Tag Archives: mill workers

More on the Mill Worker’s Stairs

Standard
More on the Mill Worker’s Stairs
Photo- Allan Stanley-another photo of the mill workers stairs from about 1946… pic of my father all decked out (probably on a Sunday). My mother (Elsie Tosh) grew up on the “Island” and knew the stairs well.

The planned 9.5-metre steel staircase pays tribute to the municipality’s mill history and recreates a set of stairs mill workers used. The staircase will allow the Riverwalk to connect Coleman Island to the Ottawa Valley Recreation Trail. Mississippi Mills Council awarded the tender for the Mill Workers Staircase to Premium Construction at a special meeting in April.

What could be called the crown jewel of the project is the proposed Mill Workers’ Staircase between Union Street and the former Rosamond Woollen Mill. It will be a timber structure with interpretive plaques.

“It’s a rebuild,” Smithson said, stating the staircase used to provide access for workers at the former mill. “There are plans to have a viewing platform at the top.”

Stakes mark out where the Millworkers’ Staircase will be constructed on Coleman Island this fall. A grand opening is being planned for the spring.

Contract No.20-08 Fabrication and Installation of the Mill Worker’s Stair Structure


Closing: March 12, 2020 at 2:00pm

D.W. Building – $137,424.73
TLC Exteriors – $157,208.00
Premium Const. – $127,700.00
M. Sullivan – $251,157.00

Sealed tenders on forms supplied by the Corporation of the Municipality of Mississippi Mills will be received at the offices of the Corporation of the Municipality of Mississippi Mills, at 3131 Old Perth Road, P.O. Box 400, Almonte, Ontario K0A 1A0 no later than 2:00p.m. local time, Thursday, March 12th, 2020, for the Fabrication and Installation of the Mill Worker’s Stair Structure.

Tenders will be opened in public at the municipality’s offices immediately following closing time on Thursday, March 12th, 2020.

The general scope of work includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the supply of all materials, fabrication, delivery and erection and construction of a new steel staircase complete with steel landings, steel railings and hand railings, steel supporting columns, concrete slab-on-grade, concrete and helical pile footings.

Complete tender documents (electronic .pdf version, free of charge) will be available on Monday, February 24th, 2020 from HP Engineering Inc., 2039 Robertson Road, Suite 400, Ottawa, Ontario, K2H 8R2 and will be sent via email upon request.

The successful bidder will be required to provide a 100% performance bond and 50% materials and labour payment bond upon execution of the contract agreement. The lowest or any tender will not necessarily be accepted. For further information, the project manager can be contacted as follows:

below Cameron St Willard old house on the small island- Unexpected Almonte
March 27 at 8:40 AM  · 

The stairs were for mill the mill workers who lived on the other side of town from the main mill, which was on an island in the river.

Harry Walker in front of the 39 steps in Almonte from Almonte.com

Brenda Voyce MunroI remember these stairs

Margaret McNeelyRemember them well….use to climb them to go to Uncle Alec’s and Aunt Chrissie’s farm at end of Union St.

Cathy PatersonI remember Mr Walker and the stairs

Peggy ByrneNew stairs will have a rest area, not like the old days when the mill workers traversed them multiple times a day

Marty TaylorWasn’t it “39 steps”? Oh, wait, that was Hitchcock.

John CraigThat staircase would be a killer the first couple weeks till you built up your leg muscles.

John HudsonI used the steps while going to High School

Maureen ThompsonFrom my grannie Voyce’s place

The Millstone

March 28 at 11:54 AM  · Millworkers Staircase is in place near Textile Museumhttps://millstonenews.com/millworkers-staircase-is-in…/After years of planning and fundraising, the new version of the Millworkers Staircase was dropped into place on Coleman Island near the Textile Museum this week.The staircase is in the same location as a wooden version that once ran from Union Street to “The Island.” Many residents still remember playing there as children or using it as a shortcut to the high school or to work at the Mill.Completion of the new staircase was made possible in particular through public financial support–by last fall residents had contributed over $70,000 through individual donations and fundraising events. The offer by Mike Dupuis to make his private bridge by the site accessible for public use also played a key role. The installation of the staircase is a major component in the continuing work on Phase 2 of the Riverwalk. That includes: – the Mill Workers’ Walk (from Union Street to the rail trail) – the Carleton Street Walk (from Back Bridge to the Textile Museum) – the Coleman Island stone dust trail from Wellington St to the staircase on the earthen dam – four benches along the stone-dust trail – landscaping – the installation of interpretive & directional signage & of the donor recognition plaquesAs of yesterday there still a few finishing touches remaining until the staircase is open to the public.March 28, 2021 – 11:53 am

Related reading

Falling Through the Cracks at Work

More Photos of the Rosamond Water Tower

The Mules of the Number 1 Mill?

The Rosamond Woolen Company’s Constipation Blues

The Farm of Alec and Chrissie Tosh — David Tosh

The Faces On the Almonte Steps–the Rest of the Story

The Seven-Barrelled ‘pepper box’ Revolver — Rosamond Fight — July 1875

Standard
The Seven-Barrelled ‘pepper box’ Revolver — Rosamond Fight — July 1875
Photo from Almonte.com

Seldom is it that the law-abiding citizens of Almonte allow their angry passions to rise, or to tear each others’ eyes out. But last week a most ludicrous conflict occurred in which the principal actors were the proprietors of two woolen mills and their respective employees.

The bone of contention between them was the proprietorship of a small piece of mill property upon which one of the parties, apparently trespassing, attempted to erect tenter bars for stretching cloth. This was perceived by his neighbour who ordered him to stop. The first party refused, and the neighbour’s foreman promptly threw the tenter bars and his opponent into the nearby river. One thing led to another until a battle took place pitting workers of the mills against each other. Weapons (handspikes and crowbars) were obtained, but fortunately no blood was spilled.

Combatants struggled in and around the water with slight interruption for three hours. Peace was finally restored when one employee produced a seven-barrelled ‘pepper box’ revolver and threatened all combatants with it unless the brawl ceased. Only after the fighting did stop was it revealed that the small revolver had not been loaded.

  • No 1 Rosamond Mill. CLICK HERE
  • Coleman Island, Lot 18
  • As James Rosamond was building the second Victoria Woolen Mill in Almonte, he realized that with the coming of the railway, the mills would be too small. He began acquiring property on Coleman’s Island near the falls which was occupied by a tannery and residences. Between 1857 and 1867 he acquired six parcels of land. The Coleman Island Mill was built in 1866 – 1867. The first building was a six story stone building, six wide by twelve windows long, centred by a tower.
  • In 1872 a three story dye house was added on the north end of the building and a 45 foot by 130 foot warehouse and a 40 foot by 45 foot counting house was added on the south. In 1887 a four story north addition was built connecting the dye house. Also, a four story addition was built connecting the main building to the counting house.
  • The counting house was demolished in 1880 and the south wing extended to Ramsay St.
  • The New Counting House
  • A new Counting House for the No. 1 Rosamond Woolen Mill was added to the west end of the warehouse in 1880. This complex is now the home of the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum.

The pepper-box revolver or simply pepperbox (also “pepper-pot“, from its resemblance to the household pepper grinder) is a multiple-barrel repeating firearm that has three or more barrels grouped around a central axis. It mostly appears in the form of a multi-shot handheld firearm. Pepperboxes exist in all ammunition systems: matchlockwheellockflintlockpercussionpinfirerimfire and centerfire.

The pepperbox should not be confused with a volley gun (like the seven-barrel long gun made by Nock), a firearm that fires multiple projectiles simultaneously by use of multiple barrels.[1] The difference is that a volleygun fires all the barrels simultaneously while the pepperbox is a repeater. The pepperbox should also not be confused with or as a development of the Gatling gun, which fires rapidly by the use of rotating multiple barrels.

So Who Was Mary Rosemond/Rosamond?

The Leaky Chancery Dam –The Forgie’s of Almonte Part 2

The Rosamond Memorial Training School

John Morrow Writes About MP Ian Murray — Gailbraith — and Rosamond

Five Men That Tied up the Rosamond Mill 1907

The Mules of the Number 1 Mill?

The Drought of 1871 and the Mills on the Mississippi River

When the Circus Shut the Town Down

Falling Through the Cracks at Work

Was Working in One of Our Local Mills Like Working in a Coal Mine?

Babies in the Textile Mills

Rosamonds – The One Carleton Place Let Get Away

The Rosamond Woolen Company’s Constipation Blues

Tears of a Home -The Archibald Rosamond House

The Exact Reason Rosamond Left Carleton Place

The Rosamond Christmas Party 1863-or- When Billie Brown and I Slid Down Old Cram’s Cellar Door

Tears of a Home -The Archibald Rosamond House