Tag Archives: 1886

New Buildings in Almonte Summer of 1866

New Buildings in Almonte Summer of 1866

Judging by present appearances this summer will be a busy one for builders in Almonte. Among other erections under way and in contemplation are the following: 

almonte.com Methodist Church

The new Methodist Church, which will be of stone, instead of brick, and will cost $8,000 or $9,000. 

Church Street School— almonte.com

The Church Street School, at a cost of $3,175—contract price.

 Mr. J. K. Cole’s large new brick hotel and outbuildings, tenders for which will be asked next week. 

Mr. W. McArthur’s three-story brick building on Mill street, with two stores on ground floor, dwelling on second floor, and Oddfellows’ hall on third. Cost, about $6,000. 

almonte.com -Union Street Towards Methodist Church

Mr. T. R. White’s new frame residence on Farm street, which, when completed, will cost about $1,000. Next to Mr. White’s the cellar for a double tenement to be erected by Messrs. Shipman Bros, has been dug out. When finished it will cost about $1,500. 

Mr. Robert Patterson will erect a fine brick residence—two stories and mansard roof—on the lot next to Major Macdonell’s residence, Elgin street. It will cost in the vicinity of $1,500. 

Mr. Norman Stevenson has put up an office for Mr. A. Bell. C. E., opposite the Registry Office. 

Mr. Arthur O’Hara is erecting a frame dwelling for himself on the comer of Martin and Princess streets. It will cost about $800. 

 Mr. O’Hara also has a contract for the erection of a dwelling for Mr. P. Dowdall, shoemaker, in the Mitcheson section. It will be veneered with brick, and will cost close on $1,000. 

Mr. A. France has just completed a new frame dwelling-house north of Martin street.

 last one standing

Mr. J. Jamieson. M. P.. has men at work putting up five tenement houses opposite the High School. 

Mr. R. Cameron has been making preparations for erecting Mrs. Dowdalls new brick residence on Union street. It will cost $1,000. 

Mr. Andrew Bell. C. E., will erect a $2,000 solid brick residence this summer.


laying the cornerstone at St. Paul’s- almonte.com


In addition to the above quite a number of other new buildings are spoken of, and improvements to the extent of several thousand dollars are contemplated in connection with St. Paul’s Church

May 1866 – Almonte Gazette

Sir John A. MacDonald and St. Mary’s

Sir John A. MacDonald and St. Mary’s


Sir John A visited Carleton Place Clipped from The Ottawa Journal, 30 Jun 1886, Wed, Page 2

Shane Wm Edwards said: There was a story once that MacDonald was on the train to Ottawa but got off in Carleton Place to get a drink at the nearest hotel then missed the train and had to wait for the next train and while drinking he regaled the other customers with the speech he intended to give in Ottawa on Dominion Day. Perhaps this is the source of that story?


Today I found this… “A Legion of good looking girls?”

 - ! . ' . , . r i-ojimw,,..--."'.'-; -SIB -SIB...

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal,  30 Jun 1886, Wed,  Page 3



Base of Photo fromVirtual Reference Library


 - A aoatingent of Carleton Place ladies ars...

Clipped from The Ottawa Journal,  29 Sep 1886, Wed,  Page 4 - Bill JOHN' IloLNKtJS. Tiio Ottawa oorrospondent...

Clipped from Manitoba Free Press,  15 Apr 1886, Thu,  Page 4



Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun andScreamin’ Mamas (USA)




St James and St Mary’s Christmas Bazaar 1998 -Who Do You Know?


What Do Sir Wilfred Laurier and Lanark County Women Have in Common?

In 1897 architect George White had a vision of a Richardsonian Romanesque style building for the Town Hall of Carleton Place. For a mere $26,000 he built the breathtaking structure to include a wonderful concert auditorium with a ceiling of pressed metal. Not only was there mosaic encaustic flooring and fancy woodwork, but the Council Chamber was often called the “Red Chamber” because of the fine pine woodwork with a red satin finish.

Sitting on the south shore of the Ontario Mississippi River this building of beauty also held its silent mysteries. There were whispers of a secret window and of course the Carleton Place jail existed in that very building until a new one was built on Coleman Street.

Long before the Town Hall was built, a servant girl at the Leland Hotel, Sarah Marselles, was killed in October of 1873. While attempting to retrieve wood for the stove from a wood box, she inadvertently bumped a loaded rifle which discharged, killing her instantly. Some say a female shadow wanders the Town Hall park at night. Did Sarah find solace in the darkness of this heritage building, or did she just need to hear the peaceful flow of the Mississippi River to calm her soul.

Some visitors have reported the feeling of being watched and there is the odd cold spot and freak gust of wind within the building. There is no doubt the spirits of former prisoners still drift around the corridors of the building seeking some sort of peace. But in reality ‘aren’t ghosts like true love? Everyone talks about them but few have ever seen.’ Maybe they are just running up imaginary stairs for an eternity only to find there will be more to climb to seek what they are looking for.

The auditorium has hosted such notables as Sir Wilfrid Laurier, who spoke in the grand hall during the country’s 1911 election. The town hall was packed that night and ONLY the women that had set up the refreshments and cleaned for the event were allowed to sit in the upper floor and watch the speech– as long as they remained quiet.

M,y how things have changed.