Tag Archives: nurses

Documenting Fran Rintoul — Carleton Place District and Memorial Hospital 1988

Standard
Documenting Fran Rintoul — Carleton Place District and Memorial Hospital 1988
1988 Carleton Place Canadian

What’s in the Cornerstone at the Carleton Place Hospital?

Clippings of the Opening of the Carleton Place Hospital February 14 1955

Chuck Norris Does Live in Carleton Place—Carleton Place & District Memorial Hospital (CPDMH) Auxiliary

Sitting in the Emergency Ward at the Carleton Place & District Memorial Hospital

Maybe We Should Film Oak Island in Carleton Place? The Day the Money Disappeared

1980 Statistics for The Carleton Place and District Memorial Hospital

The Day We Lost Hand in Carleton Place — Carleton Place District and Memorial Hospital

A few Clippings from the Victoria Order of Nurses ( VON)

Standard
A few Clippings from the Victoria Order of Nurses ( VON)

After their parents death, sisters Hazel and Gladysl, (who never married) lived together in the old family home on Lake Ave West. Hazel became a registered nurse and the sisters lovingly kept all their mother’s millinery sundries and later donated the collection to the Beckwith and Carleton Place Heritage Museum. A large portion of Hazel’s estate was willed to the Victorian Order of Nurses in Carleton Place, and as a tribute, the former V.O.N. building was named Hazel House with a portrait of her and her sister hung in the foyer. This is the corner of Wright and Campbell Street in Carleton Place.

The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
14 Oct 1957, Mon  •  Page 32

 Victorian Order of Nurses. The Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) is a non-profit charitable organization founded on January 29, 1897, and based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It was created as a gift for Queen Victoria for the purposes of home care and social services.

The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
19 Aug 1989, Sat  •  Page 89
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
19 Aug 1989, Sat  •  Page 89

Rick RedmondI remember very well. Miss Bloom was the local nurse in the mid fifties She stayed with Mr. and Mrs MacIntosh who lived on the corner of George and St. Paul St. I was totally devastated when she was moved to another town, very sweet caring and lovely person . My family lived 3 doors down on George St.

Norma FordRemember their great services well and even used them. Fantastic people and organization.

Julie SadlerIODE Captain Hooper Chapter were responsible for bringing the VON to Carleton Place

Lorna DrummondMy Mother was a big supporter (on the Board also) of the VON. When she died donations went to Lanark VON

Santa Claus Parade 1970s- Bridge Street Carleton Place- Victorian Order of Nurses float in CP Santa Claus parade.

related reading

The Nurses of Carleton Place

The Mayhew Sisters Business Women of Carleton Place — Schwerdtfeger Genealogy

So What was the Almonte Cottage Victorian Hospital?

Union Almonte and Ramsay Contagious Hospital — “The Pest House”

Becoming a Nurse — Rosamond Memorial Hospital

The Almonte Hospital Hoopla

Susie’s Kitchen Band– Names Names Names

Becoming a Nurse — Rosamond Memorial Hospital

Standard
Becoming a Nurse — Rosamond Memorial Hospital

The Rosamond Memorial Training School- one photo if you click here Photo above thanks to Sandra Houston 1911

Hi Linda, I noticed you had old cookbooks on Tales of Almonte today. I found one the other day dated 1911 and it was for the Rosamond Memorial hospital. This is one of the ads. Sandra Houston

Photo- Sandra Houston 1911

Letter from D.G.Kells to the Canadian Nurses Association–From CLICK
Additional Information…The school of nursing was opened on April 1st 1922 and closed on June 14, 1928 with the following nurses graduating at that time./Sodie Stanley/ Marjorie Ennes/ Rose McDonald/ Laura E. Hawkins/ In 1924 the school became affiliated with the Montreal General Hospitals and the students, as you know where sent to Montreal for instruction in matters that were not available locally. – 1 year at Montreal General Hospital./ The first graduating class received their pins on October 7th, 1925 and they were as follows:/ Lillian J. Conroy/ E. Shiels/ G. McDougall… All students passed the Reg.N. examinations/ The pin below presented to Edith Young by the graduating class of 1925/ [Kells, D.G. Letter to the Canadian Nurses Association, 15 September 1978. © Canadian Museum of Civilization, Canadian Nursing History Collection, 2006.H0020.71]

In 1900, Almonte Nursing Service was organized under a branch of the Victorian Order of Nurses. Their
work was expanded in 1904 to a dwelling on Ottawa Street, which became the first hospital in Almonte.
Known as the Victorian Hospital, it had two private rooms and a public ward with two beds. The hospital
operated with a staff of one nurse and one maid.


In 1906, the Victorian hospital was found to be inadequate and the building of a new hospital was
undertaken. A year later, the late Bennett Rosamond erected at his own expense a fine stone building at
the corner of Clinton and Spring Streets which served Almonte and the surrounding communities for
upwards of fifty-two years. The Rosamond Memorial Hospital had four private rooms and two wards
with four beds in each. It was officially opened in May 1909, by Their Excellencies Lord and Lady Grey,
then the occupants of Rideau Hall.


In 1919, the Victorian Order of Nurses withdrew their support and the management of the hospital was
transferred to a Board of Managers. In 1920, an extension was added making room for a total of eighteen
adults and ten infants.


For some thirty-eight years, the Rosamond Memorial Hospital was the only hospital within the area from
Ottawa to Smiths Falls, to Renfrew and back again to Ottawa, until 1946 when Arnprior Hospital opened.
During the 1950’s, it became apparent that the facilities of the Rosamond Memorial Hospital were
becoming insufficient to meet the needs of the community. It had grown from a cottage-type hospital of
some twelve beds, plus nursery, to a general hospital of twenty-two or more beds.


Construction of the new Almonte General Hospital began in 1959. On May 4th, 1961 Dr. M. B. Dymond,
Ontario Health Minister, opened Almonte’s new forty-one bed General Hospital.


In 1982, a new twenty-six bed, Chronic Care Wing was constructed to provide long-term care services to
area residents. Expanded facilities were included for Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and a Day
Hospital. The new facility, named the Rosamond Wing to recognize the early, health-care contributions
of the Rosamond family, was officially opened on July 6, 1982, by His Excellency Governor General
Edward Schreyer. From Click

The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
26 Aug 1898, Fri  •  Page 8
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
12 Apr 1917, Thu  •  Page 12
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
12 Apr 1917, Thu  •  Page 12
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 May 1909, Tue  •  Page 2
almonte.com–This postcard photo, taken in 1910, shows nurses on the steps of Rosamond Memorial Hospital. The current hospital was built in May 4, 1961, and the old hospital is now apartments. The first baby born in Rosamond Memorial was Victor Horton, first cousin of local store owners Stan Morton. Photo courtesy of Ruth More.The property known as the “Rosamond Memorial Hospital” was to be completed 1 November 1907—It was used as a Hospital from January 10, 1908 – May 31, 1961

Related reading

Union Almonte and Ramsay Contagious Hospital — “The Pest House”

The Almonte Hospital Hoopla

Susie’s Kitchen Band– Names Names Names

The Rosamond Memorial Training School-

The Rosamond Memorial Training School

Standard
The Rosamond Memorial Training School

67870053_10156652718011886_229829012883505152_n

Photo from Thelma Dowdall

68867682_10156652721071886_5380590064692625408_n

 

Thanks to Thelma for this. Does anyone have any memories or know when this school was closed?

 -

CLIPPED FROM

The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
15 Jun 1928, Fri  •  Page 27

 

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place and The Tales of Almonte

 

The Nurses of Carleton Place

The Doctors of Almonte … In the First Half of the Century – John King Kelly — Almonte Gazette — John Dunn

The Nurses of Carleton Place

Standard

The dream of a hospital in Carleton Place

nurse2

 

 

Some of the women we remember for their devotion to the hospital

nurse

 

nurse3

 

nursem

 

nursel

 

nursegroup

vm

lila223

Lila Bradley

lila22

 

 

Pictures from the files of the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum (Carleton Place Canadian files)