Drawing Source: Where Rivers Meet: An Illustrated History of Ottawa by John Dickinson and Brian Young, page 5 by Courtney C.J. Bond, page 15
Two hundred years ago there only existed portage trails, but 150 years ago there were very busy wagon and sleigh bush roads into Lac Dumoine and up the West Branch of the Dumoine River now called the Fildegrand. During the square timber era 1840-1890 researchers suggest that it took 3lb of supplies (tools,food,horse feed,camp gear) for every linear ft of timber taken out.
Three natives employed on E. B Eddy’s DuMoine drive, after a hard day’s work, pitched their tent and settled themselves down for a night of peaceful repose.
In the morning, as none of them put in their appearance at the customary time, their tent was opened, and to the surprise of the searchers, what appeared to be a dense…
View original post 1,205 more words