Oso Station—Mrs. Robert Johnson presented her husband with a handsome boy last week.
Oso Station: Mrs. Storms from Olden Station has moved here.—William Connors, our venerable shoe maker, is ill. Little hope for his recovery.—G. E. Armstrong has his grocery window fitted up handsomely with nice things for the Christmas table. It is quite an artistic arrangement. William Armstrong was the designer.
Linda (Darnell) Susan (Hayward) Knight always hated her name, because in class there were at least three girls with the very same name. So, much to her Dad’s opposition, she decided to change the spelling of her name to Lynda. After all, if she was going to be a famous fashion designer, her name had to be slightly cool or have an edgy spelling.
She was so enamoured of the way her name looked now that she began sending away for free stuff. Every day after school she would walk across the street, march into the Post Office, and open up the family’s mail box. Her father would not touch the mail addressed to Lynda because he thought she was being ridiculous.
Most days, the box was full of the many free travel brochures she had requested; all addressed to someone named Lynda not Linda. She decided that once she got out of school, she would travel the world designing for the rich and famous, so she really needed this incoming travel information.
Lynda entered contests daily by the loads, all with her newly made up name. She won a pen on the Canadian TV show, “Razzle Dazzle,” hosted by Alan Hamel and a talking turtle named Howard. She loved Howard and he read her winning story aloud on the air, and then carefully spelled out her name as L y n d a.
One day, while reading Seventeen magazine, she saw that a movie studio was having a contest seeking someone to play a part in the upcoming film, “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter”. The movie was to be based on the Carson McCullers novel of the same name, which she absolutely loved and had read many times. Lynda had long blonde hair and was in her anorexic stage, weighing approximately 105 pounds, and of course, she had a great name now. She read the instructions over and over and thought she would be perfect for the movie.
One day, a letter from Seventeen magazine arrived in Box 35 and Lynda opened it with glee. To her complete misery it said that yes, she could have been a contender, but sadly she was Canadian and the contest was only open to US citizens. Lynda became very upset as she had been denied the chance simply because she lived on the wrong side of the border. Had they not seen the way her name was spelled?
In that time and in that particular space, Lynda thought her whole world had ended, but years down the road, she was relieved. You see, the part went to someone named Sondra Locke. Sondra, being a skinny blonde, ended up shacking up with the co-star in her next film called “The Outlaw Josey Wales”. His name was Clint Eastwood.
Sondra and Clint had a nasty relationship that ended up so badly, she wrote a book called “The Good the Bad and the Very Ugly.” If Lynda had gotten that part and ended up with Clint, she felt he would have made her change her name back pronto. Clint was a pronto sort of man.
Eventually Sondra ended up leaving Hollywood so no doubt Lynda would have made the same decision. Yes, Lynda would have returned home miserable and gone back to her old name, as nothing is forever is it?
As Clint might have said; “that would not have made Lynda’s day.” No, not made her day indeed because young hearts always run free, no matter how they spell their names.
Findlays Limited of Carleton Place gave a presentation dinner to employees with over twenty-five years’ service, at Rideau Ferry Inn on Friday evening, Sept. 17th. Seventy-five employees or former employees sat down to dinner.
Among those honored on this occasion was Mr. Stanley D. James of Almonte who has rounded out 36 years in the Company’s service.
The following employees, all with thirty-five or more years’ service, were given suitably engraved gold watches: Edward R. Gibson, Joseph Poynter, Jam es E. Crawford, Alvin E. Baird, Stanley D. James, J. Kenneth Simpson, Carns R. Lever, Earl L. Fleming, Richard C. Jelly, J. Nairn Findlay, James H. Cavers, Williaifi J. Fraser, Miss M. McPherson and Miss E. Viola Cummings. The two ladies did not attend the dinner, but were given wrist watches.
The following thirty-five employees with more than twenty-five years’ service received suitably engraved silver-plated trays: C. Herman Miller, Clarence A. Waugh, Bryan S. Drader, C. Leslie Mullins, C. Roy Cooke, John F. Stevens, William G. Lewis, J. Aylwin McAllister, C. Herbert Simpson, W. Alvin. Doe, Silas Davidson, George L. Bulloch, Robert H. Donahue, D. Alwyn Prime, Ernest Lay, Charles E. Johnston, Harry] J. Brebner, J. H enry McKittrick, Robert A. McDaniel, Keith C. MacNabb, Kenneth B. Howard, G. Ernest Giles, Ernest A. Buffam, William C. Cummings, John McDiarmid, Traverse E. Coates, Harold H. McaFdden, Russell E. Simpson, H arry P. Baird, D. Hamilton Findlay, George E. Findlay, John A. MacGregor, William K. White, R. Gordon: Drummond, Edward T. Bittle.
After the dinner, the recipients were given an opportunity to speak and many interesting anecdotes of the past were brought to life again. This is the second such presentation dinner. A similar one was held in 1949 at which 25 watches and 48 trays were presented.
It’s Findlay Friday yet again… and here we have one of the many photographs loaned to the Museum by Bill and Betty-Anne Findlay! This Findlay Family photograph depicts William Findlay (Bill’s grandfather and son of the Findlay Foundry founder, David Findlay) along with his wife and four children.
Seated in the front is Mr. William Findlay, his wife, Mrs Annie Shaw Cram Findlay, and their youngest daughter, Rosamund. Standing behind them are their three oldest children, William Fraser (Bill’s father), David Douglas, and Dorothy.
This photograph was taken in 1916, the day before David Douglas left for the war.
The annual convention of the Lanark County and Smiths Falls Teachers’ Institute was held last Friday in St. James’ Parish Hall, Carleton Place, with an excellent attendance. The meeting opened with devotional exercises by Rev. D. F. Weegar, and then a nominating committee was appointed. W. J. MeShane, Smiths Falls supervising principal, gave the report of the Easter convention of the Ontario Educational Association. J. W. Barber, inspector, spoke on the June entrance tests and considered them a success. It was a measure introduced last year as a guide to pupils’ status. “The output of teachers is measured in terms of people.
Teaching is not a competitive business but a friendly profession,” he observed. The teachers were entertained by Miss Chamney’s class of the Carleton Place Central School under the direction of Paul Vinden. Choral numbers were presented. Mrs. Helen B. Paul of Perth and an inspector, stressed the emphasis on English composition and considered it the most poorltaught subject on the curriculum. Duncan Schoular of Smiths Falls gave a. report on the first Canadian reading conference. Noon luncheon was served in Memorial Park Church Hall where Prof. Alexander M. Beattie, associate professor of English at Carleton College, Ottawa, spoke on “The Theory and Practice of Light Verse.”
The afternoon session took the form of teacher participation. The following subjects were discussed: The teaching of memory work was dealt with by E. H. Farnham of Almonte; physical education in the school program by Lawrence Code of Perth. The use and abuse of text books by Mrs. Elsie Gardiner of Carleton Place; the correction of assignments by Miss E. Smith of Pakenham; the art program in elementary schools by Miss Lila Barrager of Smiths Falls.
Miss Jean Biair of Perth, convenor of the nominating committee, submitted the following report: Honorary presidents, T. C. Smith, M.A., Perth; J. W. Barber, B.A., B. Paed., Perth; Mrs. Helen B. Paul, B.A., Perth; past president, Mrs. Marion McVeigh, Lanark. President, Duncan Schoular of Smiths FaHs; first vice-president, E. H. Farnham, Almonte; second vice-president, Mrs. J. Menzies, Carleton Place; secretary-treasurer, J. C. Sutherland, Almonte; executive committee: Glen Blanchard, Perth; Alton Cassidy, Carleton Place; Mrs. Vera McGregor, Almonte; Mrs. H. Somerville, Mrs. M. Willis, Lanark; auditors, Mrs. Mary Turner and Miss Helen Kelly, Almonte. O.E.A. delegates appointed were Miss M. Miller of Perth and Mrs. M. McVeigh of Lanark. The Energetic Group of St. James’ Church served tea at the close of the sessions.
The Union Hall group met in the Community Hall on Wednesday evening, November 6th. This was “Family Night” and there were fifteen members and 43 visitors present. It was moved that alloutstanding bills be paid. Correspondence dealing with mental health was left over until next meeting. A letter from the Naismith Memorial Hospital Almonte committee, stated that they were transferring their funds to the JR. M. Hospital to be used under their charter for a new hospital, the name of which is undecided.
Mrs. Neil McIntosh, representing this branch, reported on a meeting held in Almonte, Nov. 5. She told of the need of help for the making of dressings for the Cancer Society and that means of transportation to the clinic would be gratefully received. She also gave a few of the highlights of Dr. MacDowall’s talk. When business was concluded, the meeting was given over to the convenors for Community Activities and Public Relations, Mrs. Alfred James and Mrs. Roy Robertson.
The motto: “Fun is the cheapest medicine and the easiest to take” was explained by Mrs. Bert Thompson and the roll call was, “Which has most influence in a child’s life, the home, the school or the church?” The members were unanimous in their opinion that the first named was the correct answer. Mrs. Alfred James conducted a contest on ‘Community Surnames’ which was won by Mrs. McMunn and Mrs. Sutherland. All present joined in this. Mrs! Morris Turner conducted a bow contest which lasted throughout the evening and was much enjoyed.
1st prize, Mary James; 2nd prize, Mrs. Keith McMunn. Two, one-act plays were presented and were much enjoyed. The first called, “The Lucky Ones,” dealing with public relations, was put on by several W. I. members. The second, “The Grass Is Always Greener’’ was presented by the Girls’ 4-H Club. A deliciousi pot luck supper was served at long tables and a social hour spent. Mr. Kenneth Robertson moved a hearty vote of thanks to those who supplied the humorous program and to the ladies for the bountiful refreshments. All joined in singing God Save the Queen.
At the last regular meeting of the Almonte Public Utilities Commission, held Thursday night, Oct. 31, several of the employees were granted small pay increases. In a letter sent to the Commission about, two months ago, the three operators at the generating plant— Messrs. Wm. McClymont, Duncan Forgie and O. L. James asked for more remuneration. They based their plea on the fact they had never been given any more money through the years and that the cost of living was advancing since war broke out.
The rate of pay received by these men worked out at 30 cents an hour for an eight hour day, seven days a week. This meant a weekly salary of $16.80. The superintendent of the system, Mr. Edgar Lee received $28 a week; his assistant, Mr. Prank Honeyborne, $25 a week; the secretary, who has charge of accounting and collections, $22.50 a week. When this question first came before the Commission, Mr. James Edmonds, representative of the Mayor on the Board, felt that the request of the men should receive favorable consideration. He offered a motion to that effect but was blocked by the chairman, Dr. A. A. Metcalfe, who demanded that notice of motion be given. This was done.
When the matter came up on the night of Thursday, Oct. 31st, Dr. Metcalfe was absent. In support of his application for an increase, Mr. Lee urged the same reasons as the operators, as did Mr. Honeybome. Mr. Kelly took the same stand but added that since the imposition of a Federal tax on electric power, the duties of his office had been increased considerably—-so much so, that he had to do quite a bit of overtime for which he received no monetary consideration.
After a good deal of discussion it was decided to give Mr. Lee and Mr. Kelly a dollar a week more plus five percent of their former salary. Mr. Honeybourne’s request was not entertained. The three operators were allowed a five per cent increase on what they were getting, but were not given any straight raise such as the dollar added in the case of two employees above mentioned. The result of this concession on the part of the commission, as it worked out for the three men in the generating plant who had asked for 35 cents an hour instead of 30 cents, was almost amusing if it was so insignificant. It meant that instead of receiving $16.80 a week, they will get $17.63—-an increase, of a fraction under 1 1-2 cents an hour, or to put it otherwise 83 cents a week.
Naturally, the consensus of opinion among the three operators, who work eight hours;a day, seven days a week, is that the commissioners might better have rejected their application than insulted them. How the Minimum Wage Board of Ontario would view remuneration paid to these men, in view of the hours they work, is a point that raises interesting speculation. In view of the magnanimous action of the commission the three power house operators have concluded that so far as they are concerned, Santa Claus visited them almost two months earlier than usual
The old saying about distant fields looking green certainly applies to deer hunting this year. While more hunters than usual are roaming the wild country around the Black Donald and Matawatchan, and the northern parts of Lanark and Frontenac Counties deer have walked right into town as if they knew all the crack shots were far away.
The other day a deer swam across the river landing just above the fairgrounds. This may have been the same buck that appeared on Tuesday in the Spring Bush, now a part of Gemmill Park. The animal was spied on by the Separate School pupils and as it was nearly time for the junior room to be let out the class was dismissed. Another deer swam the river and landed at John Grace’s farm on highway 29.
Other similar instances are being reported from many points and it is hard to keep track of them all or to verify the stories. W. A, Jamieson, E. C. Gourlay, Jas. McDonald and Louis Peterson are hunting up at White Lake. Reports have reached civilization that Mr. Gourlay got a deer. Another buck or has it that the party bagged a large bear. Whether it is a polar bear, a grizzly bear or a common brown bear has not been learned nor is it clear which one of the Nimrods shot it although some give credit to Mr. Jamieson.
On the other hand Mr. Peterson has long been considered an authority on bears since one night, long ago, when he and a friend hid all night in his car at the Black Donald while a bear sniffed around near them. Robt. Cochran shot a deer right near his home in the woods on R. A. Stewart’s farm. In this party were Wilbert McKay, Jim McKay, Harvey Boal, Russell Cochran and Archie Lockhart. This was on Monday.
Mayor Scott has been hunting in the Burnt Lands with the Meehan boys, Jack Command and Jack Kennedy. The first day Messrs. Command and Kennedy each got a deer. Hunting at White Lake also included Bob Leishman, Andrew and Robt. McPhail, Mel Royce, Oral Arthur and Mike Walsh. This party got two deer—one on Tuesday and another on Wednesday.
Among those from this district who are deer hunting are the following: Wm. and Mac Davis, Eddie Moone, Bob Cochran, E. C. Gourlay, Walter Moore, Carmen Munroe, Ronald Gunn, W. J. Drynan, Harry McGee, Clayton, W illard Smithson, Charles McKay, Clayton, Cyril Pierce, Herb and Elmer Rath, Clayton, James M. Brown, Gervaiss Finner, Eddie Manary, A. J. McGregor, W. A. Jamieson and Bill, Felix Finner, Michael Walsh, Jerry Price, John Gourlay, John H. Munroe, Russell Cochran, W. G. Yuill, Gordon Hanna, Andy McPhail, Wilfred Meehan, Corkery, Harvey Boal, John Command, Allan Carswell, Wilbert McEwen, Desmond Vaughan.Among those from this district who are deer hunting are the following: Wm. and Mac Davis, Eddie Moone, Bob Cochran, E. C. Gourlay, Walter Moore, Carmen Munroe, Ronald Gunn, W. J. Drynan, Harry McGee, Clayton, W illard Smithson, Charles McKay, Clayton, Cyril Pierce, Herb and Elmer Rath, Clayton, James M. Brown, Gervaiss Finner, Eddie Manary, A. J. McGregor, W. A. Jamieson and Bill, Felix Finner, Michael Walsh, Jerry Price, John Gourlay, John H. Munroe, Russell Cochran, W. G. Yuill, Gordon Hanna, Andy McPhail, Wilfred Meehan, Corkery, Harvey Boal, John Command, Allan Carswell, Wilbert McEwen, Desmond Vaughan.
The Carleton County Protestant General Hospital circa 1900 – now The Wallis House
I found this yesterday
On September 19, 1850, the corner stone for The County of Carleton Protestant General Hospital was laid; it opened in May, 1851, on the open area to the east of where Wallis House.now stands. The two-storey stone structure opened with ten beds and two employees – a steward and a matron (his wife) to tend to the sick .
A third storey was added to the hospital’s east wing in 1912 and large sun rooms constructed at the ends of the wards on Rideau Street . The last major epidemic to strike Ottawa was typhoid fever in 1912; so many patients were admitted that tents had to be set up on the grounds where the first hospital once stood. By 1920, Ottawa’s medical requirements outgrew the city’s facilities and the County of Carleton Protestant Hospital and St . Luke’s Hospital were amalgamated to form the Civic Hospital, which moved to a new building on Carling Avenue in 1924.
Tents around the Protestant General Hospital during the 1912 Typhoid Epidemic
The hospital opened in 1875 with a capacity of 75 beds. It was the largest, most modern, and best equipped hospital in Ottawa, with high ceilings and segregated wards separated by long corridors. The first hospital was recast as an isolation hospital for contagious diseases, and was demolished around 1900 due to its condition.
What happened to the building?
Heritage Ottawa president at the time Louise Coates invited the media to a chilly demonstration in front of Wallis House on February 21, Heritage Day, to highlight the need for a solution that would see the building conserved. After deliberating for a month, Public Works refused an offer which would have seen the building converted into market-value apartments with townhouses to the north, and non-profit housing to the east.
Increased pressure by Heritage Ottawa, elected officials and other community groups resulted in the government re-tendering with a closing date of April 18, 1994. Heritage Ottawa wrote to Cabinet Minister Lloyd Axworthy in 1995, encouraging his support for a conservation solution:
“These offers make economic sense both because they take the price of site clean-up off the hands of Public Works, and because they restore a building so it can be used again, thereby revitalizing the street and the neighboring community.”
A purchase offer of $320,000 by Sandy Smallwood of Andrex Holdings was accepted, putting an end to the continued deterioration of a prominent heritage landmark.
The Wallis House rehabilitation and conversion into 47 loft-style condominiums was designed by Julian Smith and Associates of Ottawa and Paul Merrick Architects of Vancouver. The project was financed by selling part of the property’s land to Domicile Developments for construction of 24 townhouses along Macdonald Gardens Park called Brigadier’s Walk, and to the City of Ottawa for construction of a 7-storey social housing apartment building, Lady Stanley Place, now owned by Ottawa Community Housing.
An advanced sale of the Wallis House Condominium saw all 46 units sold in under 36 hours.
The newly-rehabilitated Wallis House officially opened on October 19, 1996, introducing the trend of “loft living” in converted historic buildings to Ottawa.
Women’s age-old interest in clothes was demonstrated again when a total of 400 which included a sprinkling of males, attended the Fashion Show in the town hall, sponsored by the Almonte Ladies Curling Club. Mrs. R. A. Jamieson was convener of the Show and practically all the members assisted in some capacity to make the event an outstanding success. The stage which in the raw, is a most depressing sight, was transformed into a rose garden with an arbor forming the entrance to the ramp down which the models walked.
There were rose covered trellises, a picket fence, etc., all arranged to form an attractive setting for the attractive models. Mrs. Parrett, proprietor of the Lanark Shop, opened the show and acted as commentator throughout.
The merchandise was loaned by Pimlott’s Ladies’ Wear, Milady Dress Shop, Johnson and McCreary, Smolkin’s Men’s Wear, The Mariette Shoppe, The Lanark Shop, The Misses Hogan, J. H. Proctor, Phil. Needham and the Canada Fur Manufacturing Company of Toronto, of which Mrs. K, Burns is the local agent. Mrs. Parrett introduced the models all of whom are local.
They were Mrs. Joyce Hill, Mrs. Muriel Hill, Miss Mary Hourigan, Mrs. Clare Kitts, Mrs. Freda Levitan and Mrs. Irene Duncan. Modelling men’s clothes were Gordon Clifford and Gerry Green. Three children who also acted as models, stole the show for a time. They were Ruth Leishman, Barbara Ann Duncan and Donald Duncan. Mrs. Clare Kitts, wearing a black gabardine suit and two piece mink neckpiece from Milady Dress Shop, was the first model.
With this she wore a pink blouse and milan straw hat and black accessories. The next was Miss Mary Hourigan wearing a turquoise crepe dress from the Mariette Shoppe. Mrs. Freda Levitan next featured a blue and white cotton from Pimlott’s Ladies’ Wear. Mrs. Muriel Hill modelled a navy taffeta from Pimlott’s Ladies’ Wear with a hat of navy blue trimmed with taffeta and white flowers.
Mrs. Joyce Hill was introduced next, wearing grey gabardine slacks and T-shirt from the Lanark Shop. The sixth model was Mrs. Irene Duncan, wearing a three-piece suit in rayon herringbone from Pimlott’s, with green kid shoes with platform soles from Proctor’s Shoe Store. There were 40 costumes shown in all with the models appearing more or less in rotation. One especially attractive ensemble was shown by Mrs. Joyce Hill–It was a grey kid jacket worn over a green gabardine suit The fur jacket was lined with matching green gabardine was from Milady DressShop and was supplied by the Canada Fur Manufacturing Company (J. T. Conway and Son.) Another fur coat by the same company that excited considerable pleased comment was a full length muskrat coat made with a border. This was worn by Mrs. Muriel Hill with a smart cocoa brown gabardine one-piece dress. Mrs. Irene Duncan also displayed a handsome g controlled by darts.
The show closed with Mis. Joyce Hill and Mrs. Clare Kitts appearing as bridesmaid and bride respectively. Joyce wore a yellow bengaline taffeta with two net overskirts, gold sandals from Proctors and flowers from Misses Hogan. Mrs. Kitts’ wedding gown was. of all over chantilly lace over taffeta and she wore a floor length veil of French net with hand embroidery. Both the bridesmaid’s dress and the bride’s dress were from Milady Dress Shop.
The Frank Slide was a massive rock slide that buried part of the mining town of Frank, North-West Territories, Canada, at 4:10 a.m. on April 29, 1903. Around 110 million tonnes of limestone rock slid down Turtle Mountain. The primary cause of the Frank Slide was the unstable geological structure of Turtle Mountain. Turtle Mountain was a mountain ready to fall. It was just a matter of time. Immediately following the slide, coal mining, which had begun in 1900, was blamed for the disaster.
May 8 1903- Almonte Gazette
Mr. and Mrs. Mathie of Carleton Place had no less than fifteen relatives affected by the Frank disaster, eight of these, being killed and seven injured. The killed are as follows : William Warrington, a cousin of Mrs.Mathie, and his wife and six children. Everyone was swept away. Not even the baby is left to tell the tale.
This family spent two days in Carleton Place last year. The injured are as follows : Jas-. Warrington, a brother of Mrs. Mathie, had a thigh broken. He spent all the last winter in transition, and had only resumed work in the mountains a few weeks ago. Samuel Ennis (marked as Sennis on the liste below), a brother-in-law of Mrs. Mathie, with his wife and four children, were all sleeping when the downpour of rock occurred. His house was the second in the row of cottages. It was overturned three times in the descent. When it finally stopped Samuel discovered to his amazement that he had passed through the stone-crusher only slightly injured. He had his faculties and his limbs quickly in working order. He found to his infinite joy that his family, while all were hurled and-were not seriously hurt, and be helped them, one by one, out of their stone-bound prison. This was the only house in the avalanche whose occupants escaped death. May 8 1903
As before mentioned by your correspondent, the disaster happened at 4:10 a.m., when the sleeping inhabitants of Frank were suddenly awakened by a tremendous crash, followed by a shaking of the buildings. It was still dark, and for a time the greatest confusion prevailed, no one knowing just what had happened. But as soon as day dawned it was seen that the whole side of Turtle Mountain had fallen away, and that the valley for a distance of two miles was entirely choked by rocks and debris piled to an average height of sixty feet.
Where once existed cosy homes, fertile farms and stock ranches, there Is now nothing but huge chaotic plies of debris from the mountain, this debris bearing the appearance of a volcanic eruption. The land, which was once of great value, and was rapidly increasing in price on account of the known presence of natural gas as well as coal deposits, is now buried many feet deep with waste matter, and will be valueless for all time to come.
As there is no geological expert resident in the unfortunate town it is Impossible to ascertain exactly the true character of the force exerted, but Judging from the reports now being brought In by men who have – been working around the outskirts of the waste of rock and debris, many are now inclined to the belief that it was a huge mountain rock slide caused by an earthquake or some subterranean explosion of gas, which has been proved by mining operators to exist in large reservoirs beneath this section of the country.
The nature of the rock of which Turtle Mountain is composed is largely of the limestone variety. Another theory advanced by many of the mining men of the town is that the limestone cliff had been undermined by some subterranean branch of the Old Man River, which has been silently working away unseen for ages past. Others again incline to the belief that it was simply a huge limestone upheaval, the primary causes of which were the slacking of the lime under the Influence of the thawing weather of spring. None of the theories have so far been definitely borne out, although the general opinion now seems to prevail that the trouble was not volcanic, as at first reported.