All photos and text thanks to Seth Hamilton!
I love your blog. We’ve been in Ashton for 3 years and have gotten to know many of the older folks in town. We live in the Fleming house which is at 2005 Worley, which was a house over from the castle. ( still looking for comments and photos of ‘the castle:-Looking for Photos of ‘The Castle’ in Ashton)
Our house is often called the Ormrod house because they lived here longest, but a Fleming built it. He married Elizabeth the daughter of Neil Stewart who lived in the little red brick house on Flewellyn (a log home, clad in brick). Some of that home is from the 1840s, but some of it burned. The Stewarts were farmers and owned the big barn tucker in behind town, Fleming took over the farm when he married Elizabeth and built this triple brick house somewhere between 1880 and 1890.
We actually found love letters between Joe Ormrod and Liz McAffrey in the attic floors. Looks like there were two Flemings, at different times and two fleming homes/houses.
Also, there are a few people left here who knew Thelma Crigger. The Jinkinsons still own the garage and still live in the house next to it. The school house was built because Joe Ormrod and Jinkison raised the funds. I found newspaper ads where they were looking in Ottawa for a teacher. If you have any questions about any part of it, I may have more information. We used your blog as a starting point for a lot of research. We have a lot of artifacts. Including an orange order manual from 1914 I think.
Can you add any memories or history? Thanks Seth for this!!
- Wind Storm in Ashton- Heath Ridge Farms 1976
- Dust on the Wind –Ashton Social Notes 1887-1897 Names Names Names
- Another Lanark County “Murdoch Mystery” –Elfreda Drummond of Ashton
- When Trains Crash —Ashton Train Accident 1950
- Mrs Crigger’s House in Ashton?
- The Ashton Hotel– Questions Questions Flemmings and McFarlanes
- McFarlanes –Stewart’s Fire– and Other Things in Ashton
- Somewhere in Ashton-The Ashton Curmudgeon
- The Ashton Funeral to end all Funerals
- Did Anyone Ever Have Fun in Ashton?
- Ashton 101
- Did Anyone Have Fun in Ashton? Part 2- The Fleming House
- How to Catch a Pigeon in Ashton
- The Ashton Carleton Place Car Theft Ring
- Did Samuel Pittard of Ashton Murder His Wife?
- Good Old Lanark County Music–From the 70s to now
- The John Shore House
- Jenkins: Ashton’s log and mortar-chinked history meets modern times
- Did You Know the Ashton Anglican Church Dates Back to 1845?