The Kingston and Pembroke Railway (K & P) was a Canadian railway that operated in eastern Ontario. The railway was seen as a business opportunity by business people in Kingston, Pembroke, Montreal and New York. It would support the lumber (especially pine lumber which was in high demand across Canada and the United States) and mining industries, as well as the agricultural economy in eastern Ontario.
Incorporated in 1871, the K&P was intended to run from Kingston to Pembroke. By 1884, approximately 180 km of mainline and sidings had been laid, reaching Renfrew where it ceased after 12 years of construction. The K & P never did reach Pembroke. On January 1, 1913, the K & P Railroad officially became part of the CPR. The line was gradually abandoned beginning in the 1950s, with the last operating section from Kingston to Tichborne closing in 1986. The K & P is affectionately remembered as the Kick and Push railroad.
In the 1880s the Kingston and Pembroke railway completed its last leg. The K & P ran three trains daily but only the day train went as far as Renfrew. Altogether within the 24 hour period there were many passenger trains daily on the mainline, as well as the freight trains.
The K & P coming northward from Robertsville stopped at many of the little villages along the way such as: Mississippi, Clarendon, Snow Road, Wilbur, Lavant etc.
The Kingston and Pembroke railway was nicknamed “The Kick and Push’ because the railway twisted through the rugged Frontenac Hills and the old steam engine had little chance to display its full power.