MIDDLEVILLE in Lanark county, is just what its name implies, a little village in the middle of Lanark township and it as intimately associated with Lanark county’s settlement days as are the rugged hills that once beckoned the Scottish pioneers.
Lanark village was settled in 1820. but soon the pioneers realized that valuable land lay beyond the hills and that there was a particularly fertile area almost in the centre of the township. There a settlement grew up and they named it Middletown, but there were then two post offices of that name in Upper Canada and the name was changed to Middleville- with the consent of Col. William Marshall, then superintendent of Lanark’s settlement scheme.
A portion of the initial store conducted by one Glossop still stands at the corner of Hall and Main streets. Buggies were not yet thought of in the new land, but wagons were in great demand and in those early days Middleville boasted three wagon makers. The village wasn’t always the model of temperance that is now claimed for it. In fact there were two taverns, both of them conducted by women.
History records the name of Ann Wark’s “Grog Shop” in 1840 and another stopping place conducted jointly by “Aunty” Scoular and Elizabeth Harding in 1862 and 1863
Middleville’s first school teacher was John Mclntyre Most of the trade throughout the community was for years carried on by barter. Middleville School _ History and Names Names Names