Map of the Appleton Community 1930-1940, Drawn from Memory
Appleton, Town of Mississippi Mills, Ontario, Canada
North Lanark Regional Museum (Library)
One whose memory carries back almost to the pioner davs of this little hamlet and who retains vivid recollections of the scenes is Mrs. John Reid. presently residing’ with her daugh’er, Mr D. M Chambers, at 195 Howell avenue. Mrs. Reid. who is a daughter of the late William Young, who con- ducted a tailoring establishment In Appleton for many years, was born eighty-four years ago on a farm on the ninth concession of Ramsay, but she was very young when her parents took up their residence in Appleton. Mm. Reids mother wss Agnes Templeton. daughter of the late James Templeton, one of the pioneer settlers in Ramsay township.
The Templetons and their daughter and son-in-law emigrated to this country from England in the early 1840s. They came over in one of the old-time sailing vessels taking nine weeks to make the crossing. When they reached Montreal thev had to drive to Smiths Falls and then walk the rest of the distance over blazed trails through the forest, carrying their belongings with them.
At that time there was nothing but virgin forest where the village of Appleton stands today. When the Youngs moved into the village of Appleton In the middle 1850s, several industries had already been established there, mainly through the enterprise of the Teskey family, who were among the most prominent and influential citizens of the district at that time.
Robert Teskey ran the sawmill and Adam Teskev was in charge of the woollen factory. The only other industry at that time was a tannery, conducted by J. and P. Cram. There were two blacksmith shops, presided over by Martin Manho. Read more below…