Long Suffering Ended.
Death came as a happy release to the suffering of our village shoemaker, Mr. Silas Shane, early last Thursday morning. Deceased had been afflicted with stomach trouble for a couple of years and for the past three months had been confined to bed during which his suffering at time were almost unbearable. The end, however, was peaceful, for he had became so weak and frail that the last few days he simply slept away. The late Mr. Shane born at Clayton being a son of the late John Shane. He was in his 53rd year.
His wife who predeceased him five hears ago was formerly Miss Cecelia Nicholson. While at work in a sawmill near Chapleau several years ago, Mr. Shane was caught in the machinery and had one of his legs severed, since which time he had worked at the shoemaking business in Almonte, Ottawa and for the past year in Carp, and was considered a first class tradesman. He is survived by three children, Freddie, Belle and Eva, who were unfailing in their attendance upon their father and did all in their power to comfort and allay his sufferings.
The latter had also nursed her mother in her long and trying illness which ended in 1917. He is also survived by two brother and seven sisters as follows; Otto at Clayton; John of Warren, Ont.; Mrs. Thomas Munro, Clayton; Mrs. William McCoy, Smiths Falls; Mrs. Charles Brown, Washago, Ont.; Mrs. Dickson, Haileybury; Mrs. George Garreau, Shoal Lake; Mrs. Fred Little, Montreal; Mrs. Charles Fisher, Janesville, Wis. The funeral service was held at the house at 1 o’clock Friday, service being conducted by the Rev. R. B. Waterman.
The remains were afterwards taken to the eighth line of Ramsay cemetery , near Almonte, and laid to rest beside those of his late wife and two children, Rev. Waterman also conducting the service at the grave. His brother, Mr. Otto Shane, and brother-in-law, Thomas Munro and the latter’s son, all of Clayton, attended the funeral. (Carp Review) July 1918
See rosemarys book- Whisper’s from the Past
|Name:||Silas Henry Shane|
|Birth Year:||abt 1868|
|Birth Place:||Clayton Village|
|Marriage Date:||28 Sep 1892|
|Marriage Place:||Canada, Lanark, Ontario|
|Spouse:||Cecilia Ellen Nicholson|
|Race or Tribe:||Irish|
|Birth Date:||Jun 1866|
|Relation to Head of House:||Head|
|Sub-District:||21 – Ward 1|
|Place of Habitation:||Hope|
|Works at:||Saw Mill|
|Neighbors:||View others on page|
|Household Members:||NameAgeSilas Shane44Cecelia Shane39Eva Shane18Elizabeth Shane8Earniest Shane5Fredrick Shane|
Photo and Text from Rose Mary Sarsfield book-****Whispers from the Past, History and Tales of Clayton” If you want to purchase a book please email Rose Mary Sarsfield at email@example.com or call me at 613-621-9300, or go to the Clayton Store, or Mill Street Books in Almonte.
His Father Shane was in the 1857 directory of Clayton and was Clayton’s first shoemaker. John and his wife Ellen lived in a log house on the lot that is now 2886 Tatlock Road ( not the present log house), His shoe shop was east of his home according to the 1863 Walling Map of Clayton. John Shane died in 1905. Read the rest in Rosemary’s book
he Methodist cemetery and site of the first Methodist Church is often considered to be part of Bolger’s Corner.
In 1841, John Bowes bought 4 acres of NE1/2 Lot 21 Conc 1 which was next to the Methodist cemetery. He also operated the Post Office for a short time. There was a slot in the door as a place to leave letters for mailing. Patrick Murray, a shoemaker, once lived there and shoe lasts were found when the house was torn down many years later. In 1850, John Bowes sold his property and moved away.
Bennie’s land (William, John and James), which later situated a crossroads point became the village of Bennies’s Corners less than two miles from Blakeney. In the 1850s, with a population of about fifty, there was a post office and general store, a few residences, a school and tradesmen such as blacksmiths and shoemakers. William and John Baird owned a grist mill, Greville Toshack owned a carding mill and Stephen Young a barley mill, all of which were located on the Indian River.
Robert Drury’s Harness Shop and House: The leather produced at a tannery usually lead to the establishment nearby of enterprises that used leather. Leckie’s Corners boasted both a shoemaker and harness maker,.