Tag Archives: 1940

Pages from —The Ottawa Horicultural Society Prize List 1940–Simpson Book Collection

Standard
Pages from —The Ottawa Horicultural Society Prize List 1940–Simpson Book Collection

From the Simpson Book Collection-Ed and Shirley’s Simpson –Historic Books — the List

The Ottawa Horticultural Society was founded in 1892. It is a non-profit organization that exists to promote gardening and horticulture in Ottawa. This is done through a series of presentations, flower shows and workshops. The Society also carries out community beautification projects in Ottawa. CLICK HERE

“Mr. McRae loved these flowers so much he decided to begin a project–hybridizing a gladiola. is experiments were so successful  that he had new versions of them listed in catalogues. He won a silver medal for his breed and his bloom was accepted by every province in Canada. he won 15 firsts with it in Montreal shows and was grand champion of the Ottawa and District Gladioli Society. Carleton Place folks of a certain age on Queen and Santiago will remember the tremendous numbers of gladioli he used to grow there”.

CLICK on the story

Where Have All the Flowers Gone? Benson McRae

click on the story..

The Lanark Ginseng Company?

read–Pollock and Dora McDougall’s Rose Garden — 47 years later …..

Ed and Shirley’s Simpson –Historic Books — the List

Remember Lover’s Lane? Lover’s Walk? Les Chats Sauvage? Simpson Books

You Have to Open Up a Business Here!!! 1912 Ottawa Marketing — Simpson Books

Down on Main Street– 1911-Photos- For the Discriminating and the Particular — Simpson Books

The General Hospital 1867-1929 Photos — Simpson Books

Renfrew Fair 1953-1953-Ed and Shirley (Catherine) Simpson

Did You Know? Union School #9 and Goulburn #16

When One Boat Filled the Rideau Lock–Rideau King

Women’s Institute Burritts Rapids 1902-1988

Looking for Photos of ‘The Castle’ in Ashton

A Romantic Story of the Founding Of Burritt’s Rapids

The First Half Century of Ottawa Pictorial McLeod Stewart – Simpson Book Collection

1906 INDUSTRIAL AND PICTURESQUE OTTAWA CANADA – PHOTOS— Simpson Book Collection

Ottawa, The Capital of the Dominion of Canada 1923 Simpson Book Collection

Views Of Ottawa (Aylmer) Basil Reid 1890-1900 Simpson Book Collection – Photos Photos Photos

The Ottawa City Directory 1897-98 —Simpson Book Collection

“Ottawa Flashbacks” Photo Collection- Simpson Book Collection

The Pakenham Fire of June 1939 –Names Names Names

Standard
The Pakenham Fire of June 1939 –Names Names Names

45483013_10156104692286886_7619685339346501632_n.jpg

Marilyn Snedden via  the collection of Margie Argue and her late brother Dan Paige

 

In June 20 of 1939 several people were endangered and three building destroyed when fire broke out in the butcher shop of G. L. Hawkins, on Graham street, at 3 30 o’clock that morning, and for a while threatening the centre part of the village.

The total loss of buildings and contents was estimated as $7,000 Mrs. Albert H. Steen, owner of a double house adjoining the shop; her daughter. Mrss Mary Steen: Mr. and Mrs William McDonald and their daughter. Miss Pearl McDonald, all occupants of the  Steen house, escaped from the burning building with only a few pieces of clothing and furniture. No one was injured.

The origin of the fire is not known, but it is believed to have started in the rear of the butcher shop, spreading to the brick veneer home of Mr. Hawkins and to the frame, clapboarded double house owned by Mrs. Steen both adjoining the shop.

The loss of the store and its contents is about $2,000. the brick house and contents $3,000. and the Steen home $2,000. Insurance partially covers the losses. The fire spreading from the shop, first entered the section of the double house occupied by the J. McDonald family. Awakened by the smoke, they had just enough time to grasp some clothing and  escape from the upper storey.

A  few pieces of the downstairs furniture was removed before the flames made further salvaging impossible. Mrs. Steen and her daughter, Miss Steen who is a graduate of the Ottawa Civic Hospital, also had little time to rescue clothing or furniture. The Pakenham fire brigade was called but, consisting only of a  pump and water tank, was not effective. The Almonte brigade responded to a rail for help, but their arrival was too late to be of any use except to prevent the flames from spreading further. Fire Chief Harry Houston of Almonte was in charge of the brigade, which soon exhausted the water supply in a well, and other supply was too far distant to be of use.

 

45416214_10156104692291886_6517541192970797056_n.jpg

Marilyn Snedden via  the collection of Margie Argue and her late brother Dan Paige

 

 

 

historicalnotes

 -

Clipped from

  1. Ottawa Daily Citizen,
  2. 21 Jul 1880, Wed,
  3. Page 1
    1.  -  1939
    2.  

      relatedreading

      Mayne Store–Memories of the Pakenham Fire 1940

      1. The Pakenham Fire of 1940

      2. July 8, 1940 Fire at the Mayne Store Pakenham

      3. Dickson Hall Fire Pakenham-H. H. Dickson

      4. Fire at Pakenham Woollen Factory with Town Directory

July 8, 1940 Fire at the Mayne Store Pakenham

Standard
July 8, 1940 Fire at the Mayne Store Pakenham

img.jpeg

 

July 8, 1940 Pakenham’s main business block was this morning reduced to a mass of smouldering ruins when the worst fire in the history of the village caused damage estimated at between $60,000 1 and $70,000. The buildings destroyed were five business places and two residences. Two other homes were badly damaged and the heaviest loser was Mr. James Cox, whose three-storey stone store and residence had been a landmark in Pakenham for decades.
Losses in Conflagration: The victims of the conflagration and their estimated losses were: James Cox, general merchant, $25,000, with insurance of $8,-000. Preston Burgess, merchant, and Bell Telephone Exchange, $10,000, partially insured. Alex. Lesage, merchant, $2,-000, insurance $1,000. L. A. Mayne, store and residence, $10,000, partially covered by insurance. Post office, $2,000. fully covered. Isaac Smith, residence, $5,000, partially covered. Mrs. Andrew Stewart, residence, $1,000, fully covered.
The fire was first noticed about 11.30 p.m. Daylight Saving Time, by William Jordan, whose place of business is directly across the street from the Mayne store. He had just driven into the village when he noticed flames in the upper story of the rear of L. A. Mayne’s grocery and confection ery store. There was no person in the store at the time and Mr. Jordan promptly sounded a general alarm and Pakenham’s volunteer firemen did what little they could under the circumstances, but the building in which the fire started was of frame construction as were the two other buildings adjoining on the north.
A southwest wind carried the flames quickly toward the Cox store and to some sheds in the rear. It looked for a time as if the entire northerly part of the village on the east side of Main street would be swept and Mr. Cox promptly telephoned to Almonte, Carleton Place and Arnprior for fire fighting equipment and men. Ten men with the new booster pumper from Almonte were quickly on the scene but the fire had by this time raced clear around the large Cox building and was enveloping the remaining buildings in the block on the north side, both of them frame and occupied by Mr. Preston Burgess as grocery and telephone exchange and by Mr. Alex. Lesage, boot and shoe merchant.
At 3.30 o’clock Chief Harry Houston of the Almonte firemen declared the fire under control and neither the Carleton Place nor Arnprior equipment was used. The former could not get their heavy engine loaded and transported in time and the Arnprior machinery was not suitable for pumping water any great distance. But both brigades had . a complement of men, on hand and they handled a difficult situation efficiently. To the Almonte firemen was accorded the major credit for confining the blaze within the one block. They made the trip in record time, ran their new pumper down to the river edge, a distance of more than 1,000 feet, saved the Mayne and Stewart houses from utter destruction and kept the flames from jumping to frame buildings across the street.
There was general acclaim for the Almonte equipment and the manner in which it was handled. Fire Chief Injured Chief James Barber of the Carleton Place fire brigade was severely injured while endeavoring to load the engine at the railway depot, but, he was the, only casualty. Hugh Tetlock ‘ look over and captained the men from the Junction Town, while Councillor L. J. Gavin, chairman of the fire and light committee, also went along to give what assistance he could. They, with the Arnprior firemen under Chief W. G. Beatty, worked constantly until six o’clock this morning. No explanation was offered as to how the fire started. The upper part of the Mayne store was formerly used as a residence, but it was for the most part a storeroom; there were neither matches nor inflammable materials kept there, thus the origin of the blaze remains, for the present a complete mystery.

 

 - DAMAGE OF $70,000 IN PAKENHAM FIRE Blaze Sweeps...

July 1940

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships

Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.relatedreading

Mayne Store–Memories of the Pakenham Fire 1940

The Pakenham Fire of 1940

R Scott & Son Pakenham Gents Furnishing Dept.

The Mystery of the Masonic Rock – Pakenham