Drummond Centre Cheese Factory-
Author’s Note- I began to research the Drummond Centre Church and low and behold found this amazing story below of two brothers who had never seen each other for 38 years.
Perth Courier, Oct. 30, 1931
Drummond Centre United Church, 50th Anniversary and Golden Jubilee
A brief history of the congregation: Drummond Centre community was largely settled by pioneers from Scotland over 100 years ago—their spiritual interests were not forgotten and they realized the need of God in their life. The following extract was read and prepared by the late James Shaw at the 40th anniversary and taken from the local paper of October 14, 1920: In the pioneer days in Drummond township many of the early settlers had to travel a considerable distance to Knox Church in Perth. As many of these settlers had come from Scotland, a land where the ordinances of Divine Grace were faithfully attended, the people felt that they must have in their own community some visible sign of Jehovah’s presence. To this end Mr. Duncan McLaren, an elder of Knox Church, Perth, was chosen to appeal to the Brockville Presbytery to form a congregation. After some discussion, the Brockville Presbytery granted the request and steps were taken to form a congregation in connection with Balderson; an outshoot from St. Andrew’s Perth.
In 1877 Mission Fields were formed in the congregations with J.K. Baillie, as the first missionary who remained among us for two summers. Mr. Baillie was followed by John Geddes, who labored for a year and a half after which he returned from Scotland.
The two missions were established—one congregation in the summer of 1880 (illegible word) Rev. J.G. Stuart as minister who was inducted into the charge in October, 1880. His salary was $400 supplemented by $200 from the mission board. During his ministry of over 9 years he endeared himself to the congregation especially in the Sabbath School and among the young. In December of 1889 he resigned being called to St. Mark’s Church, Toronto.
A few months afterwards a call was extended to Rev. J.S. McIlraith of Montreal College and in the spring of 1890 he was inducted. He labored among us for almost 21 years doing faithful work especial visiting the sick and aged. He resigned in the summer of 1911 and was followed by Rev. J.G. Greig.
Rev. J.G. Greig was inducted in the autumn of 1911 and ministered to us for almost 8 years. He too gave us practical and faithful sermons which if we lived out in our daily lives would make us more Christian like in character. In autumn of 1919 Mr. Greig accepted a call to Valleyfield, Quebec. At the close of his ministry the missionary giving amounted to $1,722, there being a gradual increase in the giving from the congregation to the present date. After being several months without a missionary, a call was extended to Rev. G.C. Treanor and accepted trusting that the ministry will be as successful as those who preceded him.
In the fall of 1922 Mr. Treanor retired having accepted a call to Arthur and Goodville in the Saugeen Presbytery.
In March, 1923 a unanimous call was given to Rev. R.A. McRae, B.A., a recent graduate of the Montreal Presbyterian College. He was ordained and inducted in the Balderson church in March, 1923. He did faithful and conscientious work and resigned in 1927 and is now laboring in Minden, Ontario.
Rev. C.M. Currie, M.A., B.D. then became pastor and did faithful work until he resigned in 1930 in order that he might pursue a post graduate course in New College in Edinburgh, Scotland for his Ph.D. degree. Before leaving for Scotland, he married Edith McTavish of Balderson. Recently, he has been called and accepted the call to be assistant minister of Cannorgate Church of Edinburgh, Scotland. In the summer of 1930, Rev. Thomas McNaught, B.D. of White Lake, became pastor and he was inducted on the evening of July 4, 1930.
A few items might be mentioned regarding the Drummond Centre Church. The organizers of the church in Drummond were Messrs. Duncan McLaren, James Shaw and James Stewart. Mr. Stewart deeded the land for the church. Rev. William Burns of Knox Church, Perth, conducted the opening services and preached. The first preacher in the church was the late Mr. Adam Young, followed by the late Mr. Wesley Clarke and he in turn was succeeded by Mr. D.A. McLaren and later by Mr. William McFarlane, now of Prestonvale.
The elders now at Drummond are Messrs. William McLaren, Dan Malloch, J.B. Miller and Wilbert Lewis and the managers are Messrs. Homer Shaw, James McLaren and William McNaughton.
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (USA)