Tag Archives: sinclair

Robbery at Sinclairs 1886

Standard
Robbery at Sinclairs 1886
Photo: Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage MuseumLost Buildings–Sinclair Brothers Tailor Shop

The Herald says:

On Monday morning, about 2 o’clock, Mr. F. Hollingsworth waa disturbed by some unusual noise, and on getting up and lookout of his window observed a man standing in the passage way between his place and the tailor shop of Mr. Colin Sinclair. The stranger hearing the rustle moved off, and Mr. Hollingsworth retired again, thinking nothing more of it at the time, but on the store of Mr. Sinclair being opened in the morning it was soon evident that strangers had been there.

They effected an entrance through a back staircase into a room where Mr. Sinclair keeps a heater for his irons in the summer season. Here they cut hole beside the lock in the door leading to the workshop, and opened it from the inside, the key being in the lock. From the workshop they descended to the front store and repeated the same operation again, for the door at the foot of the staira was also bolted from the other side.

The burglars here appropriated a suit of clothes, two pieces of cloth, all the silk handkerchiefs they could find, some ties, and nearly all the cuff buttons and shirt studs, also a hat, and possibly more articles not yet missed. They retired by the same way they entered. There is no clue or suspicion as to the daring thieves. This now is the third burglary within as many weeks within our quiet town, and it is about time some action was being taken in the matter. The brace used in this instance was identified by Mr. Graham as his. It.was stolen from his shop, an entrance being effected by a back window.

1886-07-23-01

Sinclair store is now Sinclair Park where the Roy Brown statue is.

Photo: Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum

Related reading

Lost Buildings–Sinclair Brothers Tailor Shop

The Sinclair Family Cemetery–Photos by Lawrie Sweet with Sinclair Genealogy Notes

Carleton Place Then and Now–Bridge Street Series –Volume 13

Lost Buildings–Sinclair Brothers Tailor Shop

Standard

 

13516384_10154097209751886_4249846515200971477_n.jpg

Photo: Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum

 

The fully equipped tailor’s establishment of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries could be sparsely or luxuriously fitted. The basic requirements of the trade included shelving for the display of cloth bales, a counter where swatches could be consulted, a space where the client could be measured, a fitting room with mirrors, a sturdy table for cutting out, and possibly blocks for saddles to fit riding clothes properly.

Fashion prints were also hung as decoration or shown to clients as models. The shop might or might not include a space for workshops. More prestigious firms made garments on the premises while “jobbing” tailors sent bundles of pieces to outworkers, often women, who would assemble the garments at home.

 

 

385756_350635001660067_1511835524_n.jpg

This photo shows the interior of Sinclair Brothers Tailor Shop. That’s Herb Sinclair Junior to the left, ready to serve you. This store was located on the west side of Bridge Street, the second frame building north of the bridge. It has since been demolished.-Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum

The majority of shops were owned by men although some were owned by women or the widow of a shop owner. Women were not permitted to own property or sign contracts earlier in the period. It was also believed at the time that women should not be merchants as they lacked the brains, stamina and competitive drive that was required to run a business.

 

Shops themselves were small and could be dark and badly ventilated or bright and elaborately decorated and arranged and shops existed for every “social class”. The layouts were similar, however, and typically featured a “glass door or window”, a lighted counter area and racks behind the counter filled with merchandise.

 

 

13592206_10154097209756886_2612599651774538703_n.jpgPhoto: Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum