Manassah Patterson (also known as John)
Son of James Patterson and Bresaya Jane Pounder Patterson
Manassah was born February 17, 1848 and married Mary E. Peddar, born September 26, 1852. They married July 22, 1875. The marriage was announced in the Perth Courier as follows: “PATTERSON – PEDDAR At the residence of the bride’s uncle, Andrew Elliott Esq., Almonte, on the 22nd inst. by the Rev. John Bennett, minister of St. Andrew’s Church, Mr. Manasseh Patterson, Druggist, to Mary Elliott Peddar.” The Ontario Archives Microfilm lists the marriage of Manassah Patterson as follows:” Manassah PATTERSON, 27, druggist, Canada, Almonte, son of James PATTERSON and Bresaya POUNDER, married Mary Elliott PEDDAR, 22, Canada, Almonte, daughter of Joshua PEDDAR and Fanny HENLEY, witness Andrew ELLIOTT of Almonte, 22 July 1875 at Almonte.”
Two sons were born; James F.( born 1877) and Francis E.(born April 19, 1880), who was known as Frank. Manassah was a druggist and owned Patterson’s Drug Store on Mill Street in Almonte. In the 1880’s, the first telephone exchange in Almonte operated from the rear of the drug store. As an agent of the Bell Telephone Company, Manassah used a primitive switchboard to manage the calls from among the original 29 subscribers to the new service.
Manassah Patterson was involved in and promoted horse racing. An article in the Renfrew Mercury July 4, 1884 reported that a proposition had been made whereby Almonte could secure an excellent and convenient driving park and public recreation grounds at a minimum cost. “Mr. M. Patterson proposes, at his own expense, to purchase 20 acres of the Robert McFarlane farm, adjoining the corporation, at to lease it, to an association to be formed for that purpose for a term of years to be agreed on and at a minimal cost. The association will gradually fit it up with a driving track and suitable grounds for athletic sports.” In the fall of 1886, Manassah travelled to the great Glenview horse sale in Kentucky with Dr. Preston, A. C. Burgess of Carleton Place, and Mr. Lawson of Almonte. The group was looking to purchase horses and was impressed by the beauty and strength of the horses in Kentucky. In July, 1889, Manassah was a judge at the Renfrew horse races.
An interesting article in the Perth Courier dated August 7, 1896 was reprinted from the Almonte Gazette as follows. “Mr. Mannaseh Patterson has patented a new disc-adjusting, oil-retaining, dust-proof ball-bearing for bicycles that he himself invented. It has features that strongly recommend it, and it will doubtless be secured by some of the leading manufacturers in the near future. We trust the inventor may find at least a few thousand in it.”
From the Carleton Place Herald July 3, 1900, regarding Almonte affairs: “Cadet Frank Patterson has arrived home from the Royal Military College at Kingston this week and is receiving the congratulations of his friends on having graduated from that institution; he and Cadet Boyd Caldwell of Lanark being equal in number of marks won and both being well up in the list of graduates.”
From the Almonte correspondent to the Carleton Place Herald, May 7, 1901: Frank E. Patterson, son of M. Patterson, of this town, who graduated from the Royal Military College a year ago, has graduated from McGill College last week as a Bachelor of Science. He took the Civil Engineering course. Mr. Patterson returned home on Tuesday and is busy receiving the congratulations of friends.
At the 1901 census, Mannasah, druggist, and his wife Mary lived at Almonte with their son Francis E., who was at that time a student aged 20.
James Patterson married Minnie McArthur, the daughter of William McArthur and Elizabeth Manson. From the Almonte Gazette, November 23, 1906. “On Tuesday evening, the home of Mr. and Mrs. William McArthur was the scene of a happy event when their second daughter Minnie Iolene was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with James F. Patterson, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. M. Patterson, Rev. Orr Bennett officiating. The ceremony took place in the presence of only the immediate friends of the contracting parties. The bride’s dress was pointe d’esprit over white silk and she carried a bouquet of white roses. There were no attendants. After congratulations were extended, the party repaired to the dining room which was beautifully decorated with white and pink roses, carnations, ferns and smilax and where the wedding supper was served. Rev. Mr. Bennett, in a short congratulatory speech, conveyed the felicitations of the company to the bride, and those were responded to on her behalf by the bridegroom. The bride was the recipient of many beautiful and useful tokens of esteem from friends among them being several substantial checks. The groom’s gift to the bride was a very pretty gold watch and chain. At half past ten Mr. and Mrs. Patterson, the latter gowned in a traveling suit of dark grey with hat to match left for Carleton Place where they took the midnight train to Toronto and other places. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson enjoy the hearty good wishes of many friends for a life of pleasure and prosperity such as rarely falls to human kind.” From the Carleton Place Herald December 4, 1906.”James Patterson, son of M. Patterson of Almonte, married Minnie McArthur, daughter of William McArthur last Tuesday evening. The young couple drove up here and took the train to Toronto, for their home.
The death of Manassah was reported in the Perth Courier on Friday February 15, 1907 as follows. ” M. Patterson, the well known druggist of Almonte died at Cobalt on Saturday of pneumonia.” A more complete obituary was published in the Almonte Gazette on the same date. This obituary has been provided to me by Jason Gilmore whose family currently resides in the home once owned by Manassah Patterson and his family.
“Death. At Cobalt, Feb. 9, 1907, Mr. M Patterson, of Almonte, aged 59 years.”
Another Citizen Gone
Mr. M. Patterson Dies After a Few Days’ Illness of Pneumonia
Another death following a startlingly brief illness has deprived Almonte of one more prominent citizen. Mr. Manassah Patterson, who passed away at Cobalt on Friday evening last after just one week’s illness from pneumonia. Mrs. Patterson and her sons, Mssrs. James and Frank, went up to Cobalt on Tuesday morning of last week, but on Thursday the two latter returned home, with little thought that the end was so near, on the contrary, buoyed up with the news coming home of their father’s early recovery and it was hard to believe the sad news that came Saturday morning announcing his death. Mr. Patterson had been in the Cobalt district looking after some mining property, and caught cold which developed into pneumonia and ended fatally. The remains were brought home and interment took place on Monday afternoon to St. Paul’s Church and cemetery, Rev. Rural Dean Bliss conducting the services. The pall bearers were Mssrs W. Thoburn, J.M. Rosamond, J. W. Wylie, J. B. Wylie, A. Young and A.M. Greig. Notwithstanding the bitter cold there was a large and representative gathering of townspeople to pay the last tribute of respect to one who was respected and esteemed by his fellow citizens and businessmen.
The late Mr. Patterson was born in Perth, a son of the late James Patterson of that town, and was 59 years of age. About thirty-six years ago he came to Almonte and took a position with Mr. Shaw, a druggist, and shortly afterwards he bought the business and conducted it for a time in the building now occupied by Mr. Therien. In later years he built the brick store on Mill Street, which he occupied for nearly thirty years. Mr. Patterson took a deep interest in military matters and went to the front with the Perth company in 1866, and afterwards retained continuous connection with the militia, and held the position of Staff Sargeant in the 42nd Regiment. His inclination led him into agriculture and stock-raising and for quite a few years he occupied the Lt. Col. Gemmill farm within the corporation. He was of a progressive disposition and had from time to time been connected with enterprises outside his regular business as druggist, and at the time he was taken ill he was looking after some mining properties in which he was interested. He also took an intelligent though quiet interest in public matters, and was prevailed upon one or two occasions to accept a position at the council board, which he filled in a most creditable manner.
About thirty years ago he was married to Miss Mary Peddar, of Doon, and to them two sons were born. Of these James is a druggist, and has had charge of the drug store here for the past three or four years. Frank is a civil engineer and has a good position with the government in Ottawa in the engineering department. Mr. Patterson was a quiet, unostentatious man, a good citizen and one who will be missed from the business and social circles of town.”
The Perth Courier of Sept. 17, 1909 reported that fire swept through the town of Almonte on Sept. 10th, completely destroying the chief business block on the Main Street. Patterson’s Drug Store owned by M. Patterson estate, was one of the affected businesses. J. T. Patterson, druggist lived over the store and had to hurry his family out of the building. The front wall of Patterson’s building fell over onto the sidewalk, breaking the telegraph pole which struck Mr. Henshaw. Bank Manager Henshaw of the Bank of Montreal died from his injuries.
The 1911 census shows that James Patterson, aged 33, born July, 1877, was living at 74 Argyle Street, Toronto West. He lived with his wife Minnie Patterson, aged 32, born June, 1878. James was a blacksmith, an Anglican of Scotch origin. The 1911 census also shows that Francis Patterson was living on Slater St. in Ottawa, single, aged 30 and working as a civil servant for the Dominion of Canada government. His religion was Unitarian.
Manassah Patterson’s wife, Mary Peddar Patterson died 1940 and is buried in the family plot in Almonte, Ontario. Francis E. Patterson who lived from 1880 to 1942 is buried with his parents at St. Paul’s Anglican Cemetery. –Rootsweb
|Religion:||Church of England|
|Household Members:||NameAgeManassah Patterson33Mary G. Patterson27James F. Patterson4Francis Patterson1Joshua Pedder20Jennie Pedder24|
Druggist P.C. Dowdall opened his Almonte store in 1880, and was was still serving those with constipation in 1935.
Druggist Manassah Patterson (also known as John)
Manassah was a druggist and owned Patterson’s Drug Store on Mill Street in Almonte. He initially came to Almonte and took a position with Mr. Shaw, a druggist, and shortly afterwards he bought the business and conducted it for a time in the building now occupied by Mr. Therien. Read-Constipation Guaranteed to be Cured in Almonte
34, 36, and 38 Mill Street: When Stafford’s Hotel was
destroyed in an 1877 fire, it was replaced by three, three-storey
brick buildings, which were later also destroyed in a 1909 fire
and replaced by the current two-storey buildings.45 The first
telephone service in Almonte operated from Patterson’s Drug
Store, located in one of these buildings, during the late 19th
Ephraim George Patterson was educated at Perth Grammar School in Perth before attending Toronto University. An article in the Perth Courier on September 11, 1863 shows his potential. “Toronto University. At the recent examinations at the University College, Toronto, for the admission of students, and the distribution of Scholarships, we are pleased to observe that Master Ephraim Patterson, son of Mr. James Patterson of this town, took a scholarship for general proficiency worth $120. per year. Young Patterson possesses more than ordinary talent, and his standing in the university, where he had to compete with the cleverest students in the province, must be a source of gratification to his parents; besides it shows that the Perth Grammar School in preparing students for college, is equal if not superior to any similar institution in Canada”
From the Perth Courier, June 30, 1871. “Our Perth Readers will learn with pleasure that E.G. Patterson, son of James Patterson of this town and an assistant teacher in the Hamilton High School will deliver a lecture in the town hall of Perth on “The Progress of Astronomical Science” in about three weeks time. The subject of the lecture is a grand one for the man of thought and learning and we are confident that Mr. Patterson will do it justice. The lecture will be accompanied by a reading from Tennyson. In the future, we shall be able to name the date more definitely. In the meantime we only copy the following notice of the lecture where it was previously delivered: “Mechanics Hall E.G. Patterson, M.A., lectured to a large and intelligent audience in the Mechanics Hall last night in aid of funds of that institution, taking for his subject ‘Astronomical Science’. The lecturer sketched the progress of the science from its infancy in the times when naught but the ideas of the heathen were promulgated. He gave many of the theories and discussions of scientists, men through the centuries to the present including those of Ptolemy, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, Laplane. He pointed out the sublimity and extent of this study and referred to the various phenomenon which now present themselves. The lecture was well received and exhibited great care in its preparation. It was delivered clearly, slowly, and with great taste and the display of facts, indicating an extensive acquaintance with the subject. Times.”
An article dated May 22, 1874 in the Perth Courier stated that, “our old friend, Mr. E. G. Patterson, at an examination held at the Law School, Toronto, passed for both an attorney and a barrister, without an oral. For barrister, he passed with unusual honours–beating all competitors, and obtaining 528 marks out of a possible 600–110 more than the next highest candidate.”
George Patterson started his law practice in Hamilton, as early ads indicated he and William Laidlaw formed the law firm of Laidlaw & Patterson. On the 1881 Canadian Census, George Patterson is 35 years old, a barrister living in Burlington, Halton, Ontario. His ethnicity is listed as Scottish. His wife is shown as Anna G. Patterson, age 29, background English. The children are: Harold, age 5, Anna, age 3 and Winford, 3 months. (Note, the names Anna and Winford are misspellings by the census taker of Amy and Winifred–see the children below.)George and his young family then moved to Winnipeg in 1882. At that time, he placed an ad in the Globe and Mail Saturday May 27, 1882 as follows: George Patterson, late of Hamilton, Barrister, has removed to Winnipeg to practise his profession. Offices No. 429 Main St., over Blue Store. George became a partner in a firm with his cousin-in-law, George William Baker, and they called themselves, Patterson & Baker. Barristers, Attorneys.
For more information on E. George Patterson’s law partner, George William Baker, see the Baker page of this website.
The 1901 census shows that George Patterson and his family were living in Winnipeg. George was a widowed barrister, aged 54, born April, 1847. His grown sons and daughters lived with him, along with a female servant. The family consisted of Amy, aged 22, born August 1878; Harold, aged 24, born May, 1976; Winifred, aged 19, born January 1891; and Gordon, aged 15, born May 1885. All but Gordon were born in Ontario. Gordon was born in Manitoba. Harold is listed as a clerk.
On August 24, 1908, George Patterson, a widowed barrister, aged 62, married Gertrude Viola Geddes, aged 31, at St Mark’s Church, Niagara-On-The-Lake. George is the son of James Patterson and Jane B. Pounder. Gertrude Viola is the daughter of Forbes Geddes, and Elizabeth Begue. Witnesses were Ambrose H. Beavin of Pittsburgh, PA, and Elsie H. Geddes of Niagara.
The 1911 census shows that George Patterson and his family were living in Winnipeg at the Dorchester Block. George was aged 64, born April, 1847. He is the Deputy Attorney General for Manitoba and his workplace is the Parliament Buildings. His wife Viola was aged 34, born February, 1877. Their son George G. Patterson was aged 2, born July 1909. A nurse named Mary Phillips also lived with the family. The family is listed as Scotch in origin and of the Anglican religion.
Obituary of Ephraim George Patterson
Taken from the Manitoba Free Press, Winnipeg, Monday, August 24, 1925
GEORGE PATTERSON, K.C. DIES SUNDAY, AGED 79
Was for Many Years Deputy Attorney-General of Manitoba
Was Active in His Duties Until Recently, Death Following Brief Illness
George Patterson, K.C., aged 79 years, 162 Lilac Street, died in the Winnipeg General Hospital at 1 p.m. Sunday. He was up to the time of his death, referee and master of the court of King’s bench, and for many years the deputy attorney-general of Manitoba. He had been ill but a short time.
He was born in Perth, Ontario, where his father, James Patterson, was a carpenter. His grandfather, George Patterson, was a veteran of Wellington’s armies in Spain and at Waterloo, came to Canada about 1820 and settled in Lanark County.
Mr. Patterson was educated at the public and high schools of Perth, Ontario. He was graduated from Toronto University, winning the gold medal in mathematics. He taught mathematics for some years in Hamilton, before studying law. For several years he was examiner in mathematics at Toronto University and later on, when coming to the west to the University of Manitoba.
He was a member of the university company of the Queen’s Own Rifles, and, having taken a lieutenant’s course at the Royal Military College, Kingston, he took part in the fight at Ridgeway with the Fenians in 1866, when he was wounded and for which he received the Fenian raid medal. He obtained a first class military school certificate in the same year.
When called to the bar of Ontario in 1876, Mr. Patterson was mathematical master in the Hamilton Collegiate Institute. He practised law in Hamilton until 1882, when he came to Manitoba, where he practised for a number of years. The first firm was Patterson and Baker, then Aikins, Culver and company, Aikins, Patterson and McClenigan, and finally, Patterson and Howard.
Appointed as deputy attorney-general in 1898, he held that position until his appointment as referee and master of the court of King’s bench. While deputy attorney-general, Mr. Patterson was for a time, law clerk for the government, and as deputy attorney-general, had been chief crown attorney for the province, conducting the prosecutions of all the chief criminal cases before the Winnipeg assizes for a number of years. He was made a K.C. in 1909 and had been editor of the Manitoba Law Reports since 1903.
Mr. Patterson was one of the original members of St. Luke’s Anglican Church and he had acted as both rector’s and people’s warden. He was an ardent golfer, a member of the Winnipeg Chess club and of the Winnipeg Lawn Bowling club.
He was twice married, his first wife being Annie Gertrude Baker, daughter of the late Hugh C. Baker of Hamilton, Ontario. She died in 1897. He married, some years later, Viola Geddes, daughter of the late Forbes Geddes, of Niagara-on-the-Lake. Three children of the first marriage and one of the second survive, with his widow. The surviving children are: Harold D. Patterson, Victoria, B.C.; Mrs. Amy Edwards, Winnipeg; Mrs. Leslie Ford, Perth, Australia; and George D. Patterson of Winnipeg.
Annie Gertrude Baker (October 18, 1851-1897) was the daughter of Hugh Cossart Baker (1818-1859) and Emma Wyatt (1824-1859). Hugh Cossart Baker, descended from Sir John Baker Kt of Sissinghurst, founded the Canada Life Assurance Company. Annie Gertrude’s brother, Hugh Cossart Baker started the first telephone exchange in the British Empire. George Patterson, Hugh’s brother in law, was an early stockholder and supporter. See the Baker page of this website.
MEMORANDA June 11, 1903. Made by George Patterson of Winnipeg, Barrister, for the information of his children and descendants.
I am the eldest son of James and Jane Patterson of Perth, Ontario and was born there on 20 April, 1846. My father, who died in October 1902 at Perth, was the last surviving son of George Patterson, a Scotch soldier in the Army of Wellington, who came to Canada about 1815 and settled near Perth. My grandmother Ann Patterson was English and came out with him. My mother was also born in Canada of Irish parents named Pounder. She was a most devoted and saintly mother and until the last few years of her long life had little rest from hard work except when laid up with severe illness. She literally gave herself wholly to the work of training up and caring for her large family without a thought of self. She was perhaps the meekest, most patient and most loving wife and mother that ever lived.–Rootsweb
Enjoyed seeing this article. Bresaya Jane Pounder was the sister of my gr gr gr grandmother Sarah Allan Pounder who married John Devlin in Perth, Ontario. The Pounder family emigrated from Enniscorthy, County Wexford to settle in Perth, Upper Canada.