Wesson’s Famous Fruit Cake
- 1 cup Wesson Oil
- 1½ cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sifted Gold Medal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 cup pineapple, apple or orange juice
- 1 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1 cup thinly sliced citron
- 1½ cups whole candied cherries
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Diamond Walnuts
- 2 cups coarsely chopped mixed nuts
- Mix together oil, brown sugar and eggs in a bowl. Vigorously beat with a spoon or electric mixer for two minutes.
- Sift together 2 cups of flour and rest of dry ingredients. Stir into oil mixture alternately with the juice.
- Sift remaining cup of flour over combined fruits and nuts. Pour batter over fruit and mix.
- Line 2 greased loaf pans with paper. Pour batter into pans. Place a pan of water on lower rack of oven.
- Bake cakes for 2½ to 3 hours in a slow oven (275 degrees). *Mine took 2½ hours to bake*
- Cool on racks without removing paper. When cool, remove paper and seal in a covered container in a cool place to ripen.
Stephen Giles Photos
Maintaining a 90 year old tradition…. Stephen Giles
Normally I bake these on November 11th but this year decided to get an early start. The recipe is from an Ottawa Journal newspaper clipping my Grandmother clipped from the Ottawa Citizen in 1927.
As Stephen told me:
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)
“Get it On” — Banging Cookies Recipe–This Will Feel Wrong, but Trust Me!
The Invincible Ginger Snap Cookies of Carleton Place
Memories of Woolworths and Chicken in a Van
Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans–Lanark County Recipes
Easy Christmas Cake- Lanark County Recipes
Holiday Popcorn– Lanark County Recipes
Granny’s Maple Fudge —Lanark County Recipes
Albert Street Canasta Club Chilled Pineapple Dessert
Recipes from Lanark County–Glazed Cranberry Lemon Loaf
Gum Drop Cake — Lanark County Holiday Recipe
Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar? Pastry Chef Ben White
“Sex in the Pan” Memories – A RIP Fashion Violation Photo Essay
Katherine Hepburn Did Eat Brownies
I Want Them to Bite into a Cookie and Think of Me and Smile
Favourite Recipes from Drummond Central School