May 5 1903
Frequenters of Dalhousie Lake summer resort and visitors who have been deeply impressed with the natural beauty and picturesqueness of the locality will, says the Lanark Era, learn with regret that the old rustic bridge crossing Geddes’ rapids is soon to he torm away and its place taken by a modem structure.
The element of safety had to be considered, and the township council, becoming convinced that the bridge having reached a dangerous condition of decay, were forced to order its removal. Mr. E. T. Wilkie P.L.S., ot Carleton Place, took measurements of the span last Saturday for the purpose of preparing plans and specifications and will ask for tenders to build a new bridge when he has these completed.
It is likely a steel bridge will be built if it can be had for the amount the council will devote to the purpose. It is estimated that it will take from $1,500 to $2,000 to finish the work. The span at present is fifty feet, and it has been suggested to widen this to sixty feet, but the majority of the council are of the opinion that the present width is sufficient, as it has met all requirements in the past, so will likely remain at fifty feet.
Read-The Steads of Dalhousie Lake
Lanark County Tourism
2012 Tenders for Geddes Bridge
After a curved or crooked course of many miles through rocky channels, past dense forest growth of birch, poplar and ever green trees where cultivated farms alternate with rocky barrens and hills the wide Mississippi river comes to a formidable crisis in its path at the high falls of the Mississippi where the leaping stream furnishes the greatest water power for the hydro development between the Ottawa river and the Trent system. A mile or so further down the wild water furnishes a minor power for the saw and roller mills of Walter Geddes; then after a rapid descent past high picturesque hills, one finds peaceful rest for a time on the broad expanse of Dalhousie Lake. On the wide beach of the lake and backed by all kinds of native trees and shrubbery have been built neat summer cottages owned by holiday people from far and near on the hill just above stands the home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Geddes overlooking the lake and cottages and hills and farms which border the beautiful lake. Also read– Knitted Mittens for the Dionne Quintuplets–Mary McInty
Walter was the son of Adam Geddes & Jane Sim, who are buried in the Highland Line Cemetery at McDonald’s Corners.
Plot 504 :
– Walter Geddes 1867-1950
– his wife, Violet McIntyre 1871-1957
Death – Perth Courier – Dec.14,1950 –
Geddes – At G.W.M. Hospital, Perth, on Thursday, December 7, Walter Geddes, beloved husband of Violet McIntyre Geddes, dear father of W. R. and D. F. Geddes, in his 84th year.
Knitted Mittens for the Dionne Quintuplets–Mary McInty
John Lyons John Campbell & Morphy Appleton Bridge Settlements
Primitive Bridges –Where was this Bridge?
The Bridge that Floated on Clayton Lake
The Sharbot Lake Floating Bridge
The Floating Bridge – Claudia Smith
More on The Floating Bridge– Memories of Lyall McKay
The Carp River Floating Bridge