This is a photo with some local folks at the School for Deaf and Dumb in Belleville- Faded writing makes me want to research this photo so all is not lost. May 1888–Deaf and Dumb
“Mother’s Uncle Mr. David Watson and students from the Deaf and Dumb School in Belleville”
Deaf and Dumb
“Deaf and dumb” (or even just “dumb”, when applied to deaf people who do not speak) is an archaic term that is considered offensive.
Many Deaf people do not use a spoken language, thus they are technically “mute”. The word “dumb” has at least an archaic meaning that means “mute”. Of course, the word “dumb” also has another more common meaning now that implies stupidity, which is certainly not applicable to most Deaf people.
Given the long history of deafness, and the fact that Deaf people have been incorrectly assumed to be mentally deficient just because they do not speak, you can imagine that most Deaf people do not appreciate being called “Deaf and Dumb”.
Today, anyone using the word “dumb” in such context is …. well … dumb.
The Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf was founded in 1870 in Belleville, Ontario, known then as The Ontario Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb. It was renamed in 1913 as the Ontario School for the Deaf. It has been known as the Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf since 1974.
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 27 Dec 1930, Sat, Page 26
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 24 Sep 1903, Thu, Page 8
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 24 Oct 1933, Tue, Page 18
George Ackermann taught art at the Brockville Deaf and Dumb Institute (he was probably deaf and dumb himself) and painted most attractive na’ive topographical water-colours. One is of a local militia rally near Brockville in 1869, with relatives and lady friends picnicing along the roadside in a holiday mood; others show
Ackermann, George, 1816/7 – after 1860, active 1866-77, (McKendry; Harper; Folk Artists; Painters in a New Land;
——Coverdale Collection of Canadiana; Biographical Index of Artists in Canada)
Ackermann, George, Court House and Jail on Court House Square, Brockville,
Ontario, watercolour on paper, circa 1870, 34.7 x 52.1 cm, National Archives
of Canada, Ottawa, C 40351.
Royal LePage–Tyendinaga, ON
Shocking Cannibalism –Almonte Gazette-January 1891
A shocking case of cannibalism occurred at Callahan’s tavern, at Melrose (near Belleville), one night last week. The parties met at night in the tavern, and after some words on the subject a Mr. Doyle threw a Mr. Egan to the floor and fell on him. Egan cried for assistance—that Doyle was biting him—but before aid could be given Doyle had bitten off a portion of Egan’s nose, which he spit upon the floor and then attempted to seize his victim’s ear, in which he left the marks of his teeth. A warrant has been issued for the arrest of the cannibal.
Was this real cannibalism or just a bad fight with drunken participants?
Photo-Township of Tyendinaga
September 11, 1891-Almonte Gazette
An exciting time occurred on the road near Sand Point. An Arnpriorite who was driving home from one of our local taverns came across a man and two boys, in a state o f great excitement, throwing rocks up into a tree, and vociferating loudly. On inquiring the cause of the turmoil he was informed that they had treed two bears, and he was earnestly beseeched to go back to Sand Point and “get a gun.”
Pat wheeled his horse and went down the road at break-neck pace On arriving at Watty Yuill’s Hotel, Mayor Moran and a few folk who were sitting in front of the hotel were hastily informed of the position of affairs, and a bear hunt was speedily organized.
As fast as horseflesh could carry them they were at the scene, and there way up in the branches, was discovered a black object, clambering about. A volley of stones rattled among the leaves and branches, and soon *‘ the animal” was brought lifeless to the ground.
The crowd rushed forward, and on turning over their game, the Mayor uttered in disgust— “ Be jeebers, it’s nawthin’ but a dang porky-pine.” And so it was, but a very large one.
Melrose P.O. and village is located in the 3rd concession and is the seat of municipal government. The Town Hall a most substantial brick building, is situated in the village. There is a blacksmith’s shop, tavern, two churches and a cheese factory. A school is situated a short distance west of the village. Population 100.
There are ten Post –offices in the Tyendinaga township, which are situated as follows: Shannonville, lot 9, Indian Reserve; Milltown, lot 11, 1st con; Blessington, lot 5, 4th con; Lonsdale, lot 32, 2nd con; Marysville, lot 32, 3rdcon; Millpoint, lot 40, 1st con, Indian Reserve; Melrose, lot 15, 3rd con; Read, lot 21, 6th con; Albert lot 34, 6th con; with offices on the eastern boundary at Kingsford and Roslin, in the north-west corner of the township
A couple of years ago, the Hastings County Historical Society ghost town bus tour stopped to pay homage to the Melrose cheese factory in Tyendinaga township. The foundation wall of aggregate was capped by a row of fieldstones. The old factory, built around 1875, burned in 1957. The fabric of this small community, begun so hopefully, named by the first storekeeper, Mr. Duncan, for his hometown in Scotland, was beginning to unravel. From Ancestral Roofs
Gilbert, Hobart Stinson Dr. 1872-1902 Hobart Stinson Gilbert was born in Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County, on July 26, 1872, son of Nehemiah Gilbert and Deborah Cook. He removed with his parents to Picton in 1880, and passed through the High School there and entered Toronto University in 1893 as a Matriculant, taking an honour course in natural science. He graduated in Arts in 1897 and at once entered Toronto Medical College and obtained his degree in 1900. He married Edna Moore on July 28, 1900. Dr. Gilbert established himself at Angelica, New York, where he commenced the practice of his profession; his ability soon secured for him an extensive practice. He was a member of the Melrose Masonic Lodge in Angelica and the Genesee River Lodge. In July of 1902, he found his health failing and gave up his practice in hope that a rest would restore his health. Dr. H. S. Gilbert died at Brooklin, Ontario, of heart trouble on October 29, 1902, aged 30 years, 3 months and 3 days.
CAMERON, Ronald Ernest, m, Oct. 30, 1913, 3 days, Melrose Ontario, cause – intestinal obstruction 3 days, s/o Alexander Ernest Cameron & Olive May Macfarlane, infm – Rev. A. E. Cameron of Melrose, Tyendinaga Twp. (Hastings Co) 016822-13
MCADAM, Elizabeth b: 1803 in Scotland d: 10 Sept 1871 in London Twp. Melrose, Ontario, Canada
MCADAM, John 1st b: 1770 in Ayr (?) Scotland d: 1 Sept 1840 in London Twp., Melrose, Ontario, Canada
Photo–Find A Grave – Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials471 × 523Search by image—Melrose Cemetery Hastings County Tyendinaga Township Lot 15, Concession 3. Melrose, Ontario
Welcome to the Melrose Cemetery
Tyendinaga Township, Hastings County–click here
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read.
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in Hometown News and now in The Townships Sun