Church Choir Picnic – 1885 just in front of the Hawthorne Mill Emily Street–A Chronicle of the people of the Methodist Church in Canada— Photo from Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
The Central Canadian was founded in January 1876, under the sponsorship of William Bredin of Carleton Place, with William W. Cliff as editor and publisher. There were 1,800 persons living in Carleton Place at the time and one of them just outside the townlines in the late 1800s was devoted to the local newspaper.
There was a rather elderly farmer in Beckwith who had decided he had worked long enough, so he turned the farm over to his son. A few years later the son got *Western Fever, so the farmer sold his farm and decided to move out to Winnipeg, Manitoba with a lot of other Carleton Place residents. One last time he came into town to say goodbye to…
View original post 116 more words