The Balderson Cheese Factory dates back to 1881 and was named after the village of Balderson which was originally founded by Sergeant John Balderson of the British Army. This company was created by fifty one milk shippers who collectively decided to form a dairy co-operative and build their own cheese factory which would provide them with a reliable and local market for their milk.
The Balderson Corner’s cheese factory grew in popularity and prospered over the next decate. In 1892-93 it was one of twelve local factories that was selected to contribute in the making of the Mammoth Cheese which was Canada’s unique dairy display at the Chicago World’s Fair. The company’s development continued without any major setbacks until in 1928 the factory was destroyed by fire. Fortunately the determination of the shareholders did not falter and rebuilding started immediately. No word if Carleton Place had cheese for life after that incident.
Cheesemakers: W. Brown 1881-1887, J. Milton 1888-1891, W.D. Simes 1892-1901, E.E. Haley 1902-1904, J.M. Scott 1905-1911, T.K. Whyte 1912-1917, M. Haley 1918-1921, A. Quinn 1922-1929, G. Spencer 1930, P. Kirkham 1931-1937, J.L. Prentice 1937-1939, C.J. Bell 1939-1941, J. Somerville 1941-1942, W. Partridge 1943, C. Gallery 1944-1955, R. Lucas 1956-1958, P. George 1959-1960, O. Matte 1961-1966, Y. Leroux 1966-1974, L. Lalonde 1975-1980, N. Matte 1980.
1954 Balderson Cheese Factory
John Closs —Lawrence Lalonde and Yves Leroux from Balderson Cheese on the outside.Young men. Andrea McCoy Centre
Prentice family at Balderson Cheese Factory, about 1942
Mrs.James Balderson, sr., died at the family home, ninth line of Bathurst, onFriday, the 21st instant, at the age of 74 years. She had been ill for over three months. Deceased was born on the third concession of Bathurst, her maiden name being Mary Noonan, daughter of the late James Noonan,one of the prominent men of his day in this district.
Her marriage took place on May 26th, 1858, and had she lived a week longer, her married life would have spanned fifty-one years. She settled with her husband on the ninth line, and there they lived for over half a century in peace and prosperity. She is survived by her husband and the following family: James, in Bathurst; Miss Hannah, Toronto;William at home; Miss Annie, New York; Geo. Formerly of COURIER, now in San Francisco; Tom, in Bathurst; and Robert, teacher at Harper.
James and D.R. Noonan, town are brothers,and Mrs. O’Neil, Oswego, and Mrs. Lee, of Buffalo, are sisters. Here is the first death in the family since the celebration of the golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. James Noonan last winter at which she was present. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon to St. John’s church, thence to the parish cemetery. (28 May 1909 pg 4)
Balderson in 1905 boasted few trees along the dirt road which was the main road to Perth. In the top photo from the left: the original Balderson cheese factory erected in 1881, the Noonan Blacksmith Shop, Cowie home, Anglican Church and rectory. From the right: the Noonan home, Jone’s Store, Haley property (1962), J.M. McGregor property, J.C. McGregor barn and home. Balderson at one time was known as Clarksville.– Perth Remembered
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)