Jonathon Francis born 28 June 1820 in Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland, died 08 October 1888, buried Union Cemetery, Pakenham, Ont.–Photo-Fay Bennett
Family of Jonathon Francis and Margaret Carswell by– Fay E Bennett, Descendant of Elisha Francis of Northcote
JONATHON FRANCIS, the 6th child (of 11 children) of JAMES FRANCIS and RACHEL STUART, was born 28 Jun 1820 in Lurgan, Co. Armagh, Ireland. James, Rachel and their 6 oldest children, traveled from their home in Lisaccurran, Co. Armagh to Belfast to embark on their journey to Canada in 1822. They settled in Kilmarnock, a small settlement on the Rideau River, between Smith’s Falls and Merrickville. The 50 acre farm was located on Concession B, Lot 24, Wolford Twp., Grenville County. Two of Jonathon’s brothers settled in Renfrew County. Samuel was an axe maker in Renfrew, and Elisha was a jobber and farmer in Admaston Twp.
Margaret Carswell, born 22 December 1828 in Barony, Glasgow, Scotland, died 10 February 1904, buried Union Cemetery, Pakenham, Ont.–Photo-Fay Bennett
Jonathon was christened on November 05, 1883, at the age of 63, at the Methodist Church, Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario. He died 07 Oct 1888 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario. He married MARGARET CARSWELL 20 Feb 1855 in Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario, daughter of ALLAN CARSWELL and JANET HARVEY. The marriage was witnessed by Allen Carswell and Arthur McArthur. She was born 22 Dec 1828 in Barony, Glasgow, Scotland, and died 10 Feb 1904 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario.
James Harvey Francis, born 22 November 1859, Pakenham Twp., died 08 October 1931 in Saskatchewan.–Photo-Fay Bennett
Jonathon was a successful lumberman during the last half of the 1800’s. Jonathon and Margaret lived in Pakenham Township, Lanark County, Ontario, Con 11 Lot 16. He was a councillor of Pakenham in 1868.
George Frederick Francis, born 11 July 1864 in Pakenham Twp., died April 1945 in Ottawa, Ontario.–Photo-Fay Bennett
Jonathon built a Gothic revival house between 1850-1850, about 1 1/2 miles from Pakenham. It was a showplace with picket fences and gates, orchards, flower and gardens. The Francis family was active in all aspects of the village including agriculture, business, politics, sports, and were leaders in the social activities. Jonathon died at age 68 on October 07, 1888 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario. Margaret died 16 years later on February 10, 1904 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario. A large granite stone marking their resting place in Pakenham Union Cemetery, overlooks the village.
Jonathon Albert Francis, born 28 April 1867, Pakenham Twp., died 10 April 1948.-Photo-Fay Bennett
Children of JONATHON FRANCIS and MARGARET CARSWELL are:
2. i. ALLAN STUART FRANCIS, b. 23 Nov 1855, Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario; d. 05 Jun 1927, Renfrew, Renfrew Co., Ontario.
3. ii. JAMES HARVEY FRANCIS, b. 22 Nov 1859, Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario; d. 08 Oct 1931, Saskatchewan.
4. iii. GEORGE FREDERICK FRANCIS, b. 11 Jul 1864, Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario; d. Apr 1945, Ottawa, Ontario.
5. iv. JONATHON ALBERT FRANCIS, b. 28 Apr 1867, Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario; d. 10 Apr 1948.
6. v. MARGARET FRANCIS, b. 29 Mar 1869, Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario; d. 17 Sep 1954, Toronto, Ontario.
Generation No. 2
2. ALLAN STUART FRANCIS was born 23 Nov 1855 in Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario, and died 05 Jun 1927 in Renfrew, Renfrew Co., Ontario. He married MINNIE MATILDA DICKSON 07 Apr 1885 in Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario, daughter of HUGH HENRY DICKSON and MARTHA HEMMINGWAY. The ceremony was performed by Rev. H. Taylor. She was born 05 Mar 1865 in Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario, and died 19 Jul 1934 in Toronto, Ontario.
Allan, like his father, was a pioneer lumberman. Allan Stuart Francis was selected by the Lumber Baron Festival Committee in Renfrew to be honored in 1999. A Francis Family Reunion was held in conjunction with this event. He lived in Renfrew at the time of the 1891 and 1901 census. Allan’s Uncle Samuel also lived in Renfrew and his Uncle Elisha lived close by at Northcote. Allan was active in Renfrew community life and lived in grand homes. He was known to race horses and curl in his leisure time.
Allan died June 05, 1927 in Renfrew, Renfrew Co., Ontario at the age of 71. Matilda died seven years later on July 19, 1934 at the age of 71. Allan and Matilda are buried in the Francis family plot with his parents in Pakenham Union Cemetery.
Child of ALLAN FRANCIS and MINNIE DICKSON is:
i. MARGARET ISABELLE FRANCIS, b. 27 Aug 1895, Renfrew, Renfrew Co., Ontario; d. 25 Jan 1981, Pierrefonds, Quebec; m. Q.C. JAMES RAMSEY MORRIS, 09 Nov 1921, Renfrew, Renfrew Co., Ontario; b. 26 Jun 1893, Pembroke, Renfrew Co., Ontario; d. 02 Feb 1954.
3. JAMES HARVEY FRANCIS was born 22 Nov 1859 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario, and died 08 Oct 1931 in Saskatchewan. He married (1) ISABELL ARMSTRONG FRASER 18 Apr 1894 in California, U.S.A., daughter of RICHARD FRASER and NANCY ARMSTRONG. She was born 04 Jul 1872, and died 01 Nov 1894 in Cork, Ireland. He married (2) JEAN CRAIG BRYSON 06 Jun 1906 in Fort Coulonge, Pontiac C., Quebec, daughter of GEORGE BRYSON and ELLEN CRAIG.
Harvey was a lumberman and businessman in Pakenham. He is credited for reviving the industrial life around the Pakenham Falls. He is known to have visited Ireland and it was there that his first wife died, on their around the world tour for their honeymoon. Harvey later moved to Manitoba and purchased a farm there. Harvey died October 08, 1931. Harvey and his first wife are buried in the family plot at Pakenham Union Cemetery.
Child of JAMES FRANCIS and JEAN BRYSON is:
i. JONATHON BRYSON FRANCIS, b. 08 Aug 1907, Indian Head, Saskatchewan; d. Oct 1981, Victoria, B.C.; m. GRACE EVELYN EWING, 24 Apr 1945, St. Andrews Church of Scotland.
4. GEORGE FREDERICK FRANCIS was born 11 Jul 1864 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario, and died Apr 1945 in Ottawa, Ontario. He married MAUDE M BRAZEAU 07 Jul 1910. She was born 1876, and died 1967. George was also a businessman in Pakenham, operating a woolen mill in partnership with C.A. Brazeau. They lived in Pakenham, Renfrew and Ottawa. George died in 1945 at the age of 81. Maude died 22 years later in 1967. They are buried in Pakenham Union Cemetery, Pakenham, Ontario.
Child of GEORGE FRANCIS and MAUDE BRAZEAU is:
i. MARGARET FRANCIS, b. 1911, Pakenham, Lanark Co., Ontario; d. 1994, Ottawa, Ontario; m. ANTHONY VINCENT HENEY, 07 Feb 1935, Ottawa, Ontario; b. Of Arnprior.
5. JONATHON ALBERT FRANCIS was born 28 Apr 1867 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario, and died 10 Apr 1948. He married MARY MCCREARY 24 Dec 1912 in Ottawa, Ontario. She was born 03 May 1890, and died 30 Mar 1971. They lived in Arnprior and Pakenham. Jonathon died April 10, 1948 at the age of 81. Mary died 23 years later on March 30, 1971 at the age of 80. They are buried in Pakenham Union Cemetery, Pakenham, Ontario.
Children of JONATHON FRANCIS and MARY MCCREARY are:
i. JONATHON FRANCIS.
ii. JEAN FRANCIS.
iii. MARY FRANCIS.
6. MARGARET FRANCIS was born 29 Mar 1869 in Pakenham Twp., Lanark Co., Ontario, and died 17 Sep 1954 in Toronto, Ontario. She married JOSEPH ANDERSON 28 Jul 1908 in Breezy Heights, Pakenham, Ontario, son of DAVID ANDERSON. He was born 1874 in Hastings, Ontario, and died 16 Oct 1959 in Toronto, Ontario. Margaret and Joseph lived in Toronto. He was a Bank Manager. Margaret died at the age of 85 in1954. Joseph died 5 years later at the age of 85. They are both buried in Pakenham Union Cemetery, Pakenham, Ontario.
Child of MARGARET FRANCIS and JOSEPH ANDERSON is:
i. JOSEPH FRANCIS ANDERSON, b. 1912; d. 1977; m. ELIZABETH GRANT; b. 1904.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.