An excellent account from Kevin at the Cosgrove real Estate Company– PLEASE click here..
Rarely does a property cross our paths that excites us as much as our latest listing – 19 Allan Street. This stately riverfront Victorian three-story home is overflowing with charm and character that you just don’t get in a new build: built-in linen/china cabinet, 9-foot ceilings in main living areas, wainscoting, a dreamy second floor balcony, picturesque front porch, and even original pocket doors (yes! Pocket doors!). But this 1912 red brick beauty offers more than just old-world charm, it’s been meticulously cared for and lovingly updated throughout the years by the current owners. The formal dining room has been where Sunday dinner has been served for an increasingly growing family over the last two decades.
This home is more than just a beautiful property – it’s an integral piece of Carleton Place history. Edmond Morphy, one of the first European settlers to inhabit this area, built his first log cabin on this site in approximately 1820 for his wife and eight children. (It’s worth noting that Carleton Place is located on unceded Algonquin First Nation territory).Some of you may know that Carleton Place was originally named Morphy’s Falls after the Morphy family. The town’s name was later changed to what we know it to be today, in honour of a famous square in Glasgow. When the current structure, 19 Allan Street, was constructed in 1912, the Morphy family log cabin was torn down. The industrious Peden family lived in this large Victorian home, and many of the original features remain today. Historical records show that Adam Robert Graham Peden (1849-1931) made ginger beer in the basement. To this day, there is a pipe that goes a quarter the way to the river from the basement, and back then water was drawn by a hand pump. The current owners discovered some the original glass bottles which are marked “ARG Peden”, and more Peden bottles are currently on display at the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum (276 Edmund Street in Carleton Place if you’d like to see them in person!). Adam R.G. Peden owned a soft drink bottling plant at 150-152 Bridge Street, which is the modern-day location of Capital Optical Eyewear.
A town landmark adjoining the home of A. R. G. Peden on Allan Street was removed when the ruins of the large log house of Edmond Morphy, a first settler at Carleton Place, were torn down. It was said to have been built about 1820.
Municipal Affairs, 1887
The incorporation of Carleton Place as a village took place in October, 1870, with a population of 1,226. We now have about a thousand more people than most towns in the Dominion had when they designated themselves as towns by acts of incorporation. Our civic affairs are entrusted to a reeve, deputy reeve and three councillors. These at present are Reeve William Pattie (building contractor) Deputy Reeve, William Kelly, (retired hotel keeper), and Councillors James Warren (blacksmith), Alex Steele, (tinsmith and stove merchant) and Abner Nichols (planing mill owner). The clerk of the Council is A. R. G. Peden.
The following gentlemen comprise the School Board : Robert Bell, chairman, Rev. Duncan McDonald (of St. Andrew’s Church), Abner Nichols, William Taylor, (hardware dealer), Peter Cram (retired tanner), S. S. Merrick, (grain dealer), A. R. G. Peden (grocer), J. Dougherty, Colin Sinclair, (merchant tailor), David Findlay (stove foundry owner), and D. Breckenridge (superintendent, Gillies woollen mill).