1958, until it closed in 1970. In 1984, this property was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act for its architectural and social importance.  Michael and Jean Macpherson converted the school to a home when they became the owners in 1971.

7684189_orig (3).jpg

Afghan knitted by students at S.S. No. 9 Ramsay as part of the war effort, 1943 – Courtesy of Ray Barr. Back: Myrna Papineau, Earl McIntyre, Iris More, Donald Barr, Bob Rollins. 2nd Row: Irene McIntyre, Elsie More, Irene More, Elizabeth More, Jean McGregor, Ruth Rollins, Ray Barr, Bert More, Laurie More, John More, Gordie Barr. Front: Margaret More, Carmel More, Lois Rollins, James Gleeson.

69378441_10156699019026886_2107050671256633344_n

68897953_10156700983131886_6806488875905581056_n.jpg

 

From the scrapbook of Joan Stoddart

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place and The Tales of Almonte

 

The House on the Hill — Up the 8th Line of Ramsay — Jaan Kolk Files

The Grieg School– The Fire and Mrs. Pearl McCann

Ramsay Barn Fire-Why Were the Tracks on Fire?