Duncan McIntosh and operated as a hotel under the name of McIntosh House, it was bought in 1882 by the widow Mary J. Chatterton. By 1886 she has sold to Peter Salter, who ran it until about 1890. The Chatterton House Hotel guest register dating from 1886 to1889 was transferred from the City of Ottawa Archives Photo to the Carleton Place & Beckwith Heritage Museum
Mrs. Mary Chatteron was the mistress of flirtation and also had rather a large appetite, and she is one of my favourite people of Carleton Place. She owned what is now the Queen’s Hotel for several years in the 1800’s. As legend goes, Mary Chatterton ran a lot of her “Chatterton House” in the Queen’s Hotel alleyway. It was well reputed that Mrs. Chatterton served more than alcohol to her clients!
An advertisement for Chatterton House read: “the proprietress has spent a large portion of her time in catering to the wants of the travelling public and this house has become justly famous for its good cheer and pleasant associations.”
She later sold it to Albert Salter. Mr Salter according to newspaper reports in June 1 of 1899 had reconstructed the old Chatterton House with a veneering of brick- raising it two stories and added a large wing. Obviously that was not working out.
On the 20th of October 1899 it was noted in the newspaper that Mr Salter, proprietor of the well known Queen’s Hotel in Carleton Place had disposed of the property, with Mrs Chatteron once again being the purchaser. The price was noted being up into the double tens with five figures.
The newspaper account reported Mrs Chatterton had conducted a business on the same site some years ago and was a most amiable and obliging hostess. Mr Salter had purchased the property from her and added much to the accommodations to suit the requirements of the times. “He retires after a successful career and will devote his energies and wide resources to the perfection and personal superintendence of the Queen;s Royal hotel at Lake Park which will be enlarged and greatly improved in many respects before the opening of the news season. In the meantime he and his family will live privately in town.”
IN 1900 Albert Salter gave up the then Queen’s Hotel and it looks like he was a hotellier of all trades. It was documented in the newspapers that he took possession of the Revere Hotel which was on the corner of Bridge and High Street. That seemed odd as in another newspaper report it was mentioned that in 1900 Mr J Mc Claren of Perth bought the Revere Hotel had bought the hotel for $2700. So it seems Mr. Salter was micro managing many businesses, running the place, and did not own it. Nothing different than what happens in today’s world.
On 7 Nov 1900 the Ottawa Journal reported that Mary Chatterton had taken over the complete management of the Queen’s Hotel. There was no word if the alleyway business re-opened. Today I found more genealogy about the family, so documenting it.
One thing about Mrs. Chatterton who owned the Queen’s Hotel among other businesses– she owned a lot of local property
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 08 Sep 1905, Fri, Page 11
MARY JANE NEELIN (BARBARA MORPHY, JOHN, EDMOND) was born 1856, and died June 1920 in Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada. Jeremiah F Chatterton and Mary J Neelin married on Tuesday, November 4, 1873 in Carleton Place, Lanark, Ontario.
1881 Lanark County, Carleton Place (Village)
Child of MARY NEELIN and JEREMIAH CHATTERTON was:
||EVA5 CHATTERTON, b. 1874
James (Hilliard) MacDougall was the son of Duncan MacDougall and Harriett Hill. He was born November 6, 1866 and married Eva Chatterton on November 14, 1894 at St. James Church in Carleton Place.
Perth Courier, November 30, 1894
McDoogal-Chatterton—Married, at Carleton Place on the 15th inst., at the residence of the bride’s mother, by Rev. Archibald Elliott, rector of St. James Church, Mr. J. Hill McDoogal to Miss Eva Chatterton, only daughter of Mrs. M. Chatterton.
006557-94 James Hill MACDOUGALL, 27, commercial traveller, Canada, Carleton Place, s/o Duncan & Harriet MACDOUGALL, married Eva CHATTERTON, 20, Canada, Carleton Place, d/o Jerrimiah (as written) & Mary CHATTERTON, witn: Charles BURGESS & Caroline NERLIN, not given, 14 Nov, 1894 at residence of bride’s father Carleton Place
There was a discrepsency of course where they were married. Was it at St. James or her mother’s home.
Mary Neelin Chatterton’s sister
Caroline G. Burgess (born Neelin), 1869 – 1915 married Charles F. Burgess.They had 2 sons: and Caroline Neelin Burgess was Mary Chatteton’s sister.
Perth Courier, December 7, 1894–Burgess-Neelin—Married, on the 28th November at the residence of the bride’s sister, Mrs. Mary Chatterton, by Rev. John Grenfill, Mr. Charles Frederick Burgess of Galetta, Carleton County, son of John Burgess, Esq., of Baltimore, Ontario to Miss Carrie Neelin of Almonte, daughter of William Neelin, Esq., of Carleton Place.
Seems like Mrs Chatterton lost her child or they had been fighting over her before his death.. Perth Courier, March 31, 1882
Life Insurance—The late Mr. J. Chatterton of Carleton Place had taken out an endowment policy for $1,000, designating the payment of the sum should go to his little daughter Eva on his decease. An order has been issued by the High Court for the payment of the sum as soon as the guardian of the child has been appointed.