Tag Archives: darling

David Camelon and Family — Clippings–

David Camelon and Family — Clippings–
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
25 Sep 1912, Wed  •  Page 1

The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
25 Sep 1912, Wed  •  Page 1
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
25 Sep 1912, Wed  •  Page 1

William Camelon Sr. and Jenny Stewart along with their three sons John, William Jr. and David came to Canada from Johnstone, Scotland, in about 1841.

They settled on W 1/2 lots 9 and 10, Conc. 6, Darling Twp., but did not register the lots until they received a notice in 1853 from the government saying that they would lose their land if they did not register the lots and start paying taxes which they did. The area was known as Yeoman.

The homestead was built on w 1/2 lot 9, conc. 6, Darling Twp., and it is here the boys grew up. The land is now registered to the late Eric Lee and his wife Gladys. The old house is long since torn down.

The boys continued to live here even after they married and they took jobs clearing land for neighbors as well as their own lots. They were well known as great bushmen.

John Camelon, first son of William Camelon Sr. and Jenny Stewart married Christina Wark in Lanark Village, September 29, 1848 but continued to live at home until the 12th of March 1860 when they bought E1/2 lot 7, Conc. 7, Darling Township from Gaiah and Mary McKean containing 90 acres for $80.00 and moved out.

On the first day of November 1861, they bought E ½ Lot 8, Conc. 6, Darling Township for $300.00 from John Caldwell and his wife.

On the first day of November 1861 they also took out a mortgage on both properties with Charles Rintoul for $220.00.

On the 8th Day of January 1870, they sold E ½ Lot 8, Conc. 6, Darling Township to their son William, married to Margaret McDougall for $150.00

On the 6th day of March 1893, William (Son of John) and his wife Maggie sold E1/2 Lot 8, Conc 6, Darling Township to John Pretty for $330.00. John and Christina stayed on E 1/2 lot 7, Conc. 7, Darling Township until the 19th day of May 1881 when they bought W ½ Lot 8, Conc. 8, Darling Township from William Hall and his wife for $125.00

It is on E ½ Lot 4, Conc. 7, that John and Christine’s son Alexander was killed while falling a tree 5th December 1878. The Tatlock road now passes over the place of his death and is known as Hickory Hill.

Two and a half months before John died, 15th February 1892, they sold E ½ Lot 7, conc. 7, Darling Township to their son Archie Camelon on the first day of December 1891 for One dollar.

John died in Darling Township and is buried at Clayton United Cemetery.

William Jr. (2nd Son) married Sarah Pretty 1857 in Darling Township. On the 23rd of July 1861, William Camelon Sr. sold William Camelon Jr. W ½ lot 9, Conc. 6, Darling Township (the homestead) for 57 pounds.

On the 3rd of May 1870, William Jr. and Sarah sold W ½ lot 9, conc. 6, Darling Township to Peter Barr for $120.00 and moved to the USA where William Jr. died at a young age of 44 years. He is buried in Duluth.

Sarah (Widow) with her family moved back to Canada and on May 9, 1873 bought back W ½ lot 9, Conc. 6, Darling Township from Peter Barr for $150.00. Sarah married Andrew Napier and on 14 March 1878 they sold W ½ Lot 9, conc. 6, Darling Township to George Gunn for $375.00 and went to live at Andrew’s farm.

After the 23rd of July 1861, When William Sr. had sold the Homestead to William Jr. and wife William Sr.’s wife Jenny had gone, William Sr. moved to a three acre plot of land W ½ Lot 8, Conc. 6, where he lived as a bachelor. There is no record of him having registered the land. He had only 1 cow and six hens. He later moved to Pakenham, where he died 15 February 1888, and was buried in United Cemetery, Clayton Ontario.

David Camelon (3rd Son) married Mary Stretch, 25th January 1850 in Lanark Village, Ontario. On Wednesday, the 2nd day of April 1862, William Camelon Sr. sold W ½ Lot 10, Conc. 6, Darling Township to his son David for 60 Pounds.

On April 27, 1867 David bought W ½ Lot 11, Conc. 6, Darling Township from Horatio Gates Flint (widower) for $112.00. On June 23, 1869 David and Mary sold W ½ lots 10 and 11, Darling Township to George Gunn for $560.00

David and Mary had already bought all of lot 24, conc. 3 and N.E. ½ Lot 25, conc. 3, Darling Township (300 acres) for $800.00 from James Stretch on November 20, 1868.

They also bought W ½ Lot 24, Conc. 4, by way of a mortgage from John Rintoul on the 28th day of February 1879.

Mary Died May 11, 1883. On the 6th Day of November 1883, David (Widower) sold W ½ Lot 24, conc. 3, to William Croft for $350.00

David Married Isabelle Boyle (Campbellon) on the 5th of June 1889 in Darling Township.

On December 9th 1890, David and Belle sold E halves of Lots 24 and 25 conc. 3, Darling Township and the W ½ Lot 24, conc. 4 Darling Township to John Craig for $1,000.00

When David Boyle, (Isabelle’s father) died 15th January 1891, the farm NW ½ lot 2, conc. 3, Darling Township was willed to Isabelle by mistake. David and Isabelle lived here while their house was being built on Princess Street in Lanark Village.

When the house was finished, David and Isabelle moved to Lanark and the farm NW ½ Lot 2, conc. 3, Darling Township was passed on the James Boyle ( Isabelle’s nephew) for five dollars.

David Died on Princess Street in Lanark Village, December 1912 and was buried at Clayton United Cemetery.

From Rootsweb

The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
22 May 1918, Wed  •  Page 1

The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
18 Nov 1914, Wed  •  Page 4
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
22 Jun 1898, Wed  •  Page 5
The Lanark Era
Lanark, Ontario, Canada
05 Nov 1919, Wed  •  Page 1

Camelon Clan Reunion – The The Buchanan Scrapbook

The Keeper of the Scrapbooks — Christina ‘tina’  Camelon Buchanan — Thanks to Diane Juby

Where is it Now? The Heirloom of William Camelon

What’s In a Name? Lanark County 101– Or What’s What in 1934

What’s In a Name? Lanark County 101– Or What’s What in 1934

Lanark was a provincial riding in Ontario, Canada, that was created for the 1934 election. In 1987 there was a minor redistribution and the riding was renamed to Lanark-Renfrew. It was abolished prior to the 1999 election. It was merged into the riding of Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke.

In 1933, in an austerity measure to mark the depression times, the province passed an update to the Representation Act that reduced the number of seats in the legislature from 112 to 90. The riding of Lanark was created from parts of Lanark North and Lanark South and consisted of the townships of Beckwith, Bathurst, Burgess North, Dalhousie, Darling, Drummond, Elmsley North, Lanark, Lavant, Montague, Pakenham, Ramsay, Sherbrooke North and Sherbrooke South. It also included the towns of Almonte, Carleton Place, Perth, and Smith’s Falls and the village of Lanark


W H A T ’S in a Name? Sometimes very little. Scores of townships in On- ” tario are called after old-time members of the Provincial Legislature big frogs in the little political puddles of their day—whose names mean nothing to this generation. Sir John Graves Simcoe, first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, gave his own name to one of our counties. Lady Simcoe claimed a share in the work; and to this day three of the townships in that county bear the names of her pet spaniel puppies, Tiny, Tay and Flos. •

 But often in the place names of a community there are suggestions of its ” early history and the origin of its pioneers. The Highlanders who settled Glengarry county have left proof of their love for the old land in the names we find there—Lochiel, Dunvegan, Lochinvar, Dalkeith, Athol, Glen Roy and a dozen others. The Highland emigrant never forgot. 

Lowlanders who came to our own country in 1811-1822 for- or fail to renew in Canada the names of shires and streams and towns which they had known a t home. Lanark, county, township and village,—the Tay, the Clyde, Kilmarnock, Clyde Forks, Glen Tay, the Scotch Line, all remind us of the districts in Scotland from which thousands of our first settlers came. But now our townships, for the most part, preserve the names of the great or near-great men then concerned, in their colonial government or their friends. 

BURGESS, probably from the Bishop of Salisbury, school-mate and friend of Prime Minister Addington (Did you know that North Burgess is now part of Tay Valley?) read- McLaren’s Phosphate Mine — BurgessWood Housing– Anglo Canadian Phosphate Company

ELMSLEY, after Hon. John Elmsley, second Chief Justice of Upper Canada;  Read-A Town Called Barbodies–Port Elmsley 101

BECKWITH and MONTAGUE after Commander J. Beckwith and Admiral Sir George Montague who were friends and guests of Earl Dalhousie Quebec during his term as Governor; – Read-The Beckwith McGregors or readThe Barren Lands of Montague?

DARLING, after Col. H. C. Darling, Military Secretary to Lord Dalhousie for whom he made an inspection and report regarding the Perth and Rideau settlements in 1822. By the way, many years ago I was told by one of the ‘oldest inhabitants’ that this township was named in honour of Grace Darling, the heroic lighthouse girl who, alone in her frail skiff, rescued nine sailors from the wrecked schooner, “Forfarshire” in the storm swept North Sea. Every school reader fifty years ago contained the story of that braV’e deed. One would like to : believe that the township owed its name to her; but she was only eight years old when the survey and naming were completed, and the more commonplace explanation must be accepted.  Read-People are Afraid to Work– Jennie Majaury- Darling Township

DRUMMOND—Sir Gordon Drummond was born a t Quebec .where his father was paymaster of the military forces. Sir Gordon entered the army and served with distinction in Holland, Minorca, Egypt and Gibraltar before coming back to Canada in 1813 to take a gallant part in the war against the United States Read-Drummond Centre United Church — and The Ireton Brothers 38 Year Reunion–Names Names Names

SHERBROOKE—Sir John Cope Sherbrooke followed Drummond as Governor. Perhaps in Quebec he might have worked out some peaceful solution of the troubles and conflicts, even then becoming acute, between the French Canadians, and the British minority there. But the shuffling policy of the British Colonies office convinced him that the task was hard, and his failing health hastened his resignation.  Read-What’s Happening at Christie Lake June 23, 1899

LAVANT—Sherbrooke was succeeded as Governor by the Duke of Richmond. Richmond Village, the Goodwood river (commonly known as the “Jock”) and the townships of Fitzroy, March and Torbolton in Carleton county get their names from the Duke’s family or estates, and our township of Lavant recalls a village near the Goodwood racetrack on the Duke’s estate in Sussex, England. Read-The Lavant Station Fire 1939

Driving between Ottawa and Franktown one passes a cairn on the roadside in memory of the tragic death there of Charles Lennox, fourth Duke of Richmond. 

The story has been often published with varying details. But the account written by his son, Lord William Pitt Lennox, has not, I think, been reproduced in recent years. It may be of interest to read his own words:

That a far cry from the glitter and glamour of his vice-regal courts at Dublin and Quebec, from his sumptuous entertainments at Goodwood, from the gorgeous ball at Brussels where the Richmonds entertained Wellington and his officers on the eve of Quatre Bras and Waterloo, to this poor crazed Charles Lennox, running madly through a Canadian swamp, and dying at last on a pallet of straw in a back-woods cow byre. “He was born in a barn, and he has died in a barn” said the gossips, when the news reached England. Which was true. Read-The Haunted Canoe from the Jock River

Immigration/ settlers stories

Ramsay W.I. Tweedsmuir History Book 1—SOME EARLY RAMSAY HISTORY

Plans For the Lanark County Townships, 1827, with Names Names Names

How Did Settlers Make Their Lime?

Mothell Parish familes that are in the 1816-1822 1816 – 1824 Beckwith Settlers Names

The Old Settlers Weren’t so Old After All

Dear Lanark Era –Lanark Society Settlers Letter

Ramsay Settlers 101

Beckwith –Settlers — Sir Robert the Bruce— and Migrating Turtles

Come to Canada– the Weather is Fine — Immigration Links

Lanark Settlement Emigrants Leave Scotland

Sheppard’s Falls — Shipman’s Falls — Shipman’s Mills –Waterford — Ramsayville Victoriaville and Almonte — Senator Haydon

ROCKIN’ Cholera On the Trek to the New World — Part 4

Rock the Boat! Lanark County or Bust! Part 1

It Wasn’t the Sloop John B — Do’s and Don’t in an Immigrant Ship -Part 2

Riders on the Storm– Journey to Lanark County — Part 3

Six Degrees of Separation — Carman Lalonde and Marie Olivier Sylvestre

Six Degrees of Separation — Carman Lalonde and Marie Olivier Sylvestre

Thank you Jennifer Fenwick Irwin from the Carleton Place and Beckwith Museum for sending me this. From the Middleville Museum

LETARDIF, OLIVIER, interpreter, head clerk of the Compagnie des Cent-Associés, judge of the court of the seigneury of Beaupré; b. c. 1604 in Brittany, in the diocese of Saint-Brieuc; d. 1665 at Château-Richer.

Letardif was at Quebec from at least 1621 on, since he signed the report of the meeting of leading citizens in that year; his presence is then noted from time to time until 1629. By that date he was an assistant clerk for the de Caëns; “experienced” in the Montagnais, Algonkian, and Huron languages, he served also as an interpreter. In July 1629, acting on behalf of François Gravé Du Pont, who was ill, he handed over the keys of the Habitation to Lewis Kirke. We find him in Quebec again in 1633, promoted to be head clerk of the Cent-Associés, and fulfilling the functions of interpreter or witness as required. It was at this period that Letardif collaborated in the missionary effort: he supported the Jesuits and acted as godfather to indigenous people; he even administered baptism and, following Champlain’s example, adopted three young indigenous individuals. In May 1637 he received, jointly with Jean Nicollet (who shortly thereafter became his brother-in-law), the tract called Belleborne on the outskirts of Quebec (a commoner’s grant of 160 acres). In April 1646 he acquired one-eighth of the seigneury of Beaupré. On becoming a member of the Compagnie de Beaupré, with the title “general and special procurator,” he made a score of grants in the years 1650 and 1651.

Then in 1653 Letardif gave up his Belleborne property, which was to become the castellany of Coulonge, and obtained land at Château-Richer, where he settled. From this time onward, until 1659, it would appear that he exercised the functions of seigneurial judge of Beaupré; his “premature senility” apparently caused him to neglect his duties. On 13 April 1662 he sold his fief in the seigneury of Beaupré. This former colleague of the de Caëns, of Gravé Du Pont, of Champlain, and of the Jesuit Paul Le Jeune died at Château-Richer in January 1665, and was buried there on the 28th of that month.

Letardif’s first wife, whom he married on 3 Nov. 1637 in the parish of Notre-Dame de Québec, was 13-year-old Louise Couillard, daughter of Guillaume Couillard. Left a widower in November 1641, he married Barbe Esmard, widow of Gilles Michel and sister-in-law of Zacharie Cloutier the younger, in the parish of Saint-Barthélemy, at La Rochelle, on 21 May 1648. Only one child is known to have been born of the first marriage; three more followed from the second. Olivier Le Tardif is the forefather of the Letardifs or Tardifs of North America.

Olivia DeTardif’s daughter Marie Olivier Sylvestre married Martin Prevost in 1644. Dues to unrest some of her family with the last name of Lalonde moved to Perth hearing the offer of free land. Three brothers: Joseph, Michael and Antoine moved to Darling Township in the French Line area. I had no idea that my friend Carman Lalonde (1926-2016) was the great grandson of Joseph Lalonde. He married Irene Blackburn who I was lucky to know also. They are buried together at the Greenwood Cemtery in Middleville and Carman is the great grandfather of my granddaughter Sophia. Read Marie Olivier Sylvestre: A Special Name In History

You just never know and so happy to add this history for Carman’s history.

Thanks Jennifer once again.

Read-In Memory of Carman Lalonde — Grandfather, Father and Historian of Lanark County

Thank you Jennifer Fenwick Irwin from the Carleton Place and Beckwith Museum for sending me this.

Carman and Heather his daughter
Carman Heather and we share this cutie Sophia
here is not a day that does not go by that I do not think of him. In memory of Carman Lalonde here with his great granddaughter my granddaughter Sophia
Linda Seccaspina
December 25, 2015  · Shared with Your friends, Hannah’s friends and Heather’s friendsFriends

Me and Carman

S.S #5 Darling John Beaton

S.S #5 Darling John Beaton








where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and theSherbrooke Record and and Screamin’ Mamas (USACome and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place. Tales of Almonte and Arnprior Then and Now.

  1. relatedreading

    Halls Mills School– Earl Munro –1968

  2. A Pakenham School Story from Ingram Scott

  3. The Things I did in School?—Tribute to Corey Sample

  4. The Blizzard of 1888– Three Heroic Teachers

    221 Facebook Shares!! Memories of Almonte update– Don Andrews and Mrs. Scholar

    Lanark East Teachers’ Institute 1930 Names Names Names

    The Trouble With Trying to be Normal– The Ottawa Normal School

    Ladies & Gentlemen- Your School Teachers of Lanark County 1898

    “Teachester” Munro and the S.S. No. 9 Beckwith 11th Line East School

    The Forgotten Clayton School House

    Be True to Your School–SS #15 Drummond

    Schools Out for the Summer in the County

    School Salaries of 1918

    Home Economic Winners Lanark County Names Names Names– Drummond Centre

    Lanark County Public School Results 1916 Names Names Names

    Scotch Corners Union S.S. #10 School Fire

    School’s Out at S.S. No. 14 in Carleton Place

    The Fight Over One Room Schools in 1965!

    The Riot on Edmund Street –Schools in Carleton Place

The Bush Fires of Darling Township

The Bush Fires of Darling Township




October 1897

The bush fires were everywhere in the year 1897 due to a period of dry weather. I read lots of accounts of numerous fires in the Ottawa Valley as well as on the Quebec side. It was truly a perilous year.


October 1897

Bush fires have been raging in Darling for nearly two weeks and are doing considerable damage. The fire started on the south side of the river on the boundary line between Lavant and Darling. It originated from a haymaker’s fire which was supposed to have been quenched but was smouldering underground.

It has already extended over an area of six square miles, destroying four hundred acres of wooded land belonging to the Merchants Bank, Perth, and the timber limits of Messrs. J. & J. Herron and T. B. Caldwell. Mr. Larocque, who lives on that side of the river, has lost one stack of hay and Mr. J. A. McFarlane has had great fears of his, though he has so far been able to save it.

On the north side of the river Messrs. J. & J. Herron’s lots on the boundary line have been completely destroyed. Mr. John Stewart, of Waba, who lost his shanties and equipment some time ago by incendiary fires, has been, further victimized by the destruction  of the best of his limits lying along  the boundary line by ares of a similar j origin.

Our informant was an eyewitness of the struggle which *Mr. Thos. Elliott had to save his property  on Thursday last. His premises were completely surrounded by fire and it was only by the most careful watching that the fire was kept under control. Fire was first noticed in a pile of corn husks about forty feet from the house. Immediately after this was extinguished fire was noticed right at the door of the barn. Hardly was the second blaze subdued before fire was again noticed beneath a sloop a few feet from the barn.

While fighting the fires a spark alighted on *Mrs. Elliott’s shoulder and before she was aware of it, it had burned a large hole through her clothing. Mr. Jno. Caldwell, of Darling, had much difficulty in saving the building on his lower lot and despite the best efforts of those fighting the fires three stacks of his hay were consumed. Four or five hundred acres of land belonging to Mr. Jno. Murray, jr., were swept over by the fire and on Friday night four or five acres of the line fence between Messrs. W . C. Craig and P. Foy were destroyed.

On Sunday fire broke out near Boyle’s bridge and was spreading rapidly. The heavy rain, however, should check the progress of the fire and bring relief to the anxiety of those whose property was threatened



*005220-76 Thomas ELLIOT, wid, 28, Perth, Darling, s/o Thomas and Rose ELLIOT, married Ellen Elmiyra MOFFAT, 23, Lanark, Darling, d/o John and Jane MOFFAT, witn: William McKINLEY of Lanark, 14 April 1876 in Lanark



Clipped from The Ottawa Journal,  12 Oct 1897, Tue,  Page 7


Clipped from The Ottawa Journal,  12 Oct 1897, Tue,  Page 7

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.


The Fires of 1897

Smiths Falls Fire-Coghlan & Moag

unnamed (1)

Plans For the Lanark County Townships, 1827, with Names Names Names

Plans For the Lanark County Townships, 1827, with Names Names Names


Perth Courier, Sept. 22, 1933

Plan of Lanark Village and other Townships, 1827, with names


(Donated to the Perth Museum by T. Arthur Rogers of Perth)  This plan, dated Surveyor General’s Office, Toronto, June, (year illegible), and is signed by John Macaulay, Surveyor General.  The names of the east and west (approximate) streets were Argyle, Prince, George, York and Canning while Hillier, Clarence, and Owen ran at right angles to these.  Most of the lots had the names of the owner written thereon and the dates on which the patents had been issued.  James Mair was at that time the largest property owner with 14 lots in his name while William Mair was down for one.  These were all dated July and August, 1845.

John Hall, Esq., had five lots (1843-44-45); J.R. Gemmell, one, 1844; Jas. McLaren, one 1845 and the Baptist Society with two lots (date illegible).  The Caldwells do not appear to have yet arrived on the scene but in 1830(?) Boyd Caldwell and Co. founded the woolen mill which was the principal support of the village during the succeeding half century.

Set of Maps or Plans of the Townships of Lanark County, with the exception of Dalhousie, Ramsay, Beckwith and North Sherbrooke which are missing.  Like the plan of Lanark Village, the names of the then owners and dates on which they had been granted are inscribed on the occupied lands.  Some mention of these names may be of interest to descendents of these pioneers many of whom are living on the original locations.  For this purpose each township will be taken in its turn.




www.bytown.net… Map of Drummond Township, Lanark County, Ontario, Canada, in 1879


On the first concession we find the names of such well known pioneers as Dr. Thom, A. Fraser, J.T. and R.(?) James, Nathaniel and William Stedman, J. Hand and James Bell.  On the 2nd Concession (the part within the town of Perth)—Col. Taylor, Capt. Marshall, Greenly, Harris, Malloch, and Haggart and going eastward C.H. Sache, Henry J.T.&R, William StedmanR.(?) or N.(?) James and Thomas Hands (1855)  On Concession 3—R. Greenel, B. Glen, James and W. Morris, Sutton Frisell, J. McPhail, John Tatlock (1851), T. Doyle, Michael and John Foy (1853).  On Concession 4 Thomas Poole, J. Richmond, J. King (view the 1830(?) grant of the east half of Lot 12 in the museum), W. Morris, Hon. R. Matheson, T.M. Radenhurst.  On Concession 5 Martin Doyle (1853(?)), G. Richmond, Charles Devlin.  On Concession 6, D. Macnee, D. Campbell, P. Campbell, T. Bothwell, W. Thompson, and James Codd (Code).  On Concession 7, D. Campbell, F. McIntyre, T. Whyte, P. Campbell (Beech Groove Lot 6, birth place of Archibald Campbell, Sr., and now owned by the Carr-Thompson family), McGarry, W. Shaw, J.&D. McLaren.  Concession 8, J. Balderson (of Balderson’s Corners), T.&J. Richardson, W. Fraser, T.&W. Stedman, W., M.J. & G. Gould, J. McLenaghan, and P. Sinclair.  Concession 9(?) (paper shows “IV” must be misprint) J. McIntyre, C. Campbell, J&W. Tullis, P. McIntyre, P. McTavish, (initial illegible) and N. McLanaghan, D. & J. Robertson.  Concession 10(?) J. Campbell, J. Cuthbertson, W. & J. McIlquham.  Concession 11 J. McIlquham, R. Matheson, Esq. (1846?)  Concession 12 L. Drysdale (1845?), Hon. Malcolm Cameron (East(?) Lot 9, Concession 12 and west ½(?) Lot 13, all dated 1845 and north of the Mississippi River)





RootsWeb – Ancestry.com Bathurst Twp.


Bathurst Township

Concession 1(?) (West to East along the Scotch Line) Robert Boarnes(?), Anthony Katz, John & William Ritchie, James and John Bryce, Thomas McLean, S.(?) Wilson, heir of George Wilson, A. & James Fraser, Alexander Dodds, Jas. Boarnes(?), T. Cuddie, Francis Allan, William Old, t. Consitt, John Adams, Jas. Allan.

Captain Adams owned Lot 21 (1847) and west ½ of Lot 20 on Concession (number not listed) while Thomas Manion was on Lot 17, Concession 3(?)

  1. Cameron, Esq., had the west ½ of Lot 13,Concession 5; John Doran had been granted Lot 1 on Concession 3(?) (at the west end of Bennett’s Lake) on July 4, 18?7) (Transcriber’s note, the third digit in the last date was illegible). W.A. Playfair owned lots 22 and 23 on Concession 12(?) and John P. Playfair got Lot 21, Concession 12 in 18?? (last two numbers illegible)./

Christies Lake was then called Myers Lake and its outlet to the Tay River.



Perth Historical Society

North Elmsley

The fourth concession south of Rideau Lake were still vacant.  J. McVeity was located on the north shore of Rideau Lake on Oct. 8, 1846.  Patrick King, ditto in the same year.  Thomas Dudgeon, ditto, 1850 and J. Beveridge the next year.  William Croskery and Rev. M. Harris each had a half lot on Lot 27, Concession 9 north of Otty Lake.  This place is inscribed “Surveyor General’s Office Kingston Jan. 11, 1844.  True copy, signed Thomas Parks


burgessnorth1879 (1).jpg

www.bytown.net–Map of North Burgess Township, Ontario, Canada, in 1879


North Burgess

Prior to the “Irish Invasion” George McCullen(?) McCulloch(?) secured 87 acres at the west end of Otty Lake in 1845.  Alexander Cameron got the east half of Lot 5 Concession (number illegible) and the south portion of the west half of the same lot in 1849 and George Palmer obtained Lot 10, Concession (illegible) in 18??(illegible).  John Holliday, Sr., was down for the Clergy Lot 3(?) in the 9th (?) Concession.  Between 1850(?) and 1859(?) the following Irish settlers arrived on the scene coming largely from the counties of Down and Armagh:  Messrs. James O’Connor, Pat Booker(?), Sam Chaffey, Pat Kelly, T. Donnelly, James Deacon, Thomas and William Ryan, Felix Bennett, Francis O’Hare, John Doran, Jas. Lappen, Bernard Farrell, Bernard Byrnes, Peter Power, Pat O’Neill, John Farry(?)Parry(?), Patrick McParland, Michael McNamee, M. Byrnes, Jas. Byrnes, John McVeigh.  Black Lake was then called Salmon Lake and its outlet was the Salmon River.  Hon. R. Matheson owned lots at both Otty and Rideau Lakes.  Dr. James Wilson held the east (?) half of Lot 2, Concession 2(?)3(?) (west side of Otty Lake), John Oatway had lot 23(?) 22(?) Concession 10 (1852(?)1862(?) and T.B. and William Scott secured land on the Upper Scotch Line in 18??(illegible).  However, about half the township was still open for settlement.




RootsWeb – Ancestry.com—-South Sherbrooke Twp.

South Sherbrooke

Hon. William Morris and Dr. Wilson owned Lots 18, 19, 20, on Concession 2(?) on the north shore of Myers (now Christies) Lake—the location of the Christie Lake Iron Mine.  And these two Perthites likewise held hundreds of acres of adjacent ground—probably to protect possible extensions of their iron deposits.  There were many Corry (or Korry), Deacon, and Elliott holders and Hon. R. Matheson, John Playfair, William Lees, and Thomas Brooke had sundry lots.




Lanark Township

Its principle feature is the River Clyde which intersects its western part from north to south.  Such names as James Mair (1845), G. Watt, John Close, Robert Robertson, Patrick McNaughton, Robert Craig, Jas. Rankin, Neil McCallum, Alexander Stewart, Alexander Yuill (1858(?)) and J.W. Anderson indicates its Scottish character.

Pakenham Township

About the middle of the last century the Dickson family appears to have been the largest land owners here.  Samuel Dickson is credited with 850 acres or more while Andrew Dickson (the third sheriff of the District of Bathurst) held 650 acres and Robert James and William Dickson some more.  The Hilliard and Combs(?) farms were also extensive holders as were James Wylie, William Wylie, Hon. William Morris, and James and Alexander Snedden (1858 and 1853).

Lavant Township

With the exception of the large holders probably in connection with lumbering operations of Boyd and Alexander Caldwell, William McKey and John Gillies, this township appears to have been practically unsettled during the 1850’s.


lan-m-lanark wm craig.jpg

Darling Township

Like Lavant, this area seems to have been given up to lumbering operations, sundry lots being held by Messrs. James Gillies, and Peter McLaren (1856), Alexander Caldwell (1855), Robert Haley (1846(?)), C. Henry Bell (1856(?)) and M. Cameron.




www.bytown.net Map of Montague Township, Ontario, Canada, in 1879


Mostly vacant but Patrick Gilhuly had Lot 27, Concession 7 (1841) and J.G. Malloch owned part of Lot 27, Concession 3(?) (1856)


Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and Screamin’ Mamas (USA)



Just a Field of Stones Now? “The Old Perth Burying Ground” Now on Ontario Abandoned Places?

The Old Settlers Weren’t so Old After All

Some Cold Hard Facts- First Tailor in Ramsay and a Cow Without a Bell

Dear Lanark Era –Lanark Society Settlers Letter

Ramsay Settlers 101

Beckwith –Settlers — Sir Robert the Bruce— and Migrating Turtles

EARLY SETTLEMENT OF DALHOUSIE-Tina Penman, Middleville, Ont.

Lanark County 101 — It Began with Rocks, Trees, and Swamps

What Was Smiths Falls Perth and Port Elmsley like to Joseph and Jane Weekes?

Rock the Boat! Lanark County or Bust! Part 1

It Wasn’t the Sloop John B — Do’s and Don’t in an Immigrant Ship -Part 2

Riders on the Storm– Journey to Lanark County — Part 3

ROCKIN’ Cholera On the Trek to the New World — Part 4

Rolling down the Rapids –Journey to Lanark Part 5