Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 20 Nov 1897, Sat, Page 2
The history of Appleton’s hotels in not well documented. It appears that Appleton had at least two hotels on the East side of the River. One was opposite the cheese factory and the other was opposite the general store. The hotels provided a place for the mill owners to entertain salesmen, a place for travellers to sleep, and served as the local watering hole.
In his book, Historical Sketches of Appleton, Jack Brown makes several mentions of Appleton hotels included:
In 1871 a Mr. Michael Brennan was Appleton’s hotel keeper.
In 1897 Mr. Baker changed the name of his hotel from Appleton House to Bay View House.
In 1904 Mr. Thomas C. Arthur sold the hotel to a Mr. Wellington Spearman.–North Lanark Regional Museum
Divided down the centre by the Mississippi River, the community of Appleton has always depended on a bridge to fully connect the community. Over the years a variety of bridges have been constructed in Appleton.
Credits:North Lanark Regional Museum (2012.87.2)
In 1899 tragedy struck when the bridge gave way and killed two men (see related reading). By 1900 a new bridge had been constructed and was in use. Appleton’s current bridge was built in the 1950s and is almost unanimously considered an eyesore among the local residents.-North Lanark Regional Museum
Credits:North Lanark Regional Museum (2012.88.13) Donated by Communications Canada, Government of Canada
Just a short walk away from the Appleton Boat Launch one comes across a cement table and chairs looking out on the Mississippi River. This quiet retreat was constructed in memory of Brian Cole (Sept. 02 1990 to Jan 10, 2003) Grandson of Delbert & Vera Cole, Appleton Village, by the Appleton Community Association and Friends.
Several community hall buildings stood at this location over the years. The community hall was an important part of Appleton’s social life. The hall was host to 4-H meetings, films, dances, junior farmers, women’s institute, and school plays among other things. The community hall also held the WWII Honor Roll which commemorated all those who had served and those who had died from Appleton during WWII.–North Lanark Regional Museum
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 24 Feb 1897, Wed, Page 2
Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 11 Nov 1899, Sat, Page 12
Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)