Tag Archives: 1800’s

Carleton Place 1857- Your Butcher Your Baker and Your Candlestick Maker -Names Names Names

Carleton Place 1857- Your Butcher Your Baker and Your Candlestick Maker -Names Names Names

 - The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
21 Oct 1933, Sat  •  Page 26



Montreal, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Wed, Mar 11, 1857 · Page 2




Carleton Place Directory 1859


  2. 1898-1899 Carleton Place Directory

  3. Carleton Place 1903 Business Directory –Names Names Names


    Village of Lanark Business Directory 1886– 1887

    Business Directory for Ferguson Falls 1866

    Business Directory for Ferguson Falls 1866

    Farmersville 1859 County Directory (Athens)


  2. Charleston Lake Village 1800s Directory

    The Tiny Hamlet of Bellamy’s Mills 1851

  3. Business Directory of Carleton Place 1866 and 1867- Any name you recognize?

Handwritten Notes from 1821- Erin McEwen

Handwritten Notes from 1821- Erin McEwen


download (81)


Erin McEwen–here is the direct “translation” of the handwritten notes from 1821. I apologise for the grammar, etc., but this is a true copy:

Author’s Note- Hannah Stedworthy could also be Hannah Stidworthy in various translations.


In June 1821, a party of stalwart young Scotch men and women assembled at the Stedworthy Home in Dornock Scotland to make arrangement for their sailing to Canada – a new country just opening up.


Among the group was a young married couple, William McEwen and his wife who before her marriage was Hannah Stedworthy. This young couple, having all the comforts of life in their own home were advised by their parents not to risk the hardships and trials which lay before them; but with great courage and ambition, they bid adieu to friends home and their country and set sail in June for their new land.


The voyage was long and rough, it taking many months at sea (5 months), and it took days to make the trip on land. They landed in Brockville and made the trip to Perth in a covered wagon drawn by oxen. After getting all information as to the blazed trails, they struck off themselves leaving the rest of their party to go where they desired. They strapped their belongings on their back consisting of an ax, a tea set, a lock and key to lock a shanty when they would build one, a treasured Bible which they always read while resting, soda salt-flour and a griddle to cook the scones.


The way through the bush was a blazed one with many swells and bogs on their pathway but they plodded on for many miles, digging up the soil here and there to examine it. Finally, they came to a creek and spring with a nice rise of trees leading up from it. This soil looked good around the roots of the trees and they decided to build a wigwam there. They intended to build a shanty at once; but they were expecting the stork to visit them soon. They at once set to work and cut poles and covered them with brush. While they were busy at work building their wigwam (which was in an adjacent field to the present McEwen home), they heard the sound of an ax at a distance. The two set out in the direction of the sound to fine one Sandy McLean and his wife making a scow under a basswood tree on the 7th line.


Rejoicing to have found these friends who to had come from Scotland near them, and the women only too glad to be able to help one so young who needed a friend for on that cold November night, a male child was born in the wigwam. The first white male child born in Ramsay Township. They called him William after his father. Soon after, they build a shanty on the hill by cutting down trees and piling them up and burning them.


They tore up the soil around the trees with a drag two poles pointed with wooden teeth dragging the ground, sowed seed by hand which they carried on their backs from Perth, reaped it with a sickle, catching a cluster in one hand and cutting it with the other. Thrashed it will a flail, cleaned it in the wind with a hand sieve and carried it back to Perth on their backs to have it stone into ground flour and then brought back to make scones and bread. They planted hops and trained them to run op poles, picked blossoms off and boiled them and used the boiling water on flour, salt and grated potatoes to make yeast. They used a pumpkin cut in two and scooped out for a basin. They used flambos, a piece of twisted cotton or string layered on a pewter spoon, the spoon filled with tallow. It was then stuck into a crevice in the wigwam (and later the shanty), for a light. They had no matches. They used flint. They would strike the flint on a piece of steel or pocket knife, a park from the flint would light the punk. The rotten core in maple gathered for this purpose.


When the surveyors came from Perth to survey the lines, McLean’s had build their shanty directly on the 7th line so McEwen’s had to build another shanty nearer to the 7th line where three more sons and 1 daughter were born. The father died, leaving the mother and son William on the farm. The others went to Western Ontario



The Saga of a James Street Home— Christina McEwen Muirhead

What Was it Like Living in Beckwith 1800s? Christina McEwen Muirhead

Christena McEwen– The Belle of Beckwith Part 1 -“The Woodcocks”

Killed by Zulus — Duncan and James Box

Was a Boldt Castle Boathouse Once in our Midst? See the Home of the Daphne!

He Hailed from Carleton Place– Harold Box– The Forgotten Scientist?

The Continuing Saga of Christena McEwen Muirhead—The McLaren Mill

“Bossin’ Billy” McEwen Muirhead –Box family

McLaren Left it All to the McLeod Sisters–His Maids!

“2,000 people on the streets”–Dr. Finlay McEwen of Carleton Place

The Lost Gilles Family Ephemera Rescued

The McEwen McEwan Fire 1949

The Spirit of the 7th Line

History Still Lives on at The McEwen House in Beckwith

The Gnarled Beckwith Oak

So Where is that Gnarled Oak in Beckwith?

A Rare Photo of S. S. #5 Dalhousie 1890s — Thanks to Donna Mcfarlane

A Rare Photo of S. S. #5 Dalhousie 1890s — Thanks to Donna Mcfarlane





Aunt Margaret had this in a frame   but she had the names in behind
it..that she knew- Donna Mcfarlane
Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place and The Tales of Almonte

Laundry Down By the River

Laundry Down By the River
Here is a story about wash-days in early times and it will prove an eye-opener to the ladies who today use electric washing machines and all the modern paraphernalia of wash-day.
It appears that between the 1840s and 1850s  many of the women used to wash their clothes in the river. The clothes were carried down in wicker clothes baskets. Then the clothes were put into a shallow natural basin near the shore. There was a current of water over this basin and the dirty wash water was thus carried away.
After the clothes had been put in the natural basin, they were thoroughly rubbed with soft soap or other lather-making soap and then then were pounded with a wooden pallet or heavy wooden stick till the dirt was pounded out of them. Then they were rinsed (the ladies will knew the process) and finally taken home, where they were hung out to dry on a clothesline in the backyard.
The reason that the river was used for washing, instead of the back yard at home, was chiefly because of the cost of water. Water cost 12 cents per barrel and most people in that era were poor, and kept the bought water as far as possible for drinking. Every house In those days had its rain-water barrels and the rain, water was used for all purposes except drinking.
There was no particular day was wash-day and the ladies went to the river with their household washings when it suited them best. Perhaps another reason the ladies went to the river to do their washing was the opportunity it gave them to meet the neighbours and hear all the latest neighbourhood gossip.
The women used to claim that clothes washed in the Ottawa river were cleaner than those washed at home, because of the unlimited amount of rinsing water available. Three, four or five women would wash at the one place side by side, and the washing process was made less onerous because of the talk that could be indulged in as the washing went on.



Regatta of 1878 and a $50 Prize

Regatta of 1878 and a $50 Prize




Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum Photograph taken by Will H. Hooper.

(l to r) Norm Gibson, Bob Green, Bill Sims, Billy Janoe, Jack Virtue, Harry McEwen, ___, Dr. ____, Howard Morphy, ___, ___, Tom Scott, Herb Singleton, Jack “Baldy” Welsh.

The Carleton Place War Canoe Team of 1905, competing in the local Regatta on August 29th.

Our Canoe Club has a long history of war canoe racing. Supporting the current paddlers with a donation towards a new canoe would be a wonderful way to honour their history.


This extraordinary photo was taken in 1919. A parade was held to welcome home those from town who had fought in the First World War. The Carleton Place Canoe Club put together this float and paddled their way down Bridge Street. — withCarleton Place Canoe Club.

Clipped from

  1. The Gazette,
  2. 21 Feb 1878, Thu,
  3. Page 3

    Through the winter of 1876 Ross went to England and had a shell built by Swaddler and Winship. In June, 1877 hemet Fred Plaisted of New York on the Kennebecasis and defeated him over a three mile course. In July he defeated Warren Smith of Halifax for the championship of the Maritime Provinces over a three smile course on the Kennebecasis. In August, Ross issued a challenge to row any man in the Dominion. The challenge was accepted by Ned Hanlan and the two met in Toronto harbour for $1000. a side. Over the five mile course with turn Hanlan easily defeated Ross. The next year Ross again challenged Hanlan and in July they met on the Kennebecasis over a five mile course with turn for $1000. a side. For a mile it was one of the finest races ever witnessed. At the mile Ross led, but shortly after upset and Hanlan won.

    In 1879 Ross was “rowed down” by Warren Smith in Bedford Basin. He was also later beaten by James Ridley of Saratoga Springs, New York. However, in an International Regatta in 1880 at Providence, Rhode Island, from a field of ten starters including Ned Hanlan of Toronto, Jas Riley of Saratoga Springs, Fred Plaisted of Boston and Ten Eych of New York, Ross rowed well and finished first for a purse of $3000. Later that year Ross went to England and participated in the “Hop Bitters” race. He won the first two heats, but was placed second in the finals. In December, he rowed Trickett for $1000 a side and won. While still in England he trained Ned Hanlan for his race against Laycock. In 1881 in a regatta in Toronto, Ross defeated Hosmer, Smith, Ten Eych, McKay and Plaisted in the trial heat and then defeated Conely, Courtney, Ten Eych and Hamm in the final to win a $1500. purse. In 1884 Ross defeated Buhear of England but lost to William Black for the world championship. He retired from sculling after this and it is interesting to note that he made a world wide reputation in the exhibition of swordsmanship for several years after.


    where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and theSherbrooke Record and and Screamin’ Mamas (USACome and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place. Tales of Almonte and Arnprior Then and Now.



    Ottawa Valley Canoe Association– (Carleton Place Canoe Club) and Lake Park Gala August 16 1893

  5. The Devil, a Regatta, the Enterprise and a Gale

    Carleton Place in 1907–Town Likely to Boom Once More

    Know Your Carleton Place Olympians!

    The Ministry of Propaganda in Carleton Place — Carleton Place Canoe Club

    Looking for Information on Pooh Bell & The Powder Puffs

    Three Cheers for Dave Findlay –The Movie

    Who Was Mickey Morphy? Noteworthy Paddles to Portage

    Family Photos– Mississippi Lake– Darlene Page

    The Young Olympic Hopefuls-1970’s Carleton Place Canoe Club

The Wedding of Rosanna Ouellette

The Wedding of Rosanna Ouellette
Related image
And now we come to the story of the marriage of Rosanna Ouellette to Richard Holden in 1841, at La Passe, across from Portage du Port. That story, now told by 102-year-old Mrs. Holden, is a great one. It tells of the finest and most romantic wedding likely ever held in the Ottawa Valley.

It will be recalled that in the story of Rosanna Ouellette’s courtship, Pa Ouellette permitted his daughter to marry at 17, but stipulated that she was to stay at home till she was 20. And now about the wedding. Pa Ouellette, being fairly well off and having only one daughter, decided that her wedding was to be a “bang-up” one. First off, Mrs. Ouellette had the girl measured at La Passe for her wedding dress. Then the measurements were sent to a Montreal dressmaker with instructions that a  blue silk dress (and outfit to match) be prepared. White shoes and white silk stockings were ordered.

Then at home the preparations were begun in earnest. First of all, invitations were sent far and wide to relatives and friends of the family. The invitations were sent as far north as the Pembroke district, and south as far as Bytown. They were sent over into Quebec province and over 200 guests were invited. Arrangement were made with neighbours to host the guests from far away. Pa Ouellette put up sheds in which to house and feed guests also.

The boy and girls of the neighbourhood became a committee on decorations. From the house to the little frame church was at least a mile. It was decided to decorate this mile of road with cedar and small balsam trees. The trees were to be made pretty with coloured ribbons, which were brought from Bytown. The church was also to be decorated. These plans were carried out to the letter. Pa Ouellette hired three women of the neighbourhood to cook and serve meals so that Ms Ouellette could enjoy the festivities.

For the vehicle (wagon) which was to carry the bridal pair, a team of fawn coloured horses were borrowed. When the wedding day came on Aug. 9, this team was decorated with wild and garden flowers. The wagon was also decorated with flowers.

Finally came the wedding day. It was clear and warm. The bridal procession left the Ouellette house at 8 a.m. Most of the people walked on foot behind the bridal pair. There were over 150 persons in the procession. At the front of the procession was a local fiddler who made appropriate music. In the procession also were two good neighbourhood singers (men), who sang solo in the church and led the general singing which marked the return journey.

Image result for wedding dress 1840s
After the wedding all went to the home of the bride, where a fine banquet was served. Pa Ouellette had killed chickens, turkeys and a fine big hog. The table, to use the old expression, fairly groaned with good things. After dinner the guests began to dance in the barn on a floor especially put in by Pa Ouellette.

In different spots outside, enthusiasm prevailed. Supper came and then the dancing was resumed till dark.. At daylight the neighbours went home. The outside guests went to their lodgings. The next night everybody was back for more dancing. To make a long story short, the celebration was kept up nightly for a whole week. Then the outside guests began to depart to their homes, having duly voted the wedding of Rosanne Ouellette to have been the finest they had ever heard of.

One guest said to Mr. Ouellette: “I am afraid this will cost you something Mr. Ouellette.”  “Ah,” said the fond parent, shrugging his shoulders, “what if it does? What are a few hundred dollars, when you have only one daughter?” “Certainement”, said the guest. “C’est Vrai.” We trust we have given a proper picture of what took place, for it was certainly some wedding that was talked about for years in the Ottawa Valley.

After things had quieted down the newly married bride and groom went to the Holden home over in *Chichester, where for three weeks the pair were the guests of Mrs. Holden, the mother of the groom. These three weeks proved another long round of dances and general festivities. When, at the end Rosanne returned to her parental roof to stay there for three years, as per her father’s stipulation, she was a mighty tired bride.

In another article, all being well it will tell how in 1851 Mrs. Holden went to a farm of their own in a valley near Trout Lake near the back of Chichester. They say that the Lake valley was one of the most lonesome places in Canada. The experiences of the 20-year-old  bride in her log cabin there formed an intensely interesting story better than the stories told. That comes on Monday.


Chichester is a township municipality and village in the Canadian province of Quebec, located within the Pontiac Regional County Municipality. The township had a population of 368 in the Canada 2011 Census.

Chichester is located along the north shores of the Ottawa River across from Chapeau on Allumette Island.

Its settlements include Chichester and Nichabau. Nichabau, also known as Nicabeau or Nichabong, is a scenic hamlet located northwest of Chichester in what used to be referred to as Poupore’s Limits. It is noted for its great number of square log homes.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and theSherbrooke Record and and Screamin’ Mamas (USACome and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place. Tales of Almonte and Arnprior Then and Now.

  1. relatedreading

The Engagement of Rosanna Ouelette

The Wedding of Stanley Alexander Jackson and Margaret Elizabeth Forbes

The Thomas Alfred Code Journal – Letters-Part 15- Code Family– Love and Runaway Marriages

Odd Ironic Wedding Stories –Or it was Almost Lonely Valley

Marriage Records Lanark County, Ontario, Canada– Names Names Names

Till Death Do Us Part in Lanark County?

Taming of the Beckwith Shrew?

A Smith’s Falls “Frustrated Young Love’s Dream” Purdy vs Lenahan

Going to the Chapel? Hold on– Not so Fast!

Another Episode in Spinsterdom–The Armour Sisters of Perth

She Came Back! A Ghost Divorce Story

Slander You Say in Hopetown? Divorce in Rosetta?

Go Ask Alice – The Saga of a Personal Ad Divorce


Cattle Driving — Keeping the Beast on the Road

Cattle Driving — Keeping the Beast on the Road
Back In the early 1860s Mr. Oliver Robert learned the gentle art of cattle buying. His father, Stanislaus Robert, was then a cattle drover, and operated chiefly in the country between Ottawa and Perth, via Richmond. Prospect, Franktown and Perth.

Later, in the 1870s, Mr. Robert operated in this same country on his own behalf. Those were the days when country roads, even the main roads, were things of ruts, corduroy, mud and clay. It was, however, also the day when meat was cheap and farmers took the word of drovers as to current values of beef and lambs. Very few farmers took newspapers, and then certainly did not have telephones, or radios to tell them about ruling prices. But, as Mr. Robert says, most drovers were pretty honest fellows and they and the farmers got on well together. As a matter of fact the drovers had to be honest, as if they were caught In a misrepresentation of prices they might as well leave the country.  Their connection would be gone.
Mr. Robert tells that when a drover went to sleep in a village hotel he never thought of locking the door or even putting a chair against it, even though he had hundreds of dollars in his pockets. Mr. Robert admits, however some drovers may have taken their trousers and put them under his pillow. Some did not even do that.

In the early 1870s when Mr. Oliver Robert started “droving” for himself, drovers paid the farmers from 3c to 4c per pound for stall fed cattle and $2.50 per lamb. Cattle were all “walked” to Ottawa. The usual practice In the case of the cattle stall was to walk them about 6 miles increasing the walk to 15 miles the next day. On the third day if they came from Perth they increased it even more on the third day.

Great postcard of a busy ByWard Market, circa 1909, looking toward Clarence St. Lost Ottawa
 The stall fed cattle was to walk them about six miles the first day,  increasing the walk to 15 miles the second day. On the third day (if they came from Perth) the walk was still further increased. On the other hand the cattle called ‘grassers” could be walked from Perth in two days. They were hardy, The stall fed cattle were bought from about the 15th of May to the 1st  of July and the “grassers” from July. The herds brought In on each trip generally numbered from 25 to 30 head.

In the 1870s the cattle yard where the drovers sold their cattle to butchers was in the Byward market. But the cattle were comingiIn such numbers that they took up too much room on the market and the farmers and others began to kick. About 1880 the cattle market was moved to Cathcart Square. It didn’t stay there many years, however, as the residents put up a kick about the noise and selling got back to Byward market.

While the cattle yard was at Cathcart Square a man named De Rise kept a hotel there and also had charge of the yard. As years went on the railways began to gridiron the country and they changed the whole system of cattle buying and handling and the old-time drover became a thing of the past.

Mr. Robert recalls that bringing a herd of 25 or 30 cattle to town was very often a troublesome Job. They often “dragged” on the road, and often broke away into unfenced bush land or jumped low fences Into passing farms. A drover had to have a great stock of patience, and often had a large vocabulary of swear words.

Mayor Coleman said Carleton Place was an important market town with Bridge Street sees a parade of farm vehicles and animals on their way to market. Cattle had a hard enough time moving down to the CPR station in those days–I can’t even imagine if that happened now.

Aug 8 1913

Fifteen head of cattle were killed on the C.P.R. Track about a mile south of Carleton Place after being struck by a train at an early hour this morning. A herd of 175 cattle had been driven into town by the Willow brothers yesterday and placed in the stock pen for shipment. Some time after midnight cattle broke through the fence ad proceeded to travel down different track routes.

A freight train traveling near the 10th and 11 th concessions of Beckwith struck the largest herd and before the locomotive could slow down fifteen cattle were killed or so maimed they had to be destroyed. Two head were also killed on the line west and three east of the station making for a total of 20.


 - LANARK FMIiS. Annual Meeting of Their Institute...

Almonte Topics Back in 1893 June 6th

Almonte Topics Back in 1893 June 6th


Members of the Almonte Cricket Club in front of the current lawn bowling clubhouse. Date, members and occasion unknown. The Millstone

‘The Almonte cricketers played their scheduled game at Arnprior with the club of that town on Saturday. Our club won easily, the score being 108 for Almonte, and 49 for Arnprior.

Mr. Robert Barnett is paying a visit to his old home and friends in this neighborhood. He is now a prosperous builder in Duluth. Rumor says he will be accompanied on his return by one of Ramsay’s fairest daughters.

Another old Almontor, dame rumour says, will shortly come from Kansas, and another from the far Northwest, on the same errand.




Washburn’s circus, which exhibited here lately, was a poor affair, but the sharpers connected with it found the usual number of fools around town ready to part with their money.

Mrs. Coates and her daughter Birdie returned home a few days ago from California, after a sojourn of two years in the Golden State.




Miss Minnie McDonald, who has for some time been engaged in *mission work in British Columbia, returned last week in very feeble health.  In California for some months, the climate did not agree with her, and so she was obliged to return home.


Image result for cpr almonte

The new train arrangements on the C.P.R. are not as good as the people would like to see, However, one redeeming feature is that it brings us the “Citizen” at a very early hour in the day.

Mr. Edward Leyden left here for Sherbrooke.where he has secured a good position in the large woollen mill.




  • Mission work-The earliest reserves in Canada appear to have been established on seigneurial holdings by Catholic missionary orders and private persons



A sports venue in Almonte
1900 Almonte- Community Memories

Almonte Cricket Club
Cricket was very popular and evidence of the Almonte Cricket Club dates to 1862. The Express, predecessor of the Gazette, our local newspaper, reported numerous cricket related details:

May 9th 1862 Express
Almonte Cricket Club rolling and sodding of the pitch with play to be held twice a week, invitation to new members opening game of the season to be May 17, 1862. Also an advertisement for a meeting of the Almonte Cricket Club.
The cricket grounds were at that time located at the rear of the B&O Railway Depot (Brockville and Ottawa Line)

Friday May 30th 1862 Express
“The Queen’s Birthday – Saturday last was generally observed in this village as a public holiday… About 10 o’clock a.m., the Cricket Club turned out for a practice on the cricket ground where they remained until noon. At 2 o’clock pm they returned, but having no other club to play against them, not even the “All England Eleven”. Sides were chosen and a match was played between themselves, creating a good deal of excitement and amusement among the large number of spectators on the ground.”

Friday May 28th, 1870 Almonte Gazette
“The 24th – Queen’s Birthday – A greater crowd went to Arnprior where a great deal was to see. A procession of firearms, games, footraces and free whiskey made the morning interesting. While the afternoon was filled by lacrosse, cricket and the “TERRIBLES”. Altogether the celebration in Arnprior was very creditable to the managers.


Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and theSherbrooke Record and and Screamin’ Mamas (USACome and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place. Tales of Almonte and Arnprior Then and Now.


Social Note Shenanigans from the Almonte Gazette June 1899

Downtown Almonte 1891 — Thumb Biters Skaters and Widows

It Raineth Every Day in Lanark County–Social Notes–July 30, 1897

The Funniest Anti-Dog Letter to the Editor–Almonte Gazette

Tips From the Almonte Gazette “Travel Section” 1874

Over She Goes — The Perils of Niagara Falls

Over She Goes — The Perils of Niagara Falls

 - 1 TIM SI GOES ! The Startling Cry of Arthur Bay...

Clipped from

  1. Buffalo Evening News,
  2. 06 Oct 1890, Mon,
  3. Other Editions,
  4. Page 5

At the Welland assizes, Arthur H. Day was convicted of murdering his wife by shoving her over the embankment at Niagara Falls, and was sentenced to.be·hanged on November 18th october 1890


From the files of Doris Blackburn/ Karen Blackburn Chenier

 - Poshed His Wife Over tbe rMs Ottawa, Ont, Dec....

Clipped from

  1. Harrisburg Daily Independent,
  2. 11 Dec 1890, Thu,
  3. Page 1


From the files of Doris Blackburn/ Karen Blackburn Chenier


Clipped from

  1. Western Mail,
  2. 19 Dec 1890, Fri,
  3. Page 5


From the files of Doris Blackburn/ Karen Blackburn Chenier


 - Sad Death of a Lad at Niagara Falls Other...

Clipped from

  1. Manitoba Morning Free Press,
  2. 16 May 1894, Wed,
  3. Page 1

 - Goes Safely the Rapids Niagar a Falls, N Y.,...

Clipped from

  1. Willmar Tribune,
  2. 18 Jul 1900, Wed,
  3. Page 2
  4. Protection


    Rash Attempt to Roll Across Lake in “Foolkiller No. 3” Ends in Death

    “NOTE NO. 1” IS FOUND.

    Friends Believe Voyager Survived Trip and Perished After Reaching Land.

Information where you can buy all Linda Seccaspina’s books-You can also read Linda in The Townships Sun and theSherbrooke Record and and Screamin’ Mamas (USA

Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place. Tales of Almonte and Arnprior Then and Now.


The Legend of Horseshoe Falls

Taverns the Press and the other End of the Valley

Taverns the Press and the other End of the Valley

 - ........ ' . :4-.-tJv :4-.-tJv :4-.-tJv...


A long time ago journalism used to be frank and very descriptive rather than political to sell papers.

In 1887 a Perth correspondent upset a local politician because he appeared at a public meeting in one of the local taverns with his hair parted in the middle. He wore a circular comb such a little girl wears at school pushed back over his intellectual brow to keep the hair from shading his “massive, frontal developments”.

There was a “gold boom” in the township of Madoc and that overshadowed politics as it was reported that settlers along the Hasting Road had gold on the brain. The first refugees from the European-oppression countries were also arriving in the same area. These were from Poland, and the reporters at the Pembroke Observer noted that a party of Polish emigrants arrived by the steamer Jason Gould.  The steamer operated on the Muskrat from Cobden to Pembroke, and the emigrants settled temporarily on the hill at the western end of the village before moving to the back townships and were strong and healthy.




The Union House on McKay street around Hunter’s store in Pembroke informed the public of “good stabling and attentive hostlers”, with “the table supplied with the” best the market affords”.  Renfrew village was prospering as the terminus of the “Iron Horse”. Its’ Dominion Hotel, under Craig and McDonnell advertised that its “Table and Bar will be kept well supplied with all that can be desired”. Its rival, the Albion Hotel, advertised that it was “at the Railway Station” and then added superfluously: “free bus to and from Pembroke, Portage du Fort and Eganville stages –call at the Albion Hotel”.


 - w . :4'.r'. L...:.. .lliiMiil aw MMawlill n 1 '...

The County was flourishing and Francis Hincks the Prime Minister that lasted for 10 weeks, had  made his home in Renfrew’s Exchange Hotel in Room Number Six looking for a political haven when Sir James A MacDonald’s regime began to crack.



Most accommodation in those days were in private homes that had been converted into serving the general public. Of course with the growing population and the railways, private homes became too small and new public buildings were built and called hotels with everything one would need to look after the travelling public.

Of course men became to be owned by the whiskey bottle as some said. Newspapers began flexing their literary muscle with their temperance thoughts blaming those in power for the condition of the very wet counties.


Come and visit the Lanark County Genealogical Society Facebook page– what’s there? Cool old photos–and lots of things interesting to read. Also check out The Tales of Carleton Place and The Tales of Almonte

  1. relatedreading

More Settler Routes from Bill Martin

Trip Advisor 1834- Richmond to Perth is the “Road to Ruin”

Some Cold Hard Facts- First Tailor in Ramsay and a Cow Without a Bell