Tag Archives: Presbyterian church

“A Woman was not a Person in the Strictest Sense of the Law” — Rev Dr. Findlay -Manotick –1899

Standard
“A Woman was not a Person in the Strictest Sense of the Law” — Rev Dr. Findlay -Manotick –1899
CLIPPED FROM
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
19 Apr 1899, Wed  •  Page 1
CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 Apr 1899, Tue  •  Page 3


CLIPPED FROM
The Kingston Whig-Standard
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
18 Apr 1899, Tue  •  Page 1

CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
31 May 1899, Wed  •  Page 8
A Short History of Knox Presbyterian Church, Manotick Ontario
The completion of the Rideau Canal saw settlements in Nepean, Osgoode, Gloucester and North Gower.  Many of the workers on the canal were stone masons from Scotland and the settlement of some of these people formed the nucleus to establish Presbyterian Churches.

In 1846 a recognized congregation was organized at Long Island; the cemetery is on the River Road, not far from the locks.  By 1875 the congregation had grown to such a size that they decided to build a larger church – and closer to the village of Manotick.  A red brick church was erected in 1877 on what is now the vacant lot on the south side of Bridge Street at its intersection with Long Island Road.  This building was demolished in 1951.
 
The present Presbyterian Church on Mill and Dickinson Streets was built on land donated by Thomas Cummings and opened in August 1926.  An addition was added in 1986 that included a balcony, offices, Christian Education rooms, washrooms and updated kitchen facilities.

https://knoxmanotick.ca/history/

What was the social amusement that the congregation did not care for ?

A young woman has a perfect right to propose marriage, to a young man according to the decision of the Presbyterian church whose members listened last night to an energetic debate on the subject by four of its members. The negative end of the argument failed when its church supporters tried to urge that a woman was not a person in the strictest sense of the law as she could not sit in the senate. The decision was won by the affirmative, however, owing to the masterly argument put up by its defendants, two women of the parish. The remainder of the evening was spent in games.

1899

It’s Hard for Women to get into Office in Carleton Place — 1974 –Mary Cook
The Hurtful World of Women in Politics– Christa Lowry
Documenting the First Female Councillor in Carleton Place
Ana & Mia: The Lemony Unfresh World of Anorexia & Bulimia
Dedicated to Those That Were Once a Keane Big Eyed Kid
Women “Bobbed” for Having a Bob 1923
Women Arrested for Wearing Pants?

Fire at the Manse in Watson’s Corners

Standard
Fire at the Manse in Watson’s Corners
CLIPPED FROM
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
26 Aug 1908, Wed  •  Page 1

During Rev. McConnells’ ministry, the first manse at Watson’s Corners was built in 1893, and the next year the Zion Church was built at Watson’s Corners. During Rev. McLean’s ministry in 1908, the Manse was burned to the ground on August 20, but was rebuilt immediately after the fire.

Perth Courier, November 10, 1893

Watson’s Corners:  On the night of 31st October the minister and his family, who lately moved into the new manse at Watson’s Corners, got a very pleasant surprise by the ladies and their friends of that section of the Dalhousie congregation.  On the evening named Mr. and Mrs. McConnell were invited out to tea and while at the house of their hostess and before the hour for tea had come, two messengers arrived announcing that visitors had come to the manse and Mr. and Mrs. McConnell were wanted.  On retracing their steps they found the ladies and gentlemen to the number of 36 had taken full possession and on being ushered into the dining room they found the table loaded with everything inviting to the appetite and they were invited by the president of the Ladies Aid of Watson’s Corners to take their places at the table.  After supper, Mr. McConnell was called to take the chair for the evening and a very pleasant hour was spent in religious exercises.  Congratulatory addresses were made on the work done since the minister’s labors began in this part of the Dalhousie congregation to which the minister replied and thanked all who were present for the earnest and zealous aid he had received since his arrival at Watson’s Corners.  The ladies not only brought ample supplies for all present but enough to make a good beginning in the way of supplying the manse for some time to come.  Nor was the minister’s horse forgotten for several bags of oats were brought and stored away for him. Such a visit as this of which we have written is stimulating and helpful both to the minister and the people; and we trust the kind words spoken by those present on this occasion and the response returned by the chairman will long be remembered by all.  In concluding this brief recital of what happened at the Presbyterian manse on the night of the 31st October we may add that besides the representatives of our own church and congregation we had male and female members of the Methodist Church who were as liberal and cordial in their gifts and kind words as others.  At about 10:00, after singing “God Be With You Till We Meet Again”, etc., the chairman pronouncing the benediction the company dispersed well satisfied with the entertainment of which they were the originators and active agents.




The Landmark Pine Tree in Watson’s Corners– Gloria Currie

When Researching — Tragedy Somehow Shows Up- Fair Family- Watson’s Corners

More Photos of the Watson’s Corners Kangaroos – Thanks to Connie Jackson

The Valley Calendar 1976– Cindy Duncan–Watson’s Corners

Watson’s Corners School

Watson’s Corners

It’s the Watson’s Corners News 1895!

Social Notes from Watson’s Corners

All the Single Ladies?

It’s the Watson’s Corners News 1895!

The Miserly Woman From Watson’s Corners 1903

The Deserted Fireplace at Watson’s Corners

WATSON’S CORNERS NEWS. 1897-April 16

Watson’s Corners And Vicinity 1891–Shetland Ponies and Cheese

So…. We drove by Kangaroo Crescent

Tie Me Jackelope Down Boy–Tie Me Jackelope Down!

More about Cindy Duncan – Thanks to Connie Jackson

The Table from St. Andrew’s in Pakenham

Standard
The Table from St. Andrew’s in Pakenham

St. Andrews United Church Pakenham

St Andrew’s Church Pakenham-

It was just an old kitchen fall-leaf table, made of hardwood and still in its raw state with never the stroke of a painter’s brush to mar the beautiful, natural grain of the wood, but what a historic background it had. What tales it could tell of the pioneer days if it could only speak, tales of frugal repasts set on its broad surface, tales of well laden Christmas dinners with a happy family gathered abound, or perhaps of the minister’s visit when it was covered with a snowy white table cloth and the children were put on their best behavior.

But the greatest tale of all would be the time it was used, over 102 years ago. as a pulpit for the first Presbyterian service held in this district. The service was held in a blacksmith’s shop long before a church was built, and this old table, a cherished souvenir of those early days, now reposes in the basement of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian church, a strong link in the life of the church from the first Presbyterian missionary from Scotland to the present day.

Pakenham was the central point of the parish, which embraced Fitzroy, Torbolton, Pakenham. McNab and Horton. But to go back to the old kitchen table which is in as good a state of repair today as it was one hundred years ago there is a wealth of sentiment connected with it. Only the spiritual life of the church can endure and go on through all the ages to eternity, but when we look back over the long trail of time and follow the lives of those who have taken up the challenge of the cross, there is little wonder that the spiritual life of the church endures and strengthens with the years.

The material things of life crumble and fade away, but the spiritual endures forever.

The story about this table was told in 1940 and I wonder if it is still around.

St. Andrews United Church Pakenham
August 23, 2020  · 


Thank you Marilyn for extravagantly sharing your time and talents with St. Andrew’s and our community for over 50 years.
I was speaking with Ken Hastie today and he told me that St. Andrew’s in Carleton Place also used to have a table like that and it is now at the Carleton Placeand Beckwith Hertage Museum

The Handmade Tablecloth — Noreen Tyers

 If You Don’t Have a Perfect Tablecloth Your Husband’s Eye will Wander

The Dack’s Jewellery Store Checker Table

Mary Cook and her Telephone Pin

The Unbelievable History of the Cameronian Church

Standard
The Unbelievable History of the Cameronian Church
Photo is from Almonte.com —Bay Hill towards cameronian church
The township’s Reformed or Cameronian Presbyterians moved their place of services in about 1867 to the former Canadian Presbyterian church on the Eighth Line, later building their present church facing the Mississippi’s Almonte bay–

A stranger coming into Almonte from the junction of Highways 29 and 44. 33 miles from Ottawa, it very likely to ask the first person he meets this question: “Say, what Is that quaint little church we pass halfway down the hill on the right-hand side of the road coming into town?”

The man at the gas pump or the waitress in the restaurant will tell him “That’s the Cameronian Church and it’s the only one in Canada.” This is a startling statement and the stranger cannot be blamed if he takes it with a grain of salt. Not now, but in less than a generation hence it could indeed be absolutely true which is a hard thing for any Christian willingly to want to prophesy.

The history, of this church is a story of the almost unbelievable , rectitude, integrity- sad-courage of a small group of God-fearing people. But the stranger will get very little information more than the accommodating waitress gave him, unless by chance he happened to meet a member of the congregation.

Perhaps some citizen who wished to appear very knowledgable might inform him:

They have no music in their church service and I mean no instrumental music, like piano or organ they just Sing the Psalms, no hymns. Strictly they’re Covenanters. I think- that’s it. The stranger is impressed and makes a mental note to tell the folks back home. This pretty church on the ‘ hillside which has always been known as the Cameronian Church by the people in Almonte is a Reformed Presbyterian-Church and the correct designation Is the Almonte Congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church–and in spite of popular opinion, it is not the only Reformed Presbyterian Church in Canada– not quite. But there is only one other.

 -
Lochiel Reformed Presbyterian Church - Brodie, Ontario, Canada -  Presbyterian Churches on Waymarking.com

It is at Lochiel, a crossroads near the village of Glen Sandfield in Glengarry County. True, there are a couple of mission stations in the Maritimesand there used to be a church in Toronto and one in Winnpeg but they no longer function as distinct congregations. As the congregation at Lochiel is considerably smaller than that at Almonte, it Is quite possible that some years away the statement that the Almonte Cameronian Church is the only one in Canada could indeed be true.

However, there is no question about it being the only Reformed Presbyterian , Church in Canada called the Cameronian Church. There are Reformed Presbyterian Churches in scattered regions of the United States, but none of them is known as Cameronian. Nor is its sister church at Lochiel in Canada known by any other name than Reformed Presbyterian.

In fact the present minister of the Church Rev. Robert More, Jr., who has done extensive research, on the Reformed Presbyterian Church In North . America, and has recently done the script for a film on the history’of the Church says this church is the only one in North America properly designated as Cameronian.

Why are the Almonte Covenanters or Reformed Presbyterians called Cameronians? It is a carry-over from the early Scotch Presbyterian settlement’ in the Ottawa Valley. It was simply that their neighbours persisted in calling these ever-faithful adherents to the Church of their fathers by the name Cameronian– and for a very good reason, too.

Most of the settlers belonged to the Church of Scotland or to a Secession Church, but there were a few faithful in the hills and glens of Scotland. Attendance at the Established Church was obligatory under heavy penalties enforced by magistrates, and dissenting Covenanter preachers were obliged to hold their services (conventicles) in the wilds.

One of these preachers was a man named Richard Cameron. A squad of Government soldiers hunted Richard Cameron’s small band of Dissenters through the wild country of Dumfries and Ayr and finally caught up with them. The small group of worshippers were poorly armed and outnumbered, but being Scots, they resolved to fight.

They fought desperately but were overpowered by numbers; the members of the little group were either killed or taken prisoner. Richard Cameron and his brother Michael died fighting. The head and hands of Richard were cut off, taken to Edinburgh fixed to the Netherbow Port with the hands stretched out in the attitude of prayer.

In those days they were thorough in such grisly undertakings. “There,” said one of the soldiers, pointing tip at the head, “There’s the head and hands that lived praying and preaching, and died praying and fighting.

It is now nearly 370 years since Richard Cameron was slain in that brief but desperate-encounter. Yet today his name lives in Almonte when the descendants of the early Scottish settlers still refer to that small church, known as the Cameronian Church. So, whether we call these faithful people Reformed Presbyterians, Covenanters or Cameronians, their Church is certainly one unique in Canada.

In Carleton Place there were two Presbyterian Church buildings, both on William Street. That of the Cameronian Reformed Presbyterians had been built in the 1840’s. Construction of the stone church building which remains at the corner of St. Paul Street, facing the park of the old Commons, had been started in the 1840’s after the Disruption. It had been completed but lack of agreement had prevented it from being occupied. It was being used by Robert Bell for the lowly purpose of storing hay. Now it was renovated and fitted as the first St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church of Carleton Place, for the part of the Seventh Line Church of Scotland congregation living at and near the village.

The Cameronians

The Deachman Brothers Revivals of Lanark County

NOW

Welcome to Hillside Church

For almost 175 years, God has preserved our ministry here on the side of Bayhill in Almonte, Ontario. Generations of men and women have given their lives to celebrate and extend the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this beautiful church family. We consider it a privilege to build on that inheritance in this gospel – hope that is transforming us and our community. We strive to be ‘Christ-Centered and People-Focused’ in our calling here in Lanark County. We hope this website brings you a clearer sense of who we are, but to be honest, it would be best to discover us in person. We’re so glad you found us and welcome the chance to meet. CLICK

 -

he Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
22 Mar 1930, Sat  •  Page 32

John McBurney

13 hr. ago

My father, Kenneth McBurney, was pastor at the RP Church in Almonte from 1976 to 1995, and then he and my mother attended the church on McGill Street in Smiths Falls for two years before returning to the US for retirement. The Smiths Falls congregation closed not long after that.

There are, in fact, two Reformed Presbyterian churches in Ottawa. The one on the west side was started as a joint effort of the Almonte RP Church and the Lisbon, NY Reformed Presbyterian Church in 1980. The west side congregation then daughtered another congregation on the east side of the city, and had 2 or 3 other church planting efforts around Ontario.

The Lochiel congregation moved their services from the building out in the country to a location closer to Montreal. I am not certain of the current status of this church.

There is also an RP Church in Toronto that had been a member of the Free Church of Scotland, and there is at least one congregation in Alberta. There may be one or two other congregations that I have forgotten.

After many years of dwindling numbers and churches closing, the Reformed Presbyterian presence in Canada was reduced to less than 100 members in 2 congregations in the 1970’s. By God’s grace, these faithful few asked for God’s blessing and have seen much growth.

These were all part of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, along with 80+ congregations in the US. In 2021 the Canadian churches decided to form a new denomination, and separated from the American churches with their blessing.

PAKENHAM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 1897– $338.50 on the Cornerstone?

Standard
PAKENHAM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 1897– $338.50 on the Cornerstone?

Screenshot 2017-06-14 at 08.jpg

Illustration-Almonte Gazette June 18 1897

Laying the Corner-Stone of the Interesting Occasion—A Report of the Proceedings.

Almonte Gazette June 18 1897

Tuesday of this week was a red letter occasion with the Presbyterians of Pakenham, for on that day the corner-stone of the new church they are erecting was laid with appropriate ceremonies by Mrs. Francis, one of the oldest members of the congregation and the head of a family to whose generosity in a large measure is due the successful carrying through of the plans of the building committee.

The day proved an ideal one, and a large crowd was present. Many Almonters drove down. A preliminary service was held in the old church at eleven o’clock a.m., at which a fine sermon was preached by an old and highly esteemed former pastor—Rev. Jas. Stuart, of Prescott.  and  the Rev. gentleman had as the basis of his remarks Ephesians 2 :20 , 21,.

From this he preached a sermon appropriate to the occasion. It was retrospective, introspective and prospective—it recounted the past, with its joys and successes, as well as the darker side of the picture, which included a reference to the absence of many of the old familiar faces, called to their reward and it looked into things as they are at present; and it spoke of the doings of the day in a spirit that hoped and expected much from the future for the congregation and the community.

The lessons were impressive, and were listened to with great interest by those who were privileged to be in attendance. Rev. Mr. Stuart is always welcomed to Pakenham,
and his visit and his words of cheer and encouragement on this occasion were greatly appreciated.

Rev. A. E. Mitchell, B.A., of Almonte, assisted at the service. The singing by the choir was worthy of mention. It was of a high order. Rev. R. J, Hutcheon, M.A., and Mr. A. Haydon, M.A., assisted in the musical part, and sang a duet during the service.

St-Andrews-700x525.jpg

Photo —Millstone

At the close of the forenoon service the congregation, and in fact the bulk of the villagers—to appearance, at least—repaired to the agricultural hall, where for two hours a large staff of waiters were kept busy serving dinner. In the evening tea was served in the same place, in all probably 500 meals being given—a good day’s work for the committee in charge of that department.

At half-past two in the afternoon the most interesting part of the proceedings
took place—the laying of the corner-stone and the ceremonies connection therewith.On the site set apart for the sacred edifice, and from a platform erected in a suitable place a number of the clergymen delivered addresses in harmony with the occasion. Rev. E. S. Logie, the energetic young pastor, was master of ceremonies, and discharged his duties with a skill that won him great praise. He asked the audience to open the proceedings.

With the doxology—”Praise God from whom all blessings flow,” etc.—which was rendered with vigor, led by the choir and the audience. Rev. Dr. Campbell, of Renfrew, then read a suitable passage of scripture. Prayer followed, after which Rev. Mr. Logie read the list of articles to be deposited in the corner-stone, as follows: A coin of the realm, copies of the Morrin College Magazine, theDaily Witness, the Presbyterian
Record, the Forester, the Almonte Gazette, the I.O.O.F. constitution and bylaws, a list of the memb and bylaws, a list of the members of the congregation at- the present date.

Then were the names of the board of managers, the building committee, the secretary and treasurer of the congregation, and the superintendent and teachers of the Sabbath school. After the reading of this list the crowd gathered closer while the pastor presented Mrs. Francis with a handsome silver trowel and asked her to perform the work of laying the corner-stone. The stone was well and truly laid by the venerable lady, after which Kir. Logie announced that an opportunity would be given those who wished to give a contribution in aid of the building fund.

A stream of contributors swelled the receipts to a generous sum. Then came an earnest patriotic address from Rev. D. J. McLean, M.A., of Arnprior, delivered with the fluency for which that gentleman is noted. He spoke of what should characterize a temple erected to God’o service. It was an influence for good in the community, advancing the cause of civilization, diffusing the light of liberty and knowledge and truth, and promoting the highest and best interests of the people. He warmly commended the members and adherents of the Pakenham congregation for their generosity, and concluded a polished address by extending his best wishes.

Rev. Dr. Campbell, of Renfrew, was the next speaker. He is well known as one of
the oldest and ablest members of the Lanark and Renfrew Presbytery, and in his address he was able to refer to incidents in connection with the earlier life of the Pakenham branches of the Presbyterian church in a most interesting manner. He began by joining heartily in all the kind expressions made use of by the preceding
speaker.

He spoke feelingly of those who in former years had laid broad and deep the foundations on which much of the success achieved had been built—of the late Rev. Dr. Mann, who came to this section nearly sixty years ago, and travelled through the length and breadth- of this and the adjoining county in the service of the Master.

The speaker paid tribute to that man of God and the work he did. He also gave credit for the foundation work done by one whom he was glad to see present—one who had travelled side by side with Dr. Mann for many years—Rev. Jas. Stuart. Both had labored earnestly and successfully in the earlier years in Pakenham for the glory of God and the good of the people, and, while many of the parents who had been brought to Christ through their efforts had been called home, their children remained to carry on the work.

Dr. Campbell closed a concise but comprehensive address with words of warm encouragement to pastor and people on the joyful occasion of laying the foundation stone of their new temple. Rev. Hugh Taylor, of Lochwinnoch, one of the brainiest preachers in the bounds of the presbytery, was next called on, and gave an address that did . credit. He was one of Mr. Logics predecessors at Pakenham, and felt a great interest in the work of the day. He congratulated pastor and people on their success in arranging for such a beautiful new edifice as had been begun. He was pleased to see so many old familiar faces present.

Some were missing—he missed them; but he was pleased to see so many of the fathers and mothers in Israel present, and that to one of them had been accorded the honor of laying the corner-stone. While pastor at Pakenham, he said, it had been long his desire to see a new church built, and, though it was not to be in his time, he was exceedingly pleased to note the success of the congregation.

The building now in course of erection was the fourth Presbyterian church in Pakenham. The first was destroyed; part of the second still remains; they had worshipped that forenoon in the third; and they would soon worship in the fourth. Their material prosperity was keeping up well with their spiritual prosperity.

He spoke of the change of site—the coming down among the people, to show the deep interest felt in their concerns; of the plan, which showed a good Sabbath school building, where the foundation of Christian life was laid; of the C. E society, one of the grandest institutions to develop Christian life in the young people of the community.

“ You are a Christian people here,” he said. Contrary to the views of many he saw no indications of church’ union, and he maintained that no one present would live to see the union of the various denominations. The spirit of union was good, but it was impossible to get people to agree. It should rejoice the hearts of all that the foundations had been laid a new church that would help the upward life of the community. He expressed the hope that many would be brought to the Lord as the result of the work now being undertaken, and closed a really excellent address with
renewed congratulations and good wishes.

Rev. Jas. Stuart spoke in terms of warm commendation of the efforts of Rev. Mr, Logie and his people in undertaking the erection of a fine new church. It was the jubilee year, and they had taken a grand means of celebrating it.

The pastor and people are to be congratulated on the success of Tuesday’s proceedings, everything being carried out most satisfactory to all concerned. The total receipts of the day amounted to over $430.00, and $338.50 of which was placed on the cornerstone.

Mr. J. McDowall, the contractor for the stonework of the church, prepared the cornerstone for laying, and as it was pronounced “well and truly laid,” so the rest of the work under Mr. McD’s. superintendence will without doubt be pronounced when
he has completed his contract, if the work he has already done can be taken as a specimen of what the whole will be like.

almontegsmall

Almonte Gazette

historicalnotes

Pakenham Township was named after Sir Edward Pakenham who was the brother-in-law of the Duke of Wellington.


Pakenham:
Was a postal station from 1832. It is located on the Mississippi River. It was known as Dickson’s Mills then Pakenham Mills. In 1842 the village’s population was 250 persons. It contained 3 churches – Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist, post office, grist mill, saw mill, carding machine & cloth factory, four stores, a tannery, two taverns and some shops.

 -

Clipped from

  1. Ottawa Daily Citizen,
  2. 16 Feb 1866, Fri,
  3. Page 2


Cedar Hill:
The village was built around the first school (L6 C8). It was first called Upper Pakenham. In the Historical Atlas for Lanark County, it is marked Cedar Hill PO.

By the 1890s, Dalkeith Street was the location of both the Methodist parsonage and the Presbyterian manse.

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (US

relatedreading

St. Andrew’s Pakenham celebrates 175th anniversary October 9– 2015– Click here–Millstone

For the Love of St. Andrew’s– 130th Anniversary

Who Really Built the Baptist Church in Carleton Place?

Old Churches of Lanark County

The Gnarled Beckwith Oak

Standard

 

img (59).jpg

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal10 Dec 1955

If you cross the 7th Concession line of Beckwith there is a gnarled black oak that over a 190 years ago the Highlanders rested by after crossing the Jock River. Under this tree they had put their boots and shoes which they had removed to cross the water to worship. In the 195o’s there remained just 4 stone walls where they had once sung praises to a higher power that had led them through the bush.

The lonely forgotten Auld Kirk was once a beacon of promise and a memento of when life in the Lanark County wilderness was a struggle. In the fall of 1821 the people of Beckwith Township petitioned Scotland for a Presbyterian minister. Over twenty five miles of swamp and bush separated them from going to worship in Perth. They demanded unusual qualifications not asked of another preacher in the area. The minister was to be of ungodly carriage and well qualified to give the Scripture in Gaelic and English. The local citizens also wanted their new preacher to be a man  skilled of medicine, but it proved to be a long and difficult item to fill for the people of Beckwith Township.

Eventually the call came to a man by the name of Rev George Buchanan M.D. who decided to leave his civilized living and respond to the urgent summons in the bush. After a difficult journey the Buchanans arrived August 22 1822 at Franktown almost 3 miles from their destination. They arrived to no home at all– not even a temporary one had been set up for them. They had come there because of a plea from the township, but yet all that existed there were harsh impossible living conditions for this family with 10 children.

 

download.jpg

A big souled Irishman by the name of James Wall offered a small log cabin he had just built and the Buchanans accepted it. With spartan endurance the family did its best and the family hung quilts and blankets over the doors and windows. They cooked on a flat stone at the end of the cabin and that first Sabbath in Beckwith they had their first service outside in a clearing. Logs made furniture and flour and provisions were brought back to Beckwith from Perth and Brockville on the backs of men.

The initial English Gaelic service was held in the middle of a bush with women and children that had trudged many miles and  sat on logs while mosquitoes swarmed over them. The services were held for 6 weeks until the harshness came.There was no choir only his wife with 10 children who led song along  with John Cram. It was said that there were tears shed of joy when they heard the service in their native’glens’. The next year they made him a better home,said to be a  larger shanty, that people knocked on the door in the middle of the night to attend babies that were being born or sickness. Services were also held in the barn. In 1824 Reverend Bell of Perth invited Buchanan to preach and the reverend and wife walked to Perth crossing a swamp a mile long.

For several years George preached under an open sky and then they built the church with stone hauled by stone boats but he never got to preach in that church. There was a formal separation of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland and the dissent even reached Beckwith Township.  Rumours circulated that his wife was controlling and was both “husband and wife”. The barn on his property that he held services in burned down and no one offered to replace it. Bad crops were blamed on Buchanan’s poor preaching of services and the list went on until Reverend Bell brought someone else in to assist him. Broken hearted Buchanan died three years later.

For only 7 years the church that was built with free labour of a congregation held services and then it was deserted. Remembering the heartbreak dissension of the Free Kirk and the Auld Kirk I imagine the voice of Rev George Buchanan still echos in Beckwith Township somewhere still today.

 

beckwithauldkirk.jpg

Photo Source below: Carleton Saga, by Harry and Olive Walker, page 507. Does anyone have a photograph of the original building? From Bytown.net17352339_10154740554341886_4594439993896895400_n.jpg

Photo 1910 — original photo

 

17389065_10154227920777312_2698206211434996391_o (1).jpg

Joann Voyce sent us this newspaper photo–thanks Joann!

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun

“Teachester” Munro and the S.S. No. 9 Beckwith 11th Line East School

John Goth–Tales of Beckwith Township

Beckwith –Settlers — Sir Robert the Bruce— and Migrating Turtles

What I Did on Beckwith Heritage Days – Alexander Stewart – Ballygiblin Heroe

The Now Complete Page Turning Story of the Beckwith Grandfather Clock

The Manse on the 7th Line of Beckwith

Update on The Manse in Beckwith

Desperately Seeking Information About the “Beckwith Copperhead Road”

Hobo’s and Tragedies in Beckwith

Found on a Hill in Beckwith – Country Roads Take Me Home