On July 7 of 1950, Almonte and Carleton Place took over the town of Smith Falls for Old Home Week. People poured down Highway 15 for miles, and the town of Smiths Falls was bulging at the seams. A monster cavalcade began in Almonte, then made its way through Carleton Place and finally led into Smiths Falls at 2:30pm. Led by Carleton Place’s snappy community band, the applause continued for miles and never had a chance to die.
Beckwith Street in Smiths Falls- Parade led by The Carleton Place Band- Photo-Archives Lanark
A bright smart red fire truck might have left Carleton Place a bit shy in the fire protection for the afternoon, but was a shining entry in the parade.Not until after the monster street dance ended–not for want of dancers, but for lack of music did the last crowds disappear.
Photo below of the bandstand at Riverside Park in Carleton Place found in the lost Canadian files at the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum– mid 1970’s.