In March of 1909-A marble block weighing several tons was lost in the Clyde River a few days ago. It was being hauled to Clyde Forks from the quarries of the North Lanark Marble Quarries Co., and while crossing the ice at the “Stretch” the sleigh broke through, the large block slid off tha sleigh and was deposited in about 4 feet of water. Mr. Stewart Houston of Drummond was the teamster, but he and his team luckily escaped.
Mr. W. H. Wylie of Almonte, (now of St. Catherines) and a few associates, secured the property and formed a company to place the output on the market which is now being done. The several shades will be known to the trade as Lanark Green, Lanark Ivy, Lanark -Heather and Lanark Buff
Exploration History-Marble Bluff
Opened in the early 1900s (1909-10) by the North Lanark Granite and Marble Quarries Ltd. on a 500 ft wide marble unit. The original cut in green, serpentinized marble measured 30 x 80 ft and 12-15 ft deep but was destroyed by road construction in 1984-5. 5,000 cu ft of dimension stone blocks (3 x 3 x 6 ft) were hauled to the Clyde Forks railway station and some blocks are said to remain there (1956). 1962 : Angelstone purchased the property and in 1962-3 quarried a few blocks of serpentine marble for sampling and testing. It was given the name ‘ Lanark Green ‘. 1976 : the OGS sampled the marble : # PM 127, 128 and L5
So Where Was Craig’s Camp? How About Marble Bluff?
So What Happened to the Marble at the Tatlock Mine?
The White Wonder of Tatlock — The Buchanan Scrapbook
The Ghost Horse of Tatlock — A Faerie Tale???
What Happened to Walter Hudson? Hudson Tatlock Genealogy