Perth Courier, Sept. 17, 1880
Mr. W. H. Wylie, Carleton Place, received a special prize at the Toronto Exposition for the woolen shawls made at his factory. Messrs Boyd Caldwell and Son, Lanark, took first prize for Canadian Scotch tweed, and first prize for Cashmere at the Exposition.
Prizes for Woolen Goods—Among those manufacturers in Lanark County who carried off prizes at the Toronto Exposition now being held are: Gold medal, for the Woolen Company at Almonte; and also Messrs Boyd Caldwell and Son, Lanark; and Mr. William H. Wylie of Carleton Place.
Perth Courier, November 19, 1880
Mr. James Gillies, purchaser of the Code Woolen Factory, Carleton Place, was in town on Monday.
Perth Courier, August 5, 1881
Retiring—We are sorry to learn that ill health has compelled Mr. James Gillies of the Carleton Place Woolen Mills (Code’s) and the Braeside Saw Mill, to retire from business until has system recuperates. He offers his woolen factory for sale.
1900 – To supply serge for British army uniforms the Canada Woollen Mills expanded its operations here at the Gillies and Hawthorne mills.
1903 – The Gillies and Hawthorne woollen mills – recently working on overtime hours with 192 employees, after six years of improvements under the ownership of Canada Woollen Mills Limited – were closed. The reason was stated to be loss of Canadian markets to British exporters of tweeds and worsteds. The company went into bankruptcy.
1907 – Bates and Innes Co. Limited bought and equipped the former Gillies Woollen Mill as a knitting mill. A Quebec company, the Waterloo Knitting Co. Ltd., similarly re-opened the Hawthorne Woollen Mill.
1909 – Bates & Innes knitting mill, after making waterpower improvements, began running night and day with about 150 employees. The Hawthorne knitting mill was closed by reason of financial difficulties, and its operating company was reorganized as the Carleton Knitting Co. Ltd.
“Carleton Place July 31, 1885 from the Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
W.H. Wylie’s steam yacht “The Ripple”
(43′ keel, 10′ beam)
at Hawthore Woolen Mill, then operated
by W.H. Wylie.
Possibly W.H. Wylie sitting on fore rail.
On Fore Rail – A.R.G. Peden (Town Clerk)
Left on upper deck: Jim Burnie
Read the Perth Courier at Archives Lanark