Tag Archives: pakenham

Pakenham General Store 1987–Yvonne Hayes

Standard
Pakenham General Store 1987–Yvonne Hayes

1987

Walking into the Pakenham General Store is like turning back the clock century. “It’s the ultimate general store,” says co-owner Yvonne Hayes, surveying the vast array of modern food merchandise displayed on wooden shelves reaching to the ceiling. For a reporter searching for a Ottawa Valley general store in an of high-pressure sales glitz, the store, dating back to about 1840, is a living museum, a breath-taking blend of past and present.

From the basement storeroom where empty kerosene and coal oil drums beside modern merchandise and bark-covered pillars, to the attic where dusty century-old letters and records and 120-year-old hoop skirts sit, store is treasure trove. Wide plank floors run straight and true as the day they were laid. In chalk on a massive attic beam young girl has written her name: Leila. She was Leila Scott, a daughter of the original store family, and in the 1890s she wrote her name in secret places over the store.

In the back, amid storage sheds that once housed a tailor shop and feed and seed, there is a tiny brick shed with a peaked roof. It was the ash house where farmers brought in their wood ashes (used to make soap) to trade for merchandise. The Hayes, who bought the store 1980, recently put the store, merchandise and antiques and an adjoining six-bedroom house on the market for $375,000. John Hayes has a heart condition and can’t take carrying heavy grocery items up steep stairs much longer. Their realtor was besieged with calls and they are close to a deal.

“It was hard decision to make, but we think we have found people who will carry on the traditions.” A century ago, there were similar general stores at every country crossroads. They sold food, clothing, boots, hardware, feed and seed and farm equipment and they took eggs, butter, wood ash and farm products in barter. They handled local mail and were the nerve centres of the area, keeping everybody up to date on the latest news and gossip.

Friends gathered around potbelly stoves to tell jokes and discuss crops and the weather. “People only bought the weekly to see if the editor got the news right,” said one oldtimer. But good roads, the lure of big city wages and the Depression wiped out many of the traditional country stores. Most that survived close to cities were forced to specialize to stay in business.

CLIPPED FROM
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
21 Mar 1906, Wed  •  Page 1

CLIPPED FROM
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
15 Nov 1911, Wed  •  Page 1


CLIPPED FROM
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
22 Jan 1919, Wed  •  Page 4

CLIPPED FROM
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
18 Aug 1915, Wed  •  Page 1

Hot off the Press –Old Appleton Post Office & General Store –Sarah More

Appleton General Store – Names Names Names— Wesley West Appleton and Almonte Merchant

The 64 Million Dollar Question About the Hill General Store

Clydesville General Store

General Store Prices 1881 — George Dawson’s Store

Bankruptcy– Robert Greenshield’s General Store of Carleton Place

You Didn’t Need to Sell Whiskey to Make Money

Standard
You Didn’t Need to Sell Whiskey to Make Money

(The architectural beauty of the former Kemp Tavern owned by Susannah Kemp and her son John. The home was built in 1868 by Mr. Scott of Richmond. The ‘essence of a time that once was’ is captured in this Perpetua Quigley watercolour sketch and Haiku. The former tavern is now the home of Cabotto’s Restaurant on Hazeldean Road in Stittsville, Ontario.) CLICK here..

also read- Some Hazeldean Secrets.. Remember Chequers?

Most people have an idea that, rightly or wrongly, in the old days of the stopping places along the country roads, the keepers of these places made a lot more out of whiskey than they made from supplying meals and lodging to the wayfarers.

But in the opinion of Mr. Wm. Scott, of Old Chelsea, the hotelkeepers could have made a living without the sale of whiskey at all. He points out that in the early days when railroads were scarce everybody had to travel by the roads and everybody had to have horses to travel with. These horses had to be stabled.

The stables were a great source of profit to the old hotelkeepers. The stables seldom had an empty stall. It will be remembered that in the early days the hotelkeepers used to advertise their “stable accommodation.” They advertised “good yard and stabling.”

The hotel tables also paid well then. The standard price for a meal was 25 cents and at that price a meal used to pay. All kinds of food, especially meat and farm produce, was cheap. Mr. Scott maintains that while the liquor the hotelkeepers sold also paid them well, they could have done without it and have made a living.

Innisville Hotel- stands stands private hotel When an ex-railroader was charged with trespassing in Mud Lake, the court was held in a room of the Innisville Hotel. The conviction was registered and later it was quashed. Why? It was soon discovered it was illegal to use a”pub” as a court house. Here come da’ Judge! Read Back Where I came From — Innisville

The early hotel keepers sold liquor, partly for the protit, out largely because there was a demand for it. There were few people who did not “take something” fifty, sixty or seventy years ago, and consequently the stopping places had a demand for it.

There were two distilleries in operation in Carleton Place for several years. One of these was owned by Mr. Caleb Bellows and was situated where the Canada Lumber Company’s large mill once stood, near the north end of the dam. Read- Down by The Mississippi River with The Jessops

Twenty Two Dollars a Week and Mississippi Hotel Clippings

Clippings from the Lord Elgin Hotel — Babysitting and The Iron Curtain

Clippings of the Old Albion Hotel

Not Hogwarth’s —- It’s Hoggards of Ottawa! Besserer Street History

The Brunswick Hotel — The “dollar-a-day” Huckell Hotel — (Murphy-Gamble Limited)

From Carleton Place to “the Laff” — The Life and Times of Peter Prosser Salter

British Hotel Pakenham –Mrs. McFarlane

Hotels of Early Carleton Place

Did You Know we Once Had a Grand Hotel? The Grand Central Hotel

A Piece of Almonte History for Sale –A. H. Whitten- Almonte Hotel

The Almonte Hotel — 1990s More history

Banker Snedden —–James Snedden

Standard
Banker Snedden —–James Snedden

Almonte Gazette

April 7, 1882

The Late Mr. James Snedden – The chronicler of local events has at no time a sadder duty to perform than when called on to record the death of those well known to the generality of our readers, and who have to a certain extent identified themselves with the history of the locality. No face was more familiar on our streets that that of the gentleman whose death it is our sad duty to record today. Very few indeed of our readers in Almonte and the surrounding neighborhood but can recall the good-humored countenance of the man who was so well and favorably known as “Banker Snedden,” but whose smile will be seen no more.

The late Mr. James Snedden was born in the 11th line of Beckwith in 1821. About fifty-five years ago the father of the deceased removed to Ramsay, settling at Rosebank, and building the grist mill there, afterwards going into the lumbering business, and dying at Quebec of cholera about 1834. At the time of his father’s death James, who was the eldest son, was about fourteen years of age, and from that time he acted as a father to his brothers and sisters. Three brothers, James, William and John, continued to work harmoniously together until the youngest was about thirty years of age, but although they were then working each for himself, the elder brother never lost his fatherly interest in their well being.

Like his father, the deceased engaged in lumbering and speculation of other kinds, and was very fortunate in his pursuits, but the hard times in the lumber trade and a heavy expenditure he had been led into to improve the passage from his timber limits, caused him heavy losses. It must not, however, be supposed that he was straightened in his resources, as the widow and family are left well provided for. The deceased attended church at Rosebank on Sunday, as usual, and on Monday morning he harnessed his horse to come to Almonte. He went into the house to wash his hands, and coming out of the washroom he placed his hand on his head and exclaiming “Oh! My head!” fell on the floor in an apoplectic fit, and only rallied for a brief time in the evening, and died on Tuesday morning about six o’clock, in the 61st year of his age.

The deceased was borne to the 8th line cemetery on Thursday afternoon, the funeral being attended by a large concourse of friends and neighbors, who were unanimous in the opinion that a good husband, a loving father, a kind brother and worthy neighbor has been called away. The family have the sympathy of the entire neighborhood in their bereavement.

James died on Apirl 4, 1882 and Christina died on the 9th of Novemember 1883.

The brick house they lived in in Bennie’s Corners was made on the homestead in the brick yard owned by James. Their furniture was made by the inmates at the Kingston Penitentary.

The eldest son, David Bain Snedden after farming at Bennie’s Corners moved to Carleton Place and operated a hotel next to the train station. (with files from: from The Snedden Saga: From Lanarkshire to Lanark County Paperback – Jan. 1 1994)

Snedden Hotel on Moore Street (Franktown Road)– the building across the street used to house a rag business and was The Grand Central Hotel.. Photo-Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum

In 1904 Carleton Place’s eight hotels were:

James Lee’s The Leland

Walter McIlquham’s The Mississippi Hotel

Albert Salter’s Queens Hotel

The Revere House- formerly The British Hotel

J. E. Rathwell’s Royal Hotel, formerly the Wilson House

D. B. Snedden’s

P. J. O’Briens

Victoria House

P. Salter’s Queen’s Royal at Lake Park

Read-The Old Morgan House — Ray Paquette and Gord Cross Memories

Old Almonte Photo Collection — In Back of the D. W. Snedden Drugstore 1953

Rosebank, Blakeney, Norway Falls and Snedden’s Station

Bennies Corners and the Snedden Family

.

A. R. G Peden Town Clerk – Adin Daigle

Standard
A. R. G Peden Town Clerk – Adin Daigle
From the Collection of Adin Daigle— It cost 7.00 to rent the upper hall in 1911 for the District Dairy Meeting

An excellent account from Kevin at the Cosgrove real Estate Company– PLEASE click here..

Rarely does a property cross our paths that excites us as much as our latest listing – 19 Allan Street. This stately riverfront Victorian three-story home is overflowing with charm and character that you just don’t get in a new build: built-in linen/china cabinet, 9-foot ceilings in main living areas, wainscoting, a dreamy second floor balcony, picturesque front porch, and even original pocket doors (yes! Pocket doors!). But this 1912 red brick beauty offers more than just old-world charm, it’s been meticulously cared for and lovingly updated throughout the years by the current owners.  The formal dining room has been where Sunday dinner has been served for an increasingly growing family over the last two decades.  

This home is more than just a beautiful property – it’s an integral piece of Carleton Place history. Edmond Morphy, one of the first European settlers to inhabit this area, built his first log cabin on this site in approximately 1820 for his wife and eight children. (It’s worth noting that Carleton Place is located on unceded Algonquin First Nation territory).Some of you may know that Carleton Place was originally named Morphy’s Falls after the Morphy family. The town’s name was later changed to what we know it to be today, in honour of a famous square in Glasgow. When the current structure, 19 Allan Street, was constructed in 1912, the Morphy family log cabin was torn down. The industrious Peden family lived in this large Victorian home, and many of the original features remain today. Historical records show that Adam Robert Graham Peden (1849-1931) made ginger beer in the basement. To this day, there is a pipe that goes a quarter the way to the river from the basement, and back then water was drawn by a hand pump. The current owners discovered some the original glass bottles which are marked “ARG Peden”, and more Peden bottles are currently on display at the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum (276 Edmund Street in Carleton Place if you’d like to see them in person!).  Adam R.G. Peden owned a soft drink bottling plant at 150-152 Bridge Street, which is the modern-day location of Capital Optical Eyewear.

Read more here..click

1912-

A town landmark adjoining the home of A. R. G. Peden on Allan Street was removed when the ruins of the large log house of Edmond Morphy, a first settler at Carleton Place, were torn down.  It was said to have been built about 1820.

Municipal Affairs, 1887

The incorporation of Carleton Place as a village took place in October, 1870, with a population of 1,226. We now have about a thousand more people than most towns in the Dominion had when they designated themselves as towns by acts of incorporation. Our civic affairs are entrusted to a reeve, deputy reeve and three councillors. These at present are Reeve William Pattie (building contractor) Deputy Reeve, William Kelly, (retired hotel keeper), and Councillors James Warren (blacksmith), Alex Steele, (tinsmith and stove merchant) and Abner Nichols (planing mill owner). The clerk of the Council is A. R. G. Peden.

The following gentlemen comprise the School Board : Robert Bell, chairman, Rev. Duncan McDonald (of St. Andrew’s Church), Abner Nichols, William Taylor, (hardware dealer), Peter Cram (retired tanner), S. S. Merrick, (grain dealer), A. R. G. Peden (grocer), J. Dougherty, Colin Sinclair, (merchant tailor), David Findlay (stove foundry owner), and D. Breckenridge (superintendent, Gillies woollen mill).

A. R. G. Peden – 1849/1935
Police Magistrate and Town Clerk for over 40 years.
Both photos from Rootsweb
1914

CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
03 Dec 1931, Thu  •  Page 12

From the Collection of Adin Daigle
From the Collection of Adin Daigle

CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
31 Mar 1928, Sat  •  Page 3
CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
25 May 1987, Mon  •  Page 7

The Peden Family- Genealogy– Peden Saunders Sadler

Documenting Archibald Peden — Carleton Place

Was the Devil in Peden’s Store? When Matches First Came to Carleton Place

Recollections of the Peden Store

The Sad Tale of Alexander Gillies and Peter Peden

Need History on a Pakenham House Please….

Standard
149 McFarlane Street Pakenham

Hello Linda I follow you on Facebook and I am looking for some information. Do you have any history of our house in Pakenham?

We know it is probably 100 years old. Larry Villeneuve bought it approximately 16 years ago and has done extensive renovations. Larry Villeneuve and I are located at the corner of Elizabeth and Macfarlane St. Across from the post office. At one time a Dr. lived here and Paddy Manns mother resided here. Recently I had a young woman knock on our door and she wanted to see her home that she lived in for a time. Her husband lived across the street as a child. Any help would be appreciated. Joanne Craig.

Can you help?

Thanks Linda

The Pakenham House—- Thomas Lowe House

Fire in Halls Mills — The Last of the Log Houses 1923

Pakenham 1925 Tims Family — Pneumonia Tuberculosis

British Hotel Pakenham –Mrs. McFarlane

Remembering Isabel Yuill

Standard
Remembering Isabel Yuill
BIRTH
11 Apr 1874Ramsay, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada
DEATH
30 Oct 1946 (aged 72)Pakenham, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada
BURIAL
Auld Kirk Cemetery
Mississippi Mills, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada
PLOT
Range C, Plots 111/112
MEMORIAL ID
127160935 · View Source

1946, Thursday November14, The Carleton Place Canadian, page 3
Ramsay Native Died Suddenly At Pakenham


A large number of friends and relatives paid a last tribute to the memory of Miss Isabel Yuill at her funeral which was held on Friday afternoon, November 1st, from the residence of Mr W.E. Scott. On Sunday evening Miss Yuill had gone to the home of Mr and Mrs W.T. McGill, Pakenham, and her death occurred there suddenly on Wednesday morning as a result of heart seizure. Born in Ramsay Township, 72 years ago, she was a daughter of the late Robert Yuill and his wife, Agnes Taylor. Nearly all her life was spent in Almonte and district and for the past twelve years she lived at the home of Mrs Thos O’Grady, Union street, Almonte, where she carried on a dressmaking business. Miss Yuill’s death is the fourth in her immediate family in the past eight months. She is survived by one sister, Miss Maude Yuill, of Almonte, and one brother, James, of Mather, Manitoba. Rev W.J. Scott, minister of Bethany United church, of which deceased was a member, officiated at the home and at the Auld Kirk cemetery where interment was made. Among the beautiful floral tributes was a spray from Circle No 2 of Bethany United church. The pallbearers were: Messrs Frank Paul, Norman Paul, Alex Barker, Andrew Stewart, John Sutherland and Robert Templeman
Contributor: Gary J Byron (49329383) •

1911 Census

Name:Bell Yuill
Gender:Female
Marital status:Single
Race or Tribe:Scotch (Scotish)
Nationality:Canadian
Age:36
Birth Date:Apr 1875
Birth Place:Ontario
Census Year:1911
Relation to Head of House:Sister
Province:Ontario
District:Lanark North
District Number:89
Sub-District:12 – Ramsay Poll 1
Sub-District Number:12
Religion:Presbyterian
Occupation:none
Other Occupation:NG
Can Read:Yes
Can Write:Yes
Language:E
Family Number:25
Neighbors:View others on page
Household Members:NameAgeRobert M Yuill34Agnes E Yuill34Robert Yuill76Bell Yuill36Maud Yuill30
CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
04 Jul 1938, Mon  •  Page 10

Cora Munro Yuill — Arthur Yuill — For Glenda Mahoney with Love

Conversations with Agatha Yuill –The Buchanan Scrapbook

Walter Mather Yuill — Died at age 28
The Robbing of the Honey Pot- Andrew Cochrane Ramsay Yuill
Clippings of Mrs. Joseph Yuill – Margaret Yuill
Ralph and Iris Yuill
The Hart Children of Lanark — Laurie Yuill

Notes on Alexander and Joseph Yuill
Mrs. Joseph Yuill of Ramsay Makes Butter
Middleville Photos — Laurie Yuill

Turning Back to the Clock Agnes “Aggie” Yuill– The Buchanan Scrapbook

Archie Yuill –The Buchanan Scrapbook Clippings

The Table from St. Andrew’s in Pakenham

Standard
The Table from St. Andrew’s in Pakenham

St. Andrews United Church Pakenham

St Andrew’s Church Pakenham-

It was just an old kitchen fall-leaf table, made of hardwood and still in its raw state with never the stroke of a painter’s brush to mar the beautiful, natural grain of the wood, but what a historic background it had. What tales it could tell of the pioneer days if it could only speak, tales of frugal repasts set on its broad surface, tales of well laden Christmas dinners with a happy family gathered abound, or perhaps of the minister’s visit when it was covered with a snowy white table cloth and the children were put on their best behavior.

But the greatest tale of all would be the time it was used, over 102 years ago. as a pulpit for the first Presbyterian service held in this district. The service was held in a blacksmith’s shop long before a church was built, and this old table, a cherished souvenir of those early days, now reposes in the basement of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian church, a strong link in the life of the church from the first Presbyterian missionary from Scotland to the present day.

Pakenham was the central point of the parish, which embraced Fitzroy, Torbolton, Pakenham. McNab and Horton. But to go back to the old kitchen table which is in as good a state of repair today as it was one hundred years ago there is a wealth of sentiment connected with it. Only the spiritual life of the church can endure and go on through all the ages to eternity, but when we look back over the long trail of time and follow the lives of those who have taken up the challenge of the cross, there is little wonder that the spiritual life of the church endures and strengthens with the years.

The material things of life crumble and fade away, but the spiritual endures forever.

The story about this table was told in 1940 and I wonder if it is still around.

St. Andrews United Church Pakenham
August 23, 2020  · 


Thank you Marilyn for extravagantly sharing your time and talents with St. Andrew’s and our community for over 50 years.
I was speaking with Ken Hastie today and he told me that St. Andrew’s in Carleton Place also used to have a table like that and it is now at the Carleton Placeand Beckwith Hertage Museum

The Handmade Tablecloth — Noreen Tyers

 If You Don’t Have a Perfect Tablecloth Your Husband’s Eye will Wander

The Dack’s Jewellery Store Checker Table

Mary Cook and her Telephone Pin

Pakenham 1925 Tims Family — Pneumonia Tuberculosis

Standard
Pakenham 1925 Tims Family — Pneumonia Tuberculosis

Michael William Tims

BIRTH16 Mar 1864
DEATH19 Feb 1923 (aged 58)
BURIALSaint Peter Celestine Roman Catholic CemeteryPakenham, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada

The influenza epidemic has left tragedy at the home of the Tims family on the 11th line of Pakenham. The father, mother and eldest son have died of Tuberculosis and the three remaining children are all ill. Michael Tims, head of the household died on Monday of last week.

He was ill for only a few days with the flu and then he was impacted by a cold which developed pneumonia, causing his sudden demise. He was a native of Ramsay, but for over twenty years had been a well-known resident of Pakenham. When he moved to Pakenham he married Miss Mary Farrell, daughter of the late Thomas Farrell

The funeral took place on Wednesday and another sad feature was that Michael Tims, his aged father who lives in Ramsay, was unable through illness to ‘be present. Indeed none could attend owing to illness. When Mr. Tims died his wife and children were also seriously ill. Their eldest son Thomas, a lad of seventeen, had pneumonia. He died on Thursday, and the funeral took place on Saturday.

On Sunday morning Mrs.Tims passed away, pneumonia also being the cause. She was 53 years of age. The pallbearers at the funeral were:

Messrs. P. B. Farrell P. J. Farrell, Thomas and Dan Herrick, W . Doyle and A. Nugent.

Three children remain: Monica, Basil and Willie. One of then is in the hospital and the other two are being cared for by Rev. Father O’Toole of Pakenham. The whole community was shocked when the news came of the death of the three members of this family, and the very deepest sympathy goes out to the sorrowing ones who are left.

March 1923 Almonte Gazette

1921 census

Household MembersAgeRelationship
Michael Tems58Head
Mary Tems48Wife
Moneca Tems16Daughter
Thomas Tems15Son
Willie Tems12Son
Baisel Tems8Son

What Happened to the children?

Mary became a nun and Basil was a waiter in Renfrew and he spelled his name with two mm’s (Timms). I could not find Willie at all.

One of the children the oldest sister became a nun.

Sr Mary Monica “Mary Gervase” Tims

BIRTH25 Dec 1904Pakenham, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada
DEATH21 Jun 1995 (aged 90)Kingston, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada
BURIALSaint Mary’s Roman Catholic CemeteryKingston, Frontenac County, Ontario, Canada  Show Map
MEMORIAL ID203997981 · View Source

T and B Cigarettes Still Spells Tuberculosis to me

The Great White Plague

What Happened to Harold McLean?

Was the Rhyme Ring Around the Rosie Connected to the Plague?

  1. 1,200 Died of Plague Which Hit City in 1847
  2. My Name is Bernice — A Letter to a Daughter
  3. The Mysterious Picture

British Hotel Pakenham –Mrs. McFarlane

Standard
The Gazette
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
27 Aug 1857, Thu  •  Page 4

William McFarlane passed away in 1838 and Mrs. Isabella McFarlane, being a strong woman, took over the simple log hotel that same year. It had opened in 1832, yet Mrs. McFarlane had no idea her old house would be used almost similiar to an army fort when Chief McNabb came into the village attempting a hostile take over. The volunteers ran to Mrs. MacFarlane’s place and grabbed what they could, whether that be:frying pans. kettles or other cleaning and cooking utensils they could take into battle. Word was the battle lasted all night and they did not have to serve Chief McNab.

After it burnt doqn she later bought some land from Andrew Dickson and built a large building on Graham Street at the weatern approach to the bridge and Isabella Mcfarlane’s pubilc house was known as sylish and became known as THE place to stop. It was also considered respectable and many a meeting was held at her hotel. She provided stabling for 6 horses and had spare beds and a sitting room seperate from the bar room.

I imagine keeping a 24/7 inn in those days was hard and in 1859 she placed an advert selling her inn and in 1859 James Cowan took it over. It was probabaly a good thing as the railway coming through Pakenham brought a large amount of rough and tough railway workers and the hotels were full of these railroaderds who spent their time drinking and arguing.

with files from: Whiskey and Wickedness- Larry Cotton Pakenham 1823-1860( Verna Ross McGiffen)


CLIPPED FROM
Ottawa Daily Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
08 Mar 1862, Sat  •  Page 1

From the 1869 Gazeteer below.


Capital Gems
Five Span Bridge – CapitalGems.ca

Pakenham School Rules 1841

Documenting Mary Rose Paige from Pakenham

History Clippings of the the Centennial Restaurant – Pakenham

The Pakenham House—- Thomas Lowe House

Pakenham Community Centre Photos

John Graham — Mail Carrier — Pakenham 1860s

Francis Shaw Pakenham Postmaster Gone Missing —Elizabeth Shaw — Residential School Teacher

The Pakenham Landslide April 1987

The Pakenham Bridge is Falling Down 1873

What Happened to Lena May Connery of Pakenham? Connery Melanson Genealogy

The Bi Way Tour Margie Argue- Pakenham #1 and #2

The Bi Way Tour Margie Argue- Pakenham #3 and #4–Maps

Ingram Scott Pakenham

Prominent Merchant of Pakenham Expired After Opening Up For The Day

Clippings of Scott’s General Store

R Scott & Son Pakenham Gents Furnishing Dept.

Pakenham 1953

Photos of Early Pakenham

Needham Notations Pakenham Genealogy

The Pakenham Brush Fire of July 1939

The Pakenham Fire of June 1939 –Names Names Names

Mayne Store–Memories of the Pakenham Fire 1940

  1. The Pakenham Fire of 1940
  2. July 8, 1940 Fire at the Mayne Store Pakenham
  3. Dickson Hall Fire Pakenham-H. H. Dickson
  4. Fire at Pakenham Woollen Factory with Town Directory

Pakenham School Rules 1841

Standard
Pakenham School Rules 1841

Pakenham School

A public meeting was held at Pakenham Village on June 16 in reference to the school of that village.  Mr. Andrew Russell presented regulations including the following to the consideration of the trustees, subscribers and others.

Hours of attendance from 10 to 4 with an interval of 15 minutes; and 5 minutes in the course of the former and 5 in the latter meeting.

The exercises of Saturday to consit of a repetition of the weekly lessons, with questions on the first principles of Christianity.

The school fund to be a pound per annum, with half a cord of wood or two and sixpence, the former payable in February and the latter on or before the 1st of December.

For purchasing maps and other classics apparatus, each subscriber shall advance an additional sixpence.

Pakenham, June, 1841.

Ottawa Daily Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
16 Jul 1853, Sat  •  Page 3
Ottawa Daily Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
24 Sep 1853, Sat  •  Page 2
Ottawa Daily Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
22 Oct 1853, Sat  •  Page 3

CLIPPED FROM
Ottawa Daily Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
16 Sep 1854, Sat  •  Page 3

Pakenham:
Was a postal station from 1832. It is located on the Mississippi River. It was known as Dickson’s Mills then Pakenham Mills. In 1842 the village’s population was 250 persons. It contained 3 churches – Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist, post office, grist mill, saw mill, carding machine & cloth factory, four stores, a tannery, two taverns and some shops

Which Pakenham School Was this?

A Pakenham School Story from Ingram Scott

Class Photos from Cedar Hill School