This week on March 20th the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum posted the following on their Facebook page:
A new find! A photo of William Jenkins’ Bakery on High Street in 1908. That’s William. And that’s his “neatly fitted up store”. The red brick building exists today as a laundromat, but the white frame building is gone. See the giant painting of a loaf of bread on the side?
And IS THAT AN ELEPHANT on the front facade? Very cool.
The following description was published in the Review of Prosperous Towns in the Counties of Lanark and Grenville, 1908:
A special feature is made of wedding cakes. Weddings, parties, balls and receptions, afternoon teas, are fully supplied with the greatest care and attention and upon the shortest notice possible at moderate prices. Courteous assistants are in attendance at the store. Two delivery wagons are in use and the delivery of goods is attended to with scrupulous regularity and promptness. Mr. Jenkins is also a dealer in flour, salt and fresh groceries. A specialty is made of green and black teas. Personally he is a gentleman of the highest standing and has well earned his reputation for reliability and honorable dealing.”