Almonte General Hospital continues a service to Almonte and surrounding communities which has been most significant over many years. A fully accredited publicly operated hospital, it was opened officially on May 31st, 1901, replacing the Rosamond Memorial Hospital, which had served these communities since 1907. Hospital service in this whole area really began as a result of the efforts of one, Mrs. Alex Rosamond in 1903.
In that year, Mrs. Rosamond organized the Alexandra Club to assist the Victorian Order of Nurses in providing nursing care in the Town and District. The Hospital, called the Victoria Hospital, opened in 1904 with two private rooms and a ward with two beds. It was soon found that more care was necessary than what could be carried out in the Hospital and homes and the Cottage Hospital concept was developed. After several makeshift arrangements in homes the Rosamond Hospital was “created” in 1907. In organizing the Alexandra Club, Mrs. Rosamond made house-to-house canvases for young women as members.
The Club was named in honour of Queen Alexandra, who was interested in organizing and working in hospitals A strong Executive was formed and again a house-to-house canvass was made for funds to “create” the hospital.
Memorial plaques from the Rosamond Memorial Hospital were transferred and mounted in the main entrance of the Almonte General Hospital. Prominent among these are two which testify to the early history of hospital services in this area.
“In memory of Mary E. Cotton, died April 3rd, 1950, Wife of the late Alexander Rosamond. She was the Founder and Charter member of the Alexandra Club Club founded April 25th, 1903. ‘Rosamond Memorial Hospital, Almonte.
In connection with the Victoria Order of purses for Canada. Created A.D. 1907.” Two more recent plaques testify to the incentive and effort which resulted in the construction of the modern hospital in Almonte. ■ T he first campaign towards the new hospital was centred around the concept of a memorial to the Late Dr. Jam es Naismith and there is a plaque mounted in his ; memory. The Late Dr. John R. Fraser was Honorary Chairman of the Committee which led to the completion of the new building in 1961.
Acting with him as Chairman was Col. E. D. Taylor with a committee including Dr. E. F. Johnston, R. A. Stewart and P. W. The plaque in the hospital in memory of Dr Fraser testifies to his optimistic enthusiasm which refused to hesitate in face of the many difficulties which faced the Committee at that time. The Women’s Auxiliary of the Almonte General Hospital carrier on the work so ably started by the Alexandra Club as a dream of one of our earlier pioneers. Community support is of vital importance in the continuing operation of a public hospital. Almonte and area have indeed been fortunate over the years to have such dedicated support as was given by the pioneers in the hospital service field and to have this support continued in the Interests of better service to the people of this community.
Mr. Hugh Duncan, Chairman, and Mr, Doug Kells, Secretary, of the Board of Directors of the Almonte General hospital and Mrs. Caroline Tosh, Superintendent, would welcome a visit by anyone interested in seeing first-hand this modern facility which, in cooperation with our excellent Medical staff, provides first-class hospital care for the sick from this district.