Herb, Earl and Isobel Tooley at Mountain School (SS No. 14) ca 1935
Judd and his family logged, farmed and raised cattle on the mountain. Their son Herb remembered walking cattle from the farm to the Lavant train station where they were loaded and shipped to markets.
Logging was one of the main industries in the area during those times, and employed many local families. Harvested pine from the surrounding area often was floated through Mackie Lake into the small creek at the north end of the lake. From there they were moved into Long Schooner and Round Schooner and through Mackie Creek into the Madawaska River. Rapids existed on both creeks so wooden chutes (or slides) allowed the logs to bypass the rapids. When Herb was about 15 or 16 years old, his grandfather, Luther Tooley, lost his leg in a logging accident on the trail between Proudfoot Bay on Fortune Lake and Brule Lake. He managed with a wooden leg for the rest of his life.
The remains of several old logging roads still exist around the lake, one of which follows the creek down from Camp Lake. Another one branches off Mountain Road and leads into the marsh at the south end of the lake, where at one time marsh hay was cut.
In the 1920’s, Louise’s parents Julius and Carlena (Hartmann) opened a tourist lodge on their homestead on Sand Lake, and Luther (Judd’s father) operated a hunting & fishing camp on Brule Lake. Now known as “Pleasantview Lodge”, the large log cabin on the site was actually moved there by Judd and his brother John, from their mother Emma’s (Wood) homestead. Read more here… click
Mrs. Harriet Lewis authored “Outside Her Eden” during the nineteenth century. This advertisement was in the back of the book.
Stuart McIntosh sent this photo to me and of course there was a story..:)It seems Harriet was doing a lot of writing for her husband Leon LOLOL
Working name of US author Julius Warren Lewis (1833-1920), who called himself “the Dumas of America”, and who recorded himself on census returns as Leon Lewis; much of his early work was done in collaboration with his wife, the romance author Harriet Lewis (1841-1878).
In 1856 Leon Lewis had married 15 year old Harriet Newell O’Brien, born at Penn Yann, N. Y. in 1841. Harriet began writing serials for the New York Weekly in 1865. Between 1868 and 1878 the two authors wrote separately and in collaboration for the New York Ledger. The couple was so popular that they were paid enormous sums by the story papers and lived in “grand style” at Penn Yann. Harriet Lewis died 20 May, 1878 at Rochester, N.Y. She was 37 years old.
Harriet’s Husband Leon Lewis
Julius Warren Lewis, better known as “Leon” Lewis, was born in Southington, Connecticut, April 8, 1833, the second son but fourth child of James Dana Lewis and his wife Patty Bishop. His brothers and sisters were James B. (1825-1869), Sarah Ann (Mrs. Charles W. Risley, 1827-1921), Mary Ann (Mrs. George Bronson, 1830-1898), and John Woodruff (“Juan,” 1835-1919).
“Leon’s” schooling was limited to a few winter months while doing chores for his board and clothes on the farm of his uncle Gideon Dunham, the husband of James Dana Lewis’ sister Mary. He was, however, of a literary turn of mind, and began writing at the age of 18. He was also romantic, for about this time he read an article in a Sabbath School Journal, written and signed by “Harriet Newell” which impressed him and led to a correspondence with the writer, Harriet Newell O’Brien (1841-1878), of Penn Yan, New York.
Afterwards they met, were married in 1856 when she was 15 and he was 23, and thereafter lived in Penn Yan.Then began a literary collaboration which lasted during Harriet’s entire life. While each wrote independent stories, many were written in collaboration, and even some of those signed with Leon’s name were written by Harriet. In a letter to Robert Bonner, she wrote: No person, man or woman, has any hand in writing Mr. Lewis’ stories save myself. And no one assists me for I love to write better than to do anything else in the world. From Leon Lewis Click
In January 1879, Leon Lewis went ‘missing,’ from his home in Penn Yann, N.Y., leaving in scandalous circumstances. He sailed off to Europe in the company of his niece, “Miss Julia Wheelock, fifteen years of age.” At Brazil, Leon stepped off the steamer and married his young ward.
Leon Lewis was divorced from his second wife in 1913 and died at Winstead, Connecticut 28 Oct 1920.
Those were the days you could make money on a sugar bush. Most farmers now only make enough for their own use and it is usually over an open fire. They still use wood to get the highest heat. I have some great memories of staying up all night with my dad to stoke the fire.
Maple Pudding— One and one half cups milk, 2eggs, 1 tbsp gelatine granulated– 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup maple syrup. 18 cup shredded almonds, canned peaches. Scald milk and pour slowly over the well beaten yolks of the eggs. Add salt and put in double boiler and cook five minutes, soften gelatine in cold water. Add to first mixture, stirring well. Remove from fire and add maple syrup. Let cool
In praise of school bus drivers: for navigating through conditions of ice, rain, snow and sleet down narrow backroads and high volume highways. For delivering precious cargo from before daylight on cold winter mornings to the beginning of those hot late June afternoons especially when heaters and air conditioners are window operated.
For driving while dealing with all the internal and external complications of a trip. For doing your safety checks, log books, minor repairs, cleaning and forever dealing with mechanical and communication issues. More importantly for being there as that reliable person during such difficult times.
Emma Scott (1880-1940) was the daughter of Methodist minister Reverend James Scott and spent her childhood in Owen Sound, Ontario. She studied art in Toronto before moving to Colorado to teach painting, where she met William Raff. They married, and Emma gave birth to a daughter, Dorothy Raff, shortly before William’s sudden death.
Scott returned to Toronto and continued her studies at the Conservatory of Music. From there, she took post-graduate work at the Curry School of Expression in Boston and at the Gower St. Academy in London. Eventually she returned to Toronto, where she worked at the Conservatory of Music and also at Victoria College, teaching courses in expression.
In 1901, she opened her own School of Expression at the corner of Bloor and Yonge streets in Toronto, and established herself as Principal of Elocution, Oratory, Physical Culture, and Dramatic Art. One of her first pupils was Margaret Eaton, wife of Timothy Eaton, founder of the Eaton Company. The Eaton family acted as benefactors of the school, and eventually it was renamed The Margaret Eaton School of Literature and Expression. Scott continued as principal of the school until 1925.
Her public performances of classic literature and her enthusiastic advocacy for drama and music made her a prominent figure in the cultural world of Toronto in the early 1900’s. As founder of The Margaret Eaton School, she provided a valuable education to women at a time when women’s educational options were very limited.
Bill McIntosh and Orland Moses hooking up the team. Most teamsters will tell you: the neck yoke gets hooked first and unhooked last. How far the links are hooked from the D/ring depends on your team.
Mr. Salter owned the Queen’s Hotel in Carleton Place and during the decades, he and Mrs. Chatterton swapped ownership back and forth through the years. Who knew what was going on between the two of them? On the 31st of March in 1932 Mr. Salter was very lucky he did not lose his life that day when he drove Mr. Hambly of Ottawa who was a guest of the hotel to Lake Park on Mississippi Lake.
The horse was going at a great clip as he turned in to stop at the front door. But the horse had other ideas and turned in sharp and the cutter struck a stone and the occupants were thrown out. Mr. Salter’s head struck the hard road and he was knocked out cold. There was a large gash on his head from back to front and the blood flowed from the gash.
Friends flocked around and he was carried into the Queen’s Hotel and Dr. Sinclair was summoned and Salter’s wounds were dressed and word was he suffered great pain.
Dec. 15, 1871 – A lad of 14 years, Charles Boyle, son of a widow residing in Almonte, came to a violent death in the following manner. He was attending a threshing machine on Monday when he came hastily out of the barn and put two span of horses in motion. Before the driver could succeed in stopping them the unfortunate lad was caught in the coupling which attached the horse power to the spindle driving the machine, and which dragged him roughly around. His leg was badly broken also his ankle, his neck badly cut, besides other injuries. He lived only two hours after the accident.
July 20, 1888- On Friday morning, Findlay and Thomas McIntyre were drawing in hay and the horses became frightened and ran away across the field, jumping the fence and Thomas who was on the wagon, was thrown to the ground and dragged for several yards and when his brother Findlay reached the spot he found him insensible. He breathed only a few minutes and passed away.
November, 1841 – William Burley, Constable for Division #5, Bathurst District, while on the discharge of his duties, in returning home at a late hour on the night of Saturday, 13th, was unfortunately killed by falling from his horse about two miles distant from Fitzroy Harbor on the road to the village of Pakenham.
Feb., 1870 – A young man named Corkerry, 6th Line Ramsay, was driving a sleigh loaded with wood and when descending a hill part of the load fell off the sleigh taking Corkerry along with it. The horses took fright and started off. The young man was thrown in front of one of the runners on the sleigh and was dragged in that position for some distance when the sleigh passed over his body, crushing it severely. This accident was witnessed by two men in front who stopped the horses and went to his assistance. He lingered for 24 hours when death put an end to his sufferings.
June 27, 1873 – A fatal accident by a runaway horse occurred at Hopetown in the township of Lanark last week. It appears that the horse, on being tied to a post, became frightened and in some way pulled out the post and ran off. John Stewart of that place on seeing this ran around the building for the purpose of stopping the horse but came in contact with it, receiving such a wound on the breast that it caused his death in a few hours.
Following, once again, the apparent success of a western Ontario institution, the Dominion Dairy Branch opened the Eastern Dairy School the following year through the Queen’s University’s School of Mining and Agriculture at their Kingston campus.
The long courses included: practical, laboratory-based classes in testing milk, cheese and butter making, repairing boilers, and keeping factory accounts, but also required students to attend lectures in bacteriology and chemistry.
The Eastern Dairy School stressed that “In the cheese-making department students…are encouraged to discuss matters connected with their art.
Experimentation was central to these dual goals, and the calendar for the Eastern Dairy School stressed that “In the cheese-making department” students…are encouraged to discuss matters connected with their art, and to experiment.
The Eastern Dairy School’s program calendar stated that, “students may remain at the school as long as they wish, provided they show an interest in their work and conduct themselves in an orderly manner.
Beginning in 1911, only cheese- and buttermakers with aprofessional certificate from the Eastern Dairy School or OAC would be allowed to manage a cheese factory or creamery, unless granted a “special permit from the minister of Agriculture on the grounds of experience and competency.