Tag Archives: methodist church

A Concert at the Town Hall While Small Pox Raged on…. 1901

Standard
A Concert at the Town Hall While Small Pox Raged on…. 1901

Feb 22, 1901

Mr. Conklin elocutionist and Impersonator assisted by local talent and also by Mr. Hinchcliffe of Carleton Place gave an entertainment In the town hall last evening under the auspices of the Methodist Church. The entertainment received fair patronage, although the widespread sickness and fear of small pox in town at present surely contributed to the low attendance.

David Garrick undoubtedly was his best effort, an opportunity being given him to display his versatility of talent. His rapid change of face, form and manner, and particularly his adaptability to the varied character which be portrayed. were particularly entertaining. His other selections were more humourous and appeared to be pleasing to a large portion of the audience. Mr. Hinchcliffe rendered some vocal numbers with good effect.

Miss Sanderson contributed some calisthenic exercises for which she was warmly applauded. The entertainment taken altogether, was excellent although its promoters will not be much in pocket by their venture.

The church at 299 Bridge Street was a frame structure at its early beginnings, large enough to seat 250 persons. It was more than likely sold to the Baptists by the Wesleyan Methodists when they decided to move in 1888. According to some historical writings in newspaper archives the chapel was used as a grammar school in the early days as well as a church. In 1871, the wooden church was moved (*would love to know where it was moved to) and the present brick church on Bridge Street was built by Wesleyan Methodists, not the Baptists. When the Methodist’s congregation became larger they built and moved to a new church at the corner of Beckwith and Albert Streets. (Zion-Memorial United Church)

Small Pox Epidemic — Asks Council to Reimburse Burned Clothes

Almonte’s Methodist Christmas 1893

Standard
Almonte’s Methodist Christmas 1893
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
27 Dec 1893, Wed  •  Page 1

More About Churches and Things Part 2

The Unbelievable History of the Cameronian Church

More Notations of Christ Church Ashton

The Church On the Hill in the Middle of Hood

Everything You Wanted to Know About Auld Kirk

Before and After — Auld Kirk

Maberly Girl Lives For Five Years Without Church

St. Andrew’s United Church


Clayton United Church Quilt Fran Cooper

And They Kept Singing in Church While it was on Fire

In Memory of David Scharf — Almonte United Church Tragedy

The Almonte Fire 1955– Almonte United Church

St. Peter’s Celestine Church Pakenham

PAKENHAM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 1897– $338.50 on the Cornerstone?

Did You Know the Ashton Anglican Church Dates Back to 1845?

Lanark’s First Church in the Middle of the Forest

At Church on Sunday Morning From the Pen of Noreen Tyers

The Remains of the Bethel Methodist Church

For the Love of St. Andrew’s– 130th Anniversary

Who Really Built the Baptist Church in Carleton Place?

Drummond Centre United Church — and The Ireton Brothers 38 Year Reunion–Names Names Names

Notes About The First Baptist Church in Perth

Smith’s Falls and District Baptist Church

Memories of The Old Church Halls

Tales From the Methodist Church in Perth

Knox Church– McDonald’s Corners

The Littlest Church in Ferguson Falls

Another Example of Local Random Acts of Kindness- Zion Memorial United Church

St. Augustine’s Church and Christ Church

Before and After — Auld Kirk

Another Example of Local Random Acts of Kindness- Zion Memorial United Church

The Beckwith Baptist Church

Hallelujah and a Haircut —Faces of St. James 1976

What did Rector Elliot from St. James Bring Back from Cacouna?

The Emotional Crowded Houses– St. James

A Sneeze of a Tune from St. Andrew’s Church in Carleton Place

Let The Church Rise– A Little History of St. James Anglican Church

Tales From the Methodist Church in Perth

Standard

2617819_origOld Armories in Perth- now Methodist Church – 144 Gore Street East In 1821 a small log chapel was erected by the Methodists in Perth on this site- Perth Tourism

Perth Courier, March 20, 1891

  1. A. Consitt, Census Commissioner for S. Lanark left for Ottawa on Tuesday to receive from the district chief census officer instructions in regard to taking the census in S. Lanark.

Albert Page, barrister will return to Brockville from Smith’s Falls and open a law office.

Last week the old house on Gore Street opposite the Methodist Church was torn down and now nothing marks its site but an old time stone chimney and a heap of broken plaster and other rubbish.  The building and lot were owned by John McMaster, merchant, who considered that by this time it had outlasted its day and generation.  The house was one of the very oldest in the town having been built in the year 1816 by the late Alexander Matheson who drew the lot from the government.  The house was built when all around was dense bush and its composition shows that the best of material available was used in its construction.  The building, of course, was of logs and they were beech, maple and elms.  The rafters were of hickory and were sound as if they had been just cut after their position 76 years ago.

Perth Courier, March 27, 1891

History of an Old House

John W. Adams, one of our veteran residents, has furnished us with some additional information about the old McMaster house opposite the Methodist church which was torn down not long ago.  He says the house was built in 1817 by the late Alexander Matheson, a clerk in the government office here in the first year of the settlement.  It was soon afterwards occupied for a year or more as the rectory  by the late Rev. Michael Harris, Church of England minister and later on was used as a private school by the late Benjamin Tett, M.P. of Newboro, father-in-law of Judge Senkler of Perth.  Afterwards it was bought by the late Mr. McMaster and the property yet remains in the possession of the family.

The original owner Mr. Matheson drew a 100 acre farm on the 2nd Concession Bathurst near Perth and removed there soon afterwards receiving the appointment of lockmaster in Smith’s Falls and took up residence there.  His son-in-law Josias Richey, P.L.S. succeeded him as the owner of the Tay River farm and afterwards as lockmaster at the Falls.  Mr. Adams remembers, when a boy, drawing a load of oats to the old house for Mr. Harris and emptying them in a bin in an upper chamber.

The mice must have hulled a share of the oats for when the house was taken down this spring a quantity of oats chaff was found under the floor at this spot.  Among the old stagers who resided in Perth about this time, Col. Marshall, a half pay officer who drew the acre plot in town now occupied by Miss Rutherford and lived there for several years.  He moved out to Lanark and then out west and last week a notice appeared in the Courier of the death of his son Dr. James A. Marshall of Chicago at the age of 81 years.  The old Colonel, who had been an officer in the Light Dragoons, canvassed the city—about the time of the division of the Bathurst District—for a seat in Parliament but did not apparently go to the polls, the fight being between Col. De Lisle and Hon. William Morris.  Capt. Sherwood, a surveyor who laid out the townships of Dalhousie and Lanark, etc., was also a parliamentary aspirant but nothing came of it