Feb 22, 1901
Mr. Conklin elocutionist and Impersonator assisted by local talent and also by Mr. Hinchcliffe of Carleton Place gave an entertainment In the town hall last evening under the auspices of the Methodist Church. The entertainment received fair patronage, although the widespread sickness and fear of small pox in town at present surely contributed to the low attendance.
David Garrick undoubtedly was his best effort, an opportunity being given him to display his versatility of talent. His rapid change of face, form and manner, and particularly his adaptability to the varied character which be portrayed. were particularly entertaining. His other selections were more humourous and appeared to be pleasing to a large portion of the audience. Mr. Hinchcliffe rendered some vocal numbers with good effect.
Miss Sanderson contributed some calisthenic exercises for which she was warmly applauded. The entertainment taken altogether, was excellent although its promoters will not be much in pocket by their venture.
The church at 299 Bridge Street was a frame structure at its early beginnings, large enough to seat 250 persons. It was more than likely sold to the Baptists by the Wesleyan Methodists when they decided to move in 1888. According to some historical writings in newspaper archives the chapel was used as a grammar school in the early days as well as a church. In 1871, the wooden church was moved (*would love to know where it was moved to) and the present brick church on Bridge Street was built by Wesleyan Methodists, not the Baptists. When the Methodist’s congregation became larger they built and moved to a new church at the corner of Beckwith and Albert Streets. (Zion-Memorial United Church)