A conservative estimate places the loss in the Carleton Place Are at about $130,000 on which the Insurance will be from $70,000 to $80,000, In the afternoon men were engaged in tearing- down the ruined walls which were a menace to the safety of those who flocked around the ruins. The area is a most disastrous one and yet the great wonder is that it was stayed where it was and that no one was injured.
On Bridge street the fire at one end topped in J. Fraser’s frame dwelling, half of which still stands. Right next is Geo. E. Leslie’s store and dwelling. His sheds caught from the Fraser house or the Finley McEwen residence on Beckwith street, but the fires were extinguished.
Along Bridge street, at the other end, the residence of Mr. A. Lowe, on the corner of Albert street, was repeatedly on fire and the fence was burned down. This house was directly across Albert St. from the Singleton block and next to the Zion Presbyterian church so that it was no easy task to save it.
Another frame residence that now stands alone Is that of Mr. John F. Cram. It is the only one left out of five in the apex formed by Judson street and the C. P. R. tracks. It stands a comparatively short distance from the Gillies and John McDonald residences, both of which were destroyed, and the heat from both gave the men working on the house a most strenuous and unpleasant task.
A pump in the yard and continued efforts with buckets, saved the frame residence of Joshua Scott, corner of Albert and Beckwith street. Fire was on three sides of the house and the roof and side walls of the house, the stable and hay in the loft were frequently on fire. But perseverance won out and the house stands.
It was here that Mr. C. E. Davies, the Ottawa manager of the G. N. W., established his temporary office to send the fire dispatches to The Citizen. The main office is in the post office building on the opposite- side of the fire zone, and so the wires were all put out of commission. An operator arrived in Carleton Place with The Citizen representative on the earliest train and immediately set to work. An iron pump rising out of the smouldering ruins of a dwelling was utilised from making the ground connection and while it was still too hot to handle with the bare hands the wire was attached.
A few minutes later the call “Cn Cp” was being flashed over the wire and the operator in The Citizen office was made aware that Carleton Place was ready to commence the story which The Citizen reporter was handling.
On Beckwith street the substantial structure of Zion church manse and of Finlay McEwen’s residence gave the firemen a splendid opportunity to confine the fire of these buildings. And they did not miss the opportunity.
In the house immediately adjacent to the manse was a very sick woman and this knowledge gave the men added incentive. A very plucky act was performed during the fire at the residence of Mrs. James Gillies. The family horse was in the stable which had taken fire and when men around would not do so, Miss Gillies went in herself and brought the horse out.
One man on whom the loss will fall severely is Mr. John McLeod. Mr. McLeod is 76 years and owing to an affection of his eyes is unable to work. He owned the house in which he lived with his wife but it and nearly all its contents were destroyed. His loss will be $2500 on which he has not a cent of Insurance.
Donald and George Cameron, the two brothers who conducted the butcher business, have been particularly unfortunate in the last year. Some months ago their father and mother and two brothers died of typhoid fever. They have been in business about a year and were making good advancement. Their insurance will fall considerably short of the loss so they will not likely re-establish. Their horses and rigs were at their home on another street which was not reached by the fire.
The Royal Arch Chapter and the Blue lodges saved their Bible, a few warrants, etc., but lost all their regalia and other appointments valued at $1,600 were destroyed. The loss is covered by insurance. The order owns considerable property in the burned area and it is probable that a new Masonic hall will be built at an early date.
The future of the Zion Presbyterian church will be decided at a meeting of the congregation to be held at an early date. Many friends and members are in favour of uniting forces With St. Andrew’s Presbyterian church. They were almost within stone’s throw of each other and everyone felt that one church would serve the population. Each was established about forty years ago, St. Andrew’s being the Old Kirk and Zion the free church.
The present St Andrew’s was built 28 years ago on a site different from the first. Rev J. J. Monds, formerly of Berlin, On. and has been pastor for the last three years. Last year Zion church was completely remodelled over $3,000 being spent by the congregation. Rev. A. A. Scott has been pastor for thirty years and it is likely that both congregations will worship St. Andrew’s on Sunday. Only the piano was saved at Zion.
The Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
19 May 1910, Thu • Page 10
More Clippings Found About the 1910 Carleton Place FireThe Ottawa Citizen
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada