1910 Fire Beckwith Street Carleton Place

1910 Fire Beckwith Street Carleton Place
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 May 1910, Wed  •  Page 1

A muster parade had been called for Friday evening to give out new uniforms which are now destroyed. From here the fire was carried across the market square to the magnificent residence of Mrs. James Gillies at the corner of Franklin and Judson streets. This house was on fire long before places nearer to the fire were burned.

From the Gillies’ house the fire came back along Judson street, meeting the fire coming the other way, an entire block being consumed before the fires met. First from the Gillies house to take fire was St. Andrew’s manse, occupied by Rev. J. J. Monds. The church was a couple of blocks away, out of the fire trail, and escaped. Next in line on Judson street came John McFarlane’s frame residence, Samuel Dunfield’s residence, Francis Gallagher’s residence and J. A. Gordon’s residence turning into Albert street and taking Robert Gordon’s residence and the house owned by Mrs. Code all occupied by W. H. Hamilton which there completed the line of burning on the Albert stret side, meeting the fire coming from the Wilkie residence.

On the east side of Judson street the places burned were the brick residence of John McDonald, frame dwelling of Peter McDonald, frame dwelling owned by Ed. Bradford, C. P. R. conductor, Ottawa, and the brick residence of John McLeod. Mr. and Mrs. McLeod are old residents of the city and were out watching, the fire thinking their own house was safe. They, therefore, did not save anything.

Sparks were then carried over two hundred yards to the stables and outbuildings of Samuel Torrance. They were burned but the house was saved. A frame house owned by Miss Cameron near the track caught and burned. Miss Cameron is now on a trip out west but had her furniture stored in the house. on William street across the river from the fire. The people had a hard time watching their propertyand the buildings time and again took fire from embers but ceaseless vigilance and a bucket brigade saved them. May 1910

Mike KeanLinda Seccaspina this map shows where we used to live at 86 Beckwith St. It is #12 on the map. It was the church manse before we lived there and has since been demolished to be a parking lot for the bank.–CLIPPED FROM
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 May 1910, Wed  •  Page 8

Historical Items
Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage MuseumPhoto taken in May, 1910 as fire rages through the intersection of Franklin and Judson Streets, destroying the Gillies home.

Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
 · Zion Zion-Memorial United Church to the left. A band-shell and the Gillies home on the site of our present Carleton Place Public Library that wasburned in the fire of 1910.

Aftermath of the 1910 Fire- May 19 1910

More Clippings Found About the 1910 Carleton Place Fire

  1. The Lost Photos & Words- Carleton Place Fire 1910
  2. When The Streets of Carleton Place Ran Thick With the Blood of Terror!
  3. When The Streets of Carleton Place Ran Thick With the Blood of Terror!- Volume 1- Part 2
  4. Burnin’ Old Memories –The Mississippi Hotel Fire

The Hysteria and Overbooking of Hayley’s Comet 1910

Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
September 24  · 

It’s Photo Friday!
In 1921 a covered rink with three sheets of natural ice was built on Charles Street as a new home to the Carleton Place Curling Club. This photo was taken in 1994 shortly before it’s demolition. A 1988 engineer’s report had indicated it was no longer structurally sound, and construction of a new facility on Patterson Crescent was underway. That building is still in use and includes four ice surfaces, a lounge and change rooms.
Early curling took place on the frozen Mississippi River in the 1860s. During the 1880’s, the hardwood floor of the Drill Hall was flooded for use as a curling surface. The Carleton Place Curling Club was formed in 1886, and a two sheet covered rink was built into the end of the Drill Hall on Beckwith Street. This was destroyed by fire in 1910.
Carleton Place and Beckwith Heritage Museum
August 15, 2014  · 

100 years ago today, the first troops of the 42nd Lanark and Renfrew Regiment left Carleton Place to serve in the First World War. They travelled by train to Perth before moving to Valcartier Camp in Quebec for training.
Horace Brown, age 18, wrote in his diary:
“Sat. Aug 15 – Busy getting ready. Went over to the drill hall about 10 a.m., leaving on 11:20 train. Marched down, the band led and then rigs with the council, then the fellows who were not going across then ourselves. Got to Perth about 12:20 am. Marched about the town and out to the grounds. We had dinner shortly after arriving. Did nothing much all day in the afternoon. Started a march around town but it rained so came back. Had made arrangements to spend Sunday at home, so went down about 12 o’clock to the station. Spent the night there. I had some sleep. When we left the mayor Mr. Smythe, made a speech and all the men who had driven down shook hands with us. Nearly everybody was down to see us off. It seemed hard when the band played “Should Auld Acquaintance be Forgot.”

About lindaseccaspina

Before she laid her fingers to a keyboard, Linda was a fashion designer, and then owned the eclectic store Flash Cadilac and Savannah Devilles in Ottawa on Rideau Street from 1976-1996. She also did clothing for various media and worked on “You Can’t do that on Television”. After writing for years about things that she cared about or pissed her off on American media she finally found her calling. She is a weekly columnist for the Sherbrooke Record and documents history every single day and has over 6500 blogs about Lanark County and Ottawa and an enormous weekly readership. Linda has published six books and is in her 4th year as a town councillor for Carleton Place. She believes in community and promoting business owners because she believes she can, so she does.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s