Lanark County’s 1975-78 Dairy Princess 20-year-old Anne McRae of RR 2 Carleton Place is competing in the semi-finals of the Ontario Dairy Princess Competition at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) in Toronto. She is one of 10 contestants who will competes for five positions in the finals that will be held Friday. Forty county dairy princesses were judged in preliminary events at the CNE Aug 28 -through Aug 31. Miss McRae is the daughter of Audrey and Donald M McRae and she teaches swimming for the Ottawa Municipal Swim dub at the Lowertown and Brewer Pools in Ottawa.
She is bilingual speaking English and French and her interests include all sports particularly synchronised swimming horticulture psychology and camping. She is also a member of the Royal Life Saving Society. Her sister Heather said that she’s “very excited she worked hard”. Four other area dairy princesses competed in the contest They were: Diane Jarrell of RR 8 Belleville representing Hastings County Dianne Kelsey of RR 2 Lyndhurst representing Leeds Kathy Michels of RR 4 Wolfe Island representing Frontenac and Val Hart of RR 6 Napanee representing Lennox and Addington.
Four preliminary competitions were held at the CNE and two winners were chosen from each. The two highest point scorers from the remaining 32 contestants were also chosen to go on to the semi-finals. Each of the entrants was scored from a total of 100 points. They received 65 per cent of their mark for their personal interviews during which they were judged on personality knowledge of the dairy industry personal interests and poise and enthusiasm. The remaining 35 per cent of their point total was awarded for public speaking ability judged on content and the demeanor of the competitor. Three judges with a knowledge of the dairy industry evaluate the contestants during each stage of the competitions. This year’s judges include Peggy Knapp who operates a dairy form and is married to a milk commissioner Bob Carbert curator of the Ontario Agricultural Museum in Milton and Jack Higgins of Kemptville an employee of Penwall Industries a sanitizing and chemical company allied with the dairy industry.
The young woman the judges choose as Ontario’s Dairy Princess will become a full-time employee of the Ontario Milk Marketing Board tor one year. In this capacity she will travel extensively in Ontario the United States and Great Britain and she will act as ambassador for the province’s dairy industry.
The Kingston Whig-Standard
Kingston, Ontario, Canada02 Sep 1976, Thu •
So where is Anne Now?
Running for Perth Council this election (2022)
Go Anne Go!!!
CLIPPED FROMThe Ottawa JournalOttawa, Ontario, Canada19 May 1972, Fri • Page 27