Tag Archives: 8th line

A Trip Down the 8th Line in 1970

Standard
A Trip Down the 8th Line in 1970

30653307_10155702234801886_6111382336404717568_n.jpg

 

The 8th Line of Ramsay Township in Lanark County is one of the most historic in the area with a colourful past. The 12th- Line is now mostly populated by newcomers many with an interest in the early settlement Few, however, would have access to the records which mark the 8th line as one of the truly interesting early developments.

The easiest way to enter the 8th Line is turning left to the north on Highway 29 on the outskirts of Carleton Place. The Anglican cemetery is on the left much further down the line, approximately three miles is the Auld Kirk cemetery one of the first final resting places in the county. The church building was last used as a church in 1863 but is opened annually for memorial and decoration services, and serves as a vault in the winter months.

Did you know the first burial was that of a four-year-old child in 1836? This cemetery has an unusual Minister’s Row. where only clergy and their families are buried . For those who are interested in the old traditions, it is an experience to visit this old cemetery and read the interesting epitaphs, and try to visualize the hardy old Scots who pioneered the lands of the eighth line.

The Kirk was originally a Church of Scotland place of worship in 1836, and its manse was the frame structure across the road. It was built in 1835, and is now a private home. There were many churches built along this township line, including the break-away church of the Church of Scotland, the Free Presbyterian Church.

Travelling north along this picturesque county road, one sees many lovely old farmsteads intermingled with newly constructed homes As the road continues, just after passing Auld Kirk, there is the old Tannery School. Built of stone in 1856, two of its seats and a desk are preserved in the Appleton museum.

Just a stone’s throw from the school is an excellent example of early Scottish stonemasonery in the old Tannery Mill. On the bank of Wolf Creek, the building which is converted to a private residence, still has its original roof of Cornish tin brought from Cornwall England. The building was erected before 1832 and was established as a tannery by Isaac Mansell where hides were processed on the main floor, with an upstairs harness shop.

This area of the 8th Line was a thriving business community in the year 1832. There were tailor shops, blacksmiths, and the usual businesses of that day. When the railway was established in Almonte in 1858, just a few miles from the 8th Line, many of the businesses moved to the busier location, and the 8th Line lost much of its activity and never regained it.

Next to the Tannery, continuing on to the north of the Line, is a white frame house which dates back to 1840. Now a private residence, it was originally built as a tailor shop and a residence, with two separate entrances. These two doors remain side by side to this day.

The next farm, now owned by John Camelon was one of the very early farms of Ramsay Built in 1830, the log house covered with clapboard, remains much as it was more than 145 years ago. On the east side of this lovely scenic road, and about a mile from the Tannery, a man once lived who became a historical figure his fame resulted from the fact that he, George Eccles, was the first man in the world to use a wireless on ship to send an SOS. Records show that in 1909, in spite of his efforts, he lost his life, but 200 passengers were saved.

The now famous Mill of Kintail is the next important point of interest on this Lanark County trip down memory lane. A building often overlooked is the stone structure at the entrance to the public grounds. This great stone structure, was once a general store built in 1830 by John Baird,  and the store served the area for years Now a private residence, it is a very fine example of early stonemasonery in Lanark county.

Bennie s Corners School, just down the road from the Mill of Kintail. is a lasting memorial to the settlers of the 8th Line The white frame structure was built in 1869, and graduated many honourable and famous people including, Dr. James Naismith, the founder of basketball.

 

The House on the Hill — Up the 8th Line of Ramsay — Jaan Kolk Files

Tidbits About Ramsay S.S. #9 The Tannery School

Ramsay Barn Fire-Why Were the Tracks on Fire?

Tidbits About Ramsay S.S. #9 The Tannery School

Standard
Tidbits About Ramsay S.S. #9 The Tannery School

35656766_10155829581791886_3394977579390730240_n.jpg

Photo 1981 thanks to Lorraine Nephin- Bruce Sadler’s vintage Canadian/Almonte newspapers

 

1.Built in 1856 the one room school house was on the 8th line of Ramsay and after it was closed it was converted into a private home.

2. The youngsters played games in the schoolyard and had nature walks along Wolf Creek.

35530723_10155829591591886_3786558938997063680_n.jpg

Photo 1981 thanks to Lorraine Nephin- Bruce Sadler’s vintage Canadian/Almonte newspapers

 

3. Edna Scott attended S.S. #9 before the turn of the century and grew up in a house just up the hill. Miss Edith McKecnie was her teacher and yellow flowers grew around the school.

4. Did you know Wolf Creek once overflowed its banks that the water was so high up on the road that some students had to be driven to school as it was waist deep.

5. Miss Edna Lowry (Gardiner) taught part of a term at the Tannery School as it was known in the Spring of 1916.

6. Mr. John C. Sutherland was once school master from 1923 to 1928 and  the first male teacher. There were 5 scholars: John Waddell, Graham Simpson, Jean Naismith and Charlie and Harold More.

7. Mr. Sutherland was paid 80 dollars a month: $50 savings, $20 for room and board to his mother and that left him $10 a month for spending money.

 

35542718_10155829581796886_6736555851865128960_n.jpg

Photo 1981 thanks to Lorraine Nephin- Bruce Sadler’s vintage Canadian/Almonte newspapers

 

8. From 1928-1938 Miss Winnie Lamrock taught school. One of her former students Logan More kept a dollar coin Miss Lamrock gave him for work well done at school. Mr. More was once Ramsay Township’s road superindent.

9.  Lila Corkery was the school’s last teacher. She taught there for 12 years from 1958-1970 when the school finally closed and she was bussed to Naismith School in Almonte.

Dawn Jones said.. It was Lily Corkery not Lila.. Thanks Dawn~

 

 

historicalnotes

9848772 (1).jpg

S.S. No. 9 Ramsay, 1898 – Courtesy of Edna Scott & Jean Macpherson. Seated: Dan Barnes and Wilfred Barnes Standing: Gertie Allen, Eva Shane, Hanna Coon, Julia Burke, Lillian Scott, Eva Coon (in front of Lillian), Edna Scott, Pearl Allen, Orville Allen, Annie Burke, Bertha Craig, Mary Burke, Laura Scott, Alfred Ragsdale, and teacher Edith McKechnie beside her bicycle

S.S. No. 9 Ramsay – Leckie’s Corners, School, Hillside Public School or The Tannery
1953 Ramsay Con 8, Almonte

Built in 1856 of local limestone on the 8th Line of Ramsay Township just west of current day Almonte, S.S. No. 9 Ramsay is an excellent example of a mid-nineteenth century rural schoolhouse.  It remained in continuous service as a school and meeting hall for the residents of Leckie’s Corners and surrounding area for 114 years.  In 1917, the school inspector, Willis Froates wrote that the school should be condemned, but not much was done to improve the situation. In the 1940s, music teachers, Hector Dalimore and later Dana Featherstone, travelled to the different schools in the area. Teacher, Miss Winnie Lamrock gave each pupil, who did well, a silver dollar in 1937 when King George VI was crowned. Mrs. Lillie Corkery began teaching in this school in 1958, until it closed in 1970. In 1984, this property was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act for its architectural and social importance.  Michael and Jean Macpherson converted the school to a home when they became the owners in 1971.

7684189_orig (3).jpg

Afghan knitted by students at S.S. No. 9 Ramsay as part of the war effort, 1943 – Courtesy of Ray Barr. Back: Myrna Papineau, Earl McIntyre, Iris More, Donald Barr, Bob Rollins. 2nd Row: Irene McIntyre, Elsie More, Irene More, Elizabeth More, Jean McGregor, Ruth Rollins, Ray Barr, Bert More, Laurie More, John More, Gordie Barr. Front: Margaret More, Carmel More, Lois Rollins, James Gleeson.

69378441_10156699019026886_2107050671256633344_n

68897953_10156700983131886_6806488875905581056_n.jpg

 

From the scrapbook of Joan Stoddart

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place and The Tales of Almonte

 

The House on the Hill — Up the 8th Line of Ramsay — Jaan Kolk Files

The Grieg School– The Fire and Mrs. Pearl McCann

Ramsay Barn Fire-Why Were the Tracks on Fire?

TWO HEARTS MADE ONE at Balderson Corners — Annie Findlay and “Short Jack” Mclntyre

Standard
TWO HEARTS MADE ONE at Balderson Corners — Annie Findlay and “Short Jack” Mclntyre

balderson1

Balderson-Perth Remembered

The initial story

The 8th and 9th concessions of Balderson forgot their feuds and two join hands in marriage. In July 9 of 1890 many of the good citizens of Winnipeg and Manitoba who hail from the County of Lanark, more especially those who can claim the proud distinction of being able to refer to Balderson’s Corners as the fountain of civilization from which sprang their social life, will learn with pleasure that Mr. John P. (Patton) Mclntyre, of Bathurst, familiarly known throughout the county as “Short Jack,” today renounced bachelorship, and led one of the fair ladies of “The Corners,” in the person of Miss Annie Findlay to the altar.

The event had been looked forward to for a considerable time by the many friends of the happy couple, and this announcement that the event was to take place created quite a ripple among the society of the neighbourhood, especially along the 8th and 9th lines. The invitations were numerous and were generally accepted. Guests were present from all sections of the county, many coming from points as far distant as Dalhousie, Lavant, South Sherbrooke and the “Snow Road.”

The ceremony was performed by the Kev. Mr. Mcllwraith, the minister to whom a call was recently moderated in by the Lanark presbytery. Now that “Short Jack” is off the hooks, it is felt here that the good example will be followed by the numerous young “bloods” of the concessions, and that they will go and do likewise. As the new couple left on the honeymoon trip, the good old fashioned jubilations were indulged in along the route.

Many shots were fired and other manifestations of joy and good feeling were exhibited. The happy groom had many friends and relatives in Winnipeg, being a first cousin of Mr. P. C. Mclntyre, a well known citizen of the city. It may surprise some to learn that “Short Jack” is P. C’s senior by quite a few years. It is a well-known characteristic of the Mclntyre clan that in matrimonial affairs, as in all matters of business, they are uncanny, but experience has proved that they eventually fall victims to Cupid’s all too powerful darts.

The Update

I went sleuthing after I wrote this and found out: Annie gave birth to a daughter named Annie a little over a year later when Annie her mother was 39. Annie, the mother was obviously ill after giving birth as she died barely 4 years later in 1895. John got remarried (unknown) and added a male child to the family in 1896 and died later in 1900 at the age of 62 leaving two children age 4 and 9.

 

geneaAnnie W Findly, spinster
Age: 38
Birth Year: abt 1852
Birth Place: 9th Concession of Balderson
Marriage Date: 9 Jul 1890
Marriage Place: Lanark, Ontario, Canada
Father: Alex Findly
Mother: Annie Young
Spouse: John P McIntyre

Marriage

9 Jul 1890 • Perth, Drummond Twp, Lanark Co, Ontario, Canada

John P McIntyre, farmer
Age: 52
Birth Year: abt 1838
Birth Place: 8th Penssion of Drummond
Marriage Date: 9 Jul 1890
Marriage Place: Lanark, Ontario, Canada
Father: Peter McIntyre
Mother: Christina McIntyre

Spouse: Annie W Findly

Birth

Annie Finlay McIntyre

1891–BIRTH 8 OCT 1891  Bathurst, Lanark, Ontario, Canada

DEATH Unknown

Death of Mother Annie W. Findlay(1850–1895)
20 Oct 1895 • Bathurst Twp, Lanark Co, Ontario, Canada
1895


Birth of Brother Peter Finlay McIntyre(1896–)

22 Jun 1896 • Balderson Drummond Lanark, , Ontario, Canada
1896

Death of Father John Patton McIntyre(1838–1900)
21 Apr 1900 • Perth Town, Drummond Lanark, Ontario, Canada

 

And the Power Went Out — A Vintage Flashback

Standard

On Wednesday, a Hydro poll was hit on Victoria Street earlier in the afternoon, and power was not restored until 930 PM. As I drove down Bridge Street after dark it was so eerie to see one side of the main street lit up, and the other sitting in the dark. I felt for the 500 residents that were without power, and the businesses that lost half a day of business.

ryan

Photo by Ryan Gard- Carleton Place Social Scene

It reminded me of an incident I took pictures of from the files of Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum months ago. In February of 1975, it was reported in the Carleton Place Canadian that Carleton Place and the surrounding district was without power on that Monday in February due to a school bus hitting a hydro pole on the Ramsay Township 8th line. The accident occurred on a regular morning pickup of students going to school in Almonte.

schoolbus

Alan Thompson of R. R. 3 Carleton Place skidded on the snow packed road, slid into the ditch and came to rest on the hydro pole. There were no serious injuries, but the kids were shaken up. Damage to the bus was around $200, but repairs to the pole would be about $1000. The hydro crews arrived quickly but had a task ahead of them with many wires down on the ground. The freezing weather hampered repairs, but service was soon restored.

schoolbus1

%d bloggers like this: