A public meeting was held at Pakenham Village on June 16 in reference to the school of that village. Mr. Andrew Russell presented regulations including the following to the consideration of the trustees, subscribers and others.
Hours of attendance from 10 to 4 with an interval of 15 minutes; and 5 minutes in the course of the former and 5 in the latter meeting.
The exercises of Saturday to consit of a repetition of the weekly lessons, with questions on the first principles of Christianity.
The school fund to be a pound per annum, with half a cord of wood or two and sixpence, the former payable in February and the latter on or before the 1st of December.
For purchasing maps and other classics apparatus, each subscriber shall advance an additional sixpence.
Pakenham, June, 1841.
Was a postal station from 1832. It is located on the Mississippi River. It was known as Dickson’s Mills then Pakenham Mills. In 1842 the village’s population was 250 persons. It contained 3 churches – Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist, post office, grist mill, saw mill, carding machine & cloth factory, four stores, a tannery, two taverns and some shops