Tag Archives: Mackie Creek

Mackie Creek – Stuart McIntosh

Mackie Creek – Stuart McIntosh
In the summer, visitors will sit under this dam on Mackie Creek and look through the fine curtain of water on the outside. Just east of Griffith before Mackie enters the Madawaska. It starts at the schooner lakes. Just east of Griffith before Mackie enters the Madawaska. It starts at the schooner lakes. —Stuart McIntosh

The Weekly British Whig
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
30 Apr 1903, Thu  •  Page 4

Herb, Earl and Isobel Tooley at Mountain School (SS No. 14) ca 1935

Judd and his family logged, farmed and raised cattle on the mountain. Their son Herb remembered walking cattle from the farm to the Lavant train station where they were loaded and shipped to markets. 

Logging was one of the main industries in the area during those times, and employed many local families. Harvested pine from the surrounding area often was floated through Mackie Lake into the small creek at the north end of the lake. From there they were moved into Long Schooner and Round Schooner and through Mackie Creek into the Madawaska River. Rapids existed on both creeks so wooden chutes (or slides) allowed the logs to bypass the rapids. When Herb was about 15 or 16 years old, his grandfather, Luther Tooley, lost his leg in a logging accident on the trail between Proudfoot Bay on Fortune Lake and Brule Lake. He managed with a wooden leg for the rest of his life. 

The remains of several old logging roads still exist around the lake, one of which follows the creek down from Camp Lake. Another one branches off Mountain Road and leads into the marsh at the south end of the lake, where at one time marsh hay was cut.

In the 1920’s, Louise’s parents Julius and Carlena (Hartmann) opened a tourist lodge on their homestead on Sand Lake, and Luther (Judd’s father) operated a hunting & fishing camp on Brule Lake. Now known as “Pleasantview Lodge”, the large log cabin on the site was actually moved there by Judd and his brother John, from their mother Emma’s (Wood) homestead. Read more here… click

Gillies Mill Sand Point Braeside…. Fires etc.

The Gillies Fire Braeside July 4th 1949

David Armitage Gillies –Last of the Old “Camboose” Lumber Men