Taylor Brothers were very popular hardware stores with its home base located in Carleton Place and they other stores in Almonte, Lanark and Perth
CLIPPED FROMThe Lanark EraLanark, Ontario, Canada17 May 1911, Wed • Page 1
LANARK VISITED BY FIRE. 1911
Taylor Bros. Warehouse and Contents Destroyed Mrs. McGuires Block
Lanark narrowly escaped destruction last Saturday morning when fire broke out in the workshop Messrs. Taylor Bros. Limited, spread with rapidity to the storehouse in front and wiped out of existence the big frame building, together with a large stock of hardware and pipes valued at over 4,000.
At time the roof of a score of buildings close by ignited, aud it looked as though it would end in a general conflagration and the village would be wiped out. But the brigade stuck unflinchingly to their task, and after hours of stubborn fighting it could be seen that the fire was under control.
Next to the building the greatest damage was sustained in the building owned by Mr. Thomas McGuire, and used by Mr. A. J. McDonald as a storehouse. Here were stored quantities of feed, of which was removed in lime to safety. But the building itself presented the greatest danger. Only separated from the burning building by an alleyway not more than ten feet wide, time and time again it burst into flame only to be beaten out by three streams of water that swept the flaming walls.
The first seen by Mr. T. Lett Simpson, Manager of the Lanark branch of Taylor Bros., Limited. He got up out pf bed to put down the window, and was awakened by the flash and crackling like an approaching thunderstorm. He attended the fire at once, and, without so much aa taking the time to change into conventional attire. He sped to the fire alarm in a nightshirt and bare feet.
The tolling of the bell was heard in a hundred homes, and instantly there appeared men and women pouring from all quarters. The Clyde Woolen Mills, situated not more than one hundred yards away, had a splendid stream of water going in a twinkling, the town brigade followed shortly with a second stream.
A volunteer pail brigade meanwhile stationed themselves on the housetop, east of the tire and by incessant watching succeeded in stopping some of the fire that would catch now and again by floating embers. Shingles and pieces of wood carried a far as Jas. Bair’s farmhouse, nearly a quarter of a mile away.
The fire was too far advanced to save much of the contents after the men arrived, only a few rolls of wire and sundry small sides were withdrawn unharmed. The great task was to keep the blaze confined, which in itself called forth the very best efforts of the brigade.
Captain T. Lett Simpson directed his men with good judgment and succeeded in stopping the fire zone enlarging. Barrels of oil, cylinder oil, tank of coal oil, a full line of house paints fed the flames which leaped a hundred feet in the air and reared with a mighty noise. Two thousand live hundred rounds of ammunition, owned by the local Rifle Association and stored away, rattled like a cannonade, like a score of guns.
The hose played here and there where the most effect could be had. Holes were cut in the roof next door und a stream sent in that held the fire back. The fire engine wordked under pressure and halted not for a single second through all the exacting demand. In perfect running urder, the shining Clyde proved itself one of the very best engines through hours of heavy work.
The scene presented an exhibition of effective fire fighting. Considering the danger to the town, very little excitement waa displayed. The gallant firefighters moved from point to point grimly beating the flames inch by inch, stand by stand, until finally they got control of the situation well in hand. It might be surmised that a fire occurring at such an early hour not many citizens would call to the source. All sorts and conditions of men appeared in ail sorts and conditions of attire, mostly of the deshabille order. It did not matter if a professional gentleman who I have seen usually groomed with the greatest care should jump from the fray garbed like a tramp. No one noticed anything like that.
Nor should a lady come alung with dishevelled locks and swathed in a blanket. They were there to fight fire, and it did not matter if collar and cuffs wore lacking. It wa just that the alarm had rung, the village alarm ringing, then the sawmill joined in the awakening.
The village engine was rushed to the river at the bridge and from that point forced the water up hill. The men were completely exhausted when safety was declared and the charred, smoking heap of ashes gave strong testimony to the great work they had done. Some had escaped by the skin of her teeth, and to the gallant men to whom we owe our safety we are deegily grateful.
Injuries were light–: in several eases men fell off roofs, but luckily all managed to avoid serious hurt. A few sore shins compeled men to limp slightly, but these minor injuries are borne cheerfully. The town is safe and that is everything. Farmers from all the surrounding country streamed into th evillage alarmed by the steam whistles going.
So What Happened To The Taylors?
William Taylor operated his business along with all of his sons until he turned the operation over to sons John and Frank. The other brothers moved on to different places throughout the country. For example Alexander moved to Winnipeg along with his new wife Marion Brown who was the aunt of WWI flying ace Captain Roy Brown.
During the late 1800’s the Taylor Family along with other families such as the Browns, Gillises & Findlays were the creme’ de le creme’ of high society in the town. There was a rich level of culture, privilege, recreation and art that was very much alive and well in Carleton Place at that time. These families not only socialized but inter-married with one another.
John and Frank ran successful hardware businesses in both Almonte and Carleton Place until the depression occured in 1929. By then they had gotten HERE into the automobile industry and had extended credit to many of their customers and members of both communities. As the depression dragged on these dedts were never paid and by the late 1930’s the brothers could hang on no longer. The Taylor Block in Carleton Place was eventually sold in 1945. from CLICK HEREand read-Sir Malcolm Campbell Bluebird for Sale at Taylor’s Garage?