1952 april 3
Like most municipalities, Almonte has a town crest which is used on the official stationery and in proclamations, etc. Almonte’s crest was, no doubt, fashioned many years ago and now it is badly worn and will not print properly. A close scrutiny shows that the town fathers of those days were right up in front when it comes to crests.
A canoe lies horizontally across the top. In the centre the cross and in the four corners are a cornucopia, signifying plenty, a wheel for progress, a beehive for industry and also a griffin. In the old days it seems that no crest was complete without a griffin as it was a fabulous animal in heraldry and architecture. It had the head and wings of an eagle and the body and legs of a lion or a bull.
Around the outside in a circle are the Latin words, “vesticia nulla retrorsum.” The Gazette was forced to call on Miss Jessie Matthews for that one and translated it means “no steps backward,” which is ( a motto worth striving for but very difficult to achieve under present circumstances). Some years ago, when Mr. W. E. Scott was mayor he suggested getting a new cut of the crest for use in printing. He thought it should be redesigned on a smaller and neater scale. The County Council did this some years ago. But here weightier matters took up the mayor’s attention and nothing was done in this regard.
All that is left of the original crest on the Mississippi Mills Municipal crestis the wheel
John McWhinnie who arrived here in 1821 wrote in later life that he had helped Daniel Shipman clear the land for his house and mill in 1822. John McWhinnie was later editor of the Woodstock Sentinel. He wrote this in a column in The Almonte Express Nov. 15, 1861 p. 2
Born out of Mike Harris’s uncommon sense revolution. Time heals however and the three wards now work pretty cohesively. It is worth knowing however that the township of Ramsay originally emerged from the need to keep the early population of Almonte fed when the Mills were up and running.
Through its links with aristocracy Ramsay included a crown in its crest. At the time of amalgamation Ramsay was, per capita, one of the wealthiest townships in the province. The current township office was built prior to amalgamation by Ramsay. Mississippi Mills benefitted from this brand new mortgage free structure.