dow’slake kin its prime
Dow’s Lake was named for an early settler named Abram Dow and was once a huge swamp extending north to the Ottawa River. Dow’s Great Swamp, as it was known, was a tough challenge to the canal builders. Eventually, the north and south banks of the swamp were dammed to create a navigable lake.
The white pines in the photo above were killed by flooding to make way for the Canal and the stumps were exposed when this photo was taken in April, 1959. Apparently, the stumps were cut down at ice level and the axe marks by Colonel By’s men could still be seen.
The causeway was needed because a JR Booth lumberyard in what is now Commissioner’s Park, blocked the route of the Government Driveway…
View original post 1,095 more words